Rear spring eye contacts frame

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Hi, I just installed caltracs on my 71 Duster, Springs moved in on frame. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem. I am using the stock rear shackles. And the spring eye is contacting the frame. It looks like at the very least I need longer shackles. I cant find anyone that sells longer adjustable good quality rear shackles. The lower hole on the spring is rearward of the upper hole in the frame. Any ideas. Thanks

I think that is caused by the curveature of the leaf springs. The shackle moves back and fourth to accomodate the spring increasing and decreasing under load.

With tires on ground the rear spring is contacting the frame. This is with the stock short shackles.

Get 4 pieces of 1/4" x 1.25" stock however long you need. Buy appropriate length/diameter bolts and nuts.

Tack weld the four piece together so alignment is proper for the holes, figure out how far apart you need the holes and drill away.

OR

Relieve the frame rail where it's hitting.

I was hoping to just purchase the shackles. But Ill go with crackbacked idea. I see this is common.

If the springeyes are laying against the frame rails, the springs are too long/short and the frame brackets need to be moved fore/aft to get the proper angle on the shackles to allow them to work properly. Shackles long enough to mount at the proper angle and get the springs off the frame rails could be detrimental to high speed handling and/or launching the car.

I think you may have B-body springs or if this is normal, instead of relocating the spring hanger just redrill the leaf. The Cal-Tracs are 2 piece, correct? To find out which leaf to shorten, check if the axle is centered in the wheel well. If the rear is where it belongs, shorten the back leaf.

I am replacing ss springs mounted inboard on the frame. I have seen other cars at the strip with a simular setup. not one of them were using stock rear shackles, they all had some sort of adjustable shackle.

stock shackles are not an issue...I have used them when moving springs inboard. the fact that yours are in contact with the frame indicate something went wrong....How about some pics.

I have a pair of good used adjustable shackles PM me

If the springeyes are laying against the frame rails, the springs are too long/short and the frame brackets need to be moved fore/aft to get the proper angle on the shackles to allow them to work properly. Shackles long enough to mount at the proper angle and get the springs off the frame rails could be detrimental to high speed handling and/or launching the car.

X2

I'd say the location of the rear shackle tube going through the frame rails is located incorrectly. Sounds like the upper spring eye needs to be further back on the frame rail. The rear shackles should be angled so the upper holes are slightly forward of the lowers. From your description, it sounds like yours have the correct lean but the angle is too great. Look at a stock Mopar leaf spring for reference. Relatively short shackle length but the spring eye does not contact the frame.

That is correct. I need either an adjustable shackle or go to sliders. I hate opening a can of worms. Trying to fix what someone else started.

The spring and shackle sitting on the rear, frame is good thing, on a drag car. Longer shackles will get the spring some room, if you feel you must and you should be able to get them from Napa. You want the rear of the car to be able to rise as much as possible, when the torque hits and having the situation you do is ideal. That car should hook like velcro, if the tires are up to it and the shocks are long enough!

69mope, is correct i can redrill the rear section and shorten. Sliders are an option. I removed springs with the numbers 3690265 and 266. I cant find out what application they are. Thanks for replys.

you probably have the bias/heavy duty springs out of an e-body. if i recall correctly they have the same 20" front as the a-body springs but have an inch or so longer rear section. sitting on the frame won't hurt anything in dragracing but sure gives a harsh/sharp ride on the street.

X3 on the wrong springs. By trying to rig the shackle end you're messing with how the suspension will react. If you want to "make it all work right", as opposed to "make it work", my vote is to get the right leaf springs.

X2

I'd say the location of the rear shackle tube going through the frame rails is located incorrectly. Sounds like the upper spring eye needs to be further back on the frame rail. The rear shackles should be angled so the upper holes are slightly forward of the lowers. From your description, it sounds like yours have the correct lean but the angle is too great. Look at a stock Mopar leaf spring for reference. Relatively short shackle length but the spring eye does not contact the frame.

X3

They may be the incorrect spring length for your car , which would likely also be the wrong spring rate........but either spring length or shackle mounting points need to be changed.

My problem isnt the caltrac springs. They are correct for abody. It seems that over the years there were two pivit tubes welded in. neither are correct. one is to far rearward the other a little to far forward. I can correct by redrilling the rear segment.

My problem isnt the caltrac springs. They are correct for abody. It seems that over the years there were two pivit tubes welded in. neither are correct. one is to far rearward the other a little to far forward. I can correct by redrilling the rear segment.

That's probably the quick and cheap fix.
A lot of guys like sliders , which isn't exactly cheap , but is also pretty simple to install..
I have them on my car , but it is still under construction so I can't comment on how well they work.

-
Back