Rear spring front hanger stud spacing...

-

jtolbert

Reaction score
So, I want to build a set of casters/dollies for the rear of my Valiant. Everyone seems to bolt them to the front spring hangers at the rear of the car, so that's where I looked. I had my springs off the car so I measured the hangers. I'm looking to see if anyone has similar measurements, or what you came up with.

Stud diameter is 3/8". The top studs are 1-1/2" center to center and the bottom ones are 1-3/4" center to center. I'm guessing they did this so people on the assembly line wouldn't accidentally install a hanger upside-down.

The spacing between the top and bottom rows of bolts is 3-1/8".

Does anyone have the same numbers?

I decided to find a way to print out a little diagram so I could more easily mark the dollies for drilling, so I used Google SketchUp to lay out the holes. If you want to see what I've got, or try them yourself to see if I'm close, you can download my SketchUp file at http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/misc/hanger01.skp.

If you try to print the file, make sure that "fit to page" and "use model extents" are both unchecked and you have "1" in both the "in this printout" and "in SketchUp" boxes. That should get you printing to scale.

Let me know what you think...I'm looking for verification of these sizes before I go drilling stuff. Thanks!

I managed to get the template printed out and it's pretty much spot-on. 3/8" is too tight for the holes; 7/16" is a lot closer to the factory size. I think I'll revise the template to use 7/16" holes.

-
Back