Rear suspension input needed

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
I have a 72 Demon 4 speed car 8 3/4. As of right now everything is stock no the rear suspension. I am looking at getting SS springs. The car is not mini tubbed or any form of modifications done. Right now I am running a 235/70/15 tire. Hope I gave enough info.

What type of shackles do I get? Straight/Offset?
Recommended shocks? Mainly street driven with 6-12 trips to the track a year.

Most of the guys here like Cal Tracks with the stock springs or mono leaf. The SS springs have a built in pitch that sits un even by design but makes it launch straight. The SS springs are often said to ride very hard depending on which set you get.

Straight shackles, unless you get the off-set spring kit, including the off-set front hanger -- You may want to do this, so that you can squeeze in a larger wheel & tire combo.

I understand the SS springs aren't the "go to" option anymore and the CalTracs are the way to go but my budget doesn't allow for those and I don't need the fancy equipment. I know I want the SS springs and am not worried bout the offset from side to side. I have seen cars with SS springs and haven't noticed the "lean". I am not looking to get every ounce of traction or performance out of it at the track. Really looking to get the stance of the SS spring, room for more rubber, and the comfort of knowing when I do go to the track I don't just blow the tires off. Hope this helps.

Caltracs are the worst riding & noisiest rear suspension I've ever ran. I now use two (either left or right side) 2800 lbs SS springs with black poly spring bushings, Koni shocks (although Bilstiens are a great choice too) lubricate all the bushings including shock with synthetic disc brake grease. It won't harm plastic or rubber and lasts for a real long time.

If you use two driver's side SS springs, you likely won't need a lowering block. I have two passenger side SS springs and they sit a bit higher. I ended up lowering the car with 1" blocks.

I also added a rear sway bar and a LBP 8 3/4" rear end with aftermarket axles and Dr Diff's econo rear brake kit. I run 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials on the car. They are awesome tires.

My car rides, handles and hooks up amazingly well for a late 60's design. Most modern cars don't even attempt to keep up with it on spirited drives through twisting mountain roads.

I'll have it down at Willow Springs Race Track again on the Thursday before Spring Fling this year. If any of you guys have never been there before, it's an amazing event. I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Santa Cruz'ing.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 152
  • Willow.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 132
I guess that means you are gonna stick them out the side,some?

Oh no, sorry for the misunderstanding. I like how the tire looks compared to the quarter panel like my profile pic shows. I am looking to bump to a 275 tire. Then maybe will do a mini tub. IDK about that yet. I just don't have any/enough knowledge on what to purchase without wasting money. The way it sounds I want the offset shackle for the option of a wider tire and mini tub down the road??

-
Back