Rear Tire Sizes

-

Duster71

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster with NO suspension modifications. I'm running 235 50 15's in the rear with spacers (I think they're 5/16"). I hate the "look" and would like to increase the size of the rear tires. I'm just curious, would all you Duster and Demon folks tell me what size tires you're running in back so I can get some ideas? I'd really like to wear some 70's but I'm afraid they'll rub somewhere.

On my 70 duster street car i just installed 225-70-14's and wanted 235's but couldn't find any in 14 inch. This is with a b-body rear. They will fit with a a-body rear also. A 235 70-15 may be a tight fit, but i'm not sure, but i'm sure there is someone here that knows. Now if you want to know how to stuff a 14x31 slick under there i can definately help you there.

Oops, I said I was in 235 50 15's but they're really 265 50 15's.

The springs will be the first thing to get in your way.

I know a 255-60-15 will fit. Maybe even a 275-60

I'm more interested in the height. If I'm not mistaken the 235 refers to the width. The 235's on it do not hit the springs because of the spacers I have in there. I'd like to go up to a 70 aspect ratio but I'm afraid the tire will hit the upper wheel well when I hit a bump. As it is the 235's are only about 1.8" from the springs but they've never hit yet.

The tallest you can get is 28" before you hit the front corner of the 1/4 on most A bodies.

You'll rub the leafs way before the inside of the wheel well. I ran a 235-70-15 on my Barracuda for a while. A duster has a bout the same amountr as room maybe alittle more.

i have ALL stock susp. in ALL stock places and im running a 15x8 rim with 28x11.5 qtp's but i need a 7/16" wheel spacer cuz they rubbed the springs a little.....i did cut the front bottom of the 1/4 2" inches to make sure i could fit 28" but dont know if it was necessary.

I have a 72 duster. My springs are moved with the ofset kit. I presently have 275-60-15 mt drag radials and they fit perfect. I used Centerline autodrag wheels 15x8.75 don't know backspacing. I have at least 1/2 inch of space everywhere. These tires REALLY hook too.

Don

dusterdon said:
I have a 72 duster. My springs are moved with the ofset kit. I presently have 275-60-15 mt drag radials and they fit perfect. I used Centerline autodrag wheels 15x8.75 don't know backspacing. I have at least 1/2 inch of space everywhere. These tires REALLY hook too.

Don

You probably have the 4-7/8" backspacing. Same rim/tire combo Im running.

IM000528.jpg

I have a 73 duster with SS springs, 3/4 inboard kit, rancho shocks. Rims are 15x10 with 5 inch offset. 325-50R-15 BFG drag radials. Nothing touchs but rubber to the road.

I have a stock rear suspension with an 8.25 rear and I'm running 295-50r-15s on the rear. This is with 15x8 American racing Outlaws with 3-3/8 backspace. It gives the car just the right stance in my opinion.

I have P255 60 /15s on my 70 Duster, mounted on Vintique 8" wide rallyes. There is about 3/8ths inch clearance to the spring. They only make contact when I jack up one side of the car. Probably would rub going around corners at 100 mph !! Outside - no problems. I use thin spacers for the front wheels so the car wouldn't look wierd from the back.

i run H50-14 tires in my totaly stock wheelwels... but i cant get anything more in there ok i can get a taller tire but never ever wider...

-
Back