Rear wheels/tires for 72 Demon

-

mghikas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've got 14x6 Rallye wheels on all four corners, happy with how the front looks but the rear wheel well needs some filling.
What size wheel/tire would you guys recommend to fill the wheel well?
All stock suspension etc
Cheers
Mike

635950469396250718.jpg

14 X 7 = 245-60-14 , you can use you centers and rings.
15 X 7 = 245-60-15 or 255-60-15 , you can use your centers , but you need new trim rings.

Frank

Depends on what rear axle you have and how wide you want to go.

You could put 255/60/15’s on the back with a 15x7 and a 4.25” backspace most likely.

On a demon though you can fit up to a 275/60/15 on a 15x8, backspace has to be just about perfect though so I’d need to know your bolt pattern and which rear axle you’re running for the backspace on that.

Last edited:
Depends on what rear axle you have and how wide you want to go.

You could put 255/60/15’s on the back with a 15x7 and a 4.25” backspace most likely.

On a demon though you can fit up to a 275/60/15 on a 15x8, backspace has to be just about perfect though so I’d need to know your bolt pattern and which rear axle you’re running for the backspace on that.
Thanks for the info, can I ask a dumb question? How do I know if I’ve got sbp or bbp? I’ve got an 8 3/4,

image.jpg

Thanks for the info, can I ask a dumb question? How do I know if I’ve got sbp or bbp? I’ve got an 8 3/4,

View attachment 1715198512

BBP is 5x4.5", SBP is 5x4". You can measure it pretty easily

tech-boltcircle.gif

In 1972 all the A-bodies were SBP from the factory, so, if your rear axle is stock and the axles haven't been upgraded it's SBP.

Thanks for the info mate, I’ve measured and have sbp with standard axles, so if I was to go 15x8 what backspace would you recommend?

Thanks for the info mate, I’ve measured and have sbp with standard axles, so if I was to go 15x8 what backspace would you recommend?

15x8 with a 4.5” backspace. With the SBP axles it’ll be tight to the springs, but you can use a small spacer (3-5mm) without any issues if you don’t like the spring clearance. You can run less backspace, but the next common size is usually 4” and that’ll put the tires right on the quarters. Your car doesn’t look to be raised much in the back, so it’s better to have a little more backspace and adjust with a spacer if necessary than not have enough. Just my opinion though. If you hang them out 70’s street freak style you’ll need new springs with a higher arch.

Are you still looking for tires? 72bluNblu said "On a demon though you can fit up to a 275/60/15 on a 15x8" Well I have those (2) tires freshly available! My eyes were too big for my Darts rear wheel wells. BFG's Radial T/A's Never used. They want to prorate to take them back. I'm in MD.

Are you still looking for tires? 72bluNblu said "On a demon though you can fit up to a 275/60/15 on a 15x8" Well I have those (2) tires freshly available! My eyes were too big for my Darts rear wheel wells. BFG's Radial T/A's Never used. They want to prorate to take them back. I'm in MD.
I am, but I’m in Oz so shipping would kill me, thanks for the offer anyways

I am, but I’m in Oz so shipping would kill me, thanks for the offer anyways
On my '71 Demon I've got E70x14 Goodyear Polyglas RWL on the front and I didn't want to changeout the axle's on the back so I went with 15x8 and G60x15's. All my Polyglas are for sale but too expensive to ship to you.
Goodyear G60 x 15a.jpg
Goodyear G60x15 Polyglas on 15x8 MINE.jpg

with just a little work, I fit 295/50-15s in the tubs of my 68 Barracuda. AFAIK, demons and Dusters have the same tubs. So IMO, I would of course , recommend those,lol.

BTW
I remember ATLAS Tires from back in the 60s. They were built with treads out to the sidewalls, and all flat to the road. They looked awesome. Alas, they still could not help my 340 in the traction department. Nor even a 283 59/60 Impala. But they were still good for one thing, and that was smoking. You only had to spin them about a half a turn and they looked to be on fire,lol.

Nice looking shop

Just my opinion but while 255 radials can certainly be squeezed onto 7" wide wheel, it's far from optimal. I'd sick with 235s if turning and consistent contact patch were criteria at all.

-
Back