Rebuild kit recommendation

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
1965 A904, I need a recommendation of which product to select. What "master deluxe" overhaul kit to choose. There seems to be a bunch of different companies out there. The manual I'm using mentions A&Red's, but the web site I found for them is really vague about ordering anything. I've pretty much have had the whole front of my transmission out already to install a 27 spline input shaft and pump. The Bands and clutch plates don't look bad at all, but I would like to go back with new stuff. The transmission will be going behind my modified 225/6.
Norm

transmission on stand.jpg

Check out trans parts warehouse.com. They have complete master kits for affordable prices. When I say complete, I mean they are complete! Bushings filter, bands, frctions, steels, gaskets/seals, even a little"shift kit".

It means you have to put together your own group of parts. I'm just telling you that you should not be thinking there is a kit out there that will be the be-all end-all of everything you would want to build a nice unit. Paper rubber rings seals in one simple cheap kit. Bushings etc separate. Clutches; all .061 thin smooth red eagles. Kevlar band. Selective thrust washers. Shift kit? NO, just follow the drilling instructions in the transgo RV kit to firm up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. NOBODY offers a kit with all thin smooth reds, but that's what you need for a great trans. They're about $7 each; sometimes less. But your drums are cut for minimum clutches, so make sure you have V8 drums to start with. Or you could use lower forward pressure plates on top in both drums to add one more.

1965 A904, I need a recommendation of which product to select. What "master deluxe" overhaul kit to choose. There seems to be a bunch of different companies out there. The manual I'm using mentions A&Red's, but the web site I found for them is really vague about ordering anything. I've pretty much have had the whole front of my transmission out already to install a 27 spline input shaft and pump. The Bands and clutch plates don't look bad at all, but I would like to go back with new stuff. The transmission will be going behind my modified 225/6.
Norm

View attachment 1715702421
You got it apart, do the whole thing.
DO IT RIGHT>ONCE

-
Back