Rebuild sure grip popping??

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I dug out a nice 3.23 disc type chunk to put in my 4 speed duster build this winter. Not knowing anything about the unit I rebuilt it. I bought the rebuild kit from Dr diff. Assembled it per the instructions etc. it doesn’t always do it but every 3rd time I make a tight turn it’ll pop. Like turning out of a gas station it’ll pop like the spider gears are broken and a chipped tooth. It’s not a little groan. It’s a few pop pop pop. But it doesn’t always do it. Wonder what’s going on back there. Thanks.

Did you add friction modifier to the rear end lube? Did you also take it out and do figure 8's in a parking lot to get the additive worked into the clutches?

I did the additive and I’m dizzy from circles. I tried all the obvious before pulling it back apart.

I had a Dana 80 that would clunk and pop every time I had my Fifth wheel behind it when I made a turn under power. I put 385K miles on it without tearing it apart.

Mine did the same thing for the first few miles. Make a bunch of turns and give the friction modifier time to circulate. It'll quiet down soon - mine did anyway.

-
Back