Rebuilding 67 indash tach

Mopar Interiors

  1. hemi446

    hemi446 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    711
    Likes Received:
    231
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2013
    Location:
    Ellicott City MD
    Local Time:
    7:55 PM
    The tach in my 67 Barracuda works but just did whatever it wanted to because of the electronic ignition it wasn't doing more than filling a hole in the dash. So I looked for a solution for the problem without putting a tach on the steering column.
    Here's what I found. A company called Real Time Engineering has replacement electronics for Dodge and Plymouth tachs. ( not that I'm plugging them but here is the website if interested www.RT-Eng.com )
    The instructions say 30 mins or so but not on this tach which seems to be in a change over year. The instructions where more like for a 67 Charger in the way the inside of the tach was set up.
    So here was my solution to the problem of the circuit not being able to be mounted in the tach housing.
    I first removed the nuts holding the 12V and the tach signal terminals to the back of the housing them removed the three nuts holding the rear housing to the gauge assembly.
    Once the housing is removed this is where it turns bad. The three stands that hold the back of the housing on go through the old printed circuit board they didn't hold it on to the gauge. The printed circuit board is held on by two small rivets with spacers. This is where the instructions for the 67 Charger tach come you need to drill the rivets out and they tell you to save the spacers.
    The new printed circuit board doesn't have holes in it to use the old spacers and I wasn't about to drill them, also the new board has metal rings in the holes where the stand go through and the stands where to big to fit. Plus the metal rings are grounded to the circuit board so again drilling wasn't a good idea. Once it was all disassembled it was time to come up with the fix.

    What I did has to find a spacer that would work with the old stands and be tall enough but not to tall so the wires wouldn't be to short. The answers was 3/16 sleeve from a compression fitting. It's a little higher than the original spacer but not much and I didn't have to machine them.
    Next step was the machine .314 off the hex on the bottom of the stands. This is how much room was needed for the spacer, printed circuit board and the 5mm washer on top to hold everything in place.

    After that it was simple all most. My tach had a pinched wire in it and I to make sure it would still work, but I checked the wire and it was fine. I put a piece of shrink tubing on it to protect it and in the end I need the shrink tubing to solve another small problem. The meter plus wire was just long enough to reach the new printed circuit board. The location is moved from the original printed circuit board so I had to slide the wire up the mounting bar for the gauge face and the shrink tubing would keep it from rubbing over time. I held it in place with a dab of silicone but a hot glue gun would have been faster.

    I took some picture and I will try and put them in the correct order so they make some sense. I took me about and hour to do everything so it wasn't to bad now to make sure it works.
    I tried to up load all the pictures I'm limited on space if anyone needed other pictures I would be happy to e-mail them just PM me

    IMG_2094.JPG

    IMG_2087.JPG

    IMG_2091.JPG

    IMG_2099.JPG

    IMG_2100.JPG

    IMG_2095.JPG

    IMG_2107.JPG

    IMG_2102.JPG

    IMG_2108.JPG

    IMG_2109.JPG
     
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.