Rebuilding Trans Lines- Help Finding Fittings

-

BTango

Reaction score
Not sure if I am working it wrong, but I can find the male fittings all day long.

I'm trying to find the female fittings to bend my own lines for my TF727. Pics online of ready made lines show a female fitting on the end.

I'm not with the car, I'm ordering parts for known issues so I can fix them when I get home in three months, so I can't tear into it and check what is what.

I've ordered a tube bender, cutter, flare too kit and some 5/16 nickel/copper line.

Just having a hard time finding the female fittings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20200704-174822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Any hydraulic/ hose shop should have these. Be careful, tho. AN/ JIC is different, it is 37 degree flare. Some fittings have different thread than SAE. I believe these are SAE which is 45 degree flare and same setup (fittings) as most brass flare

If you do a quick Google, you can find pdf of cataloges online for various fittings, Edelman, Weatherhead, others

Any hydraulic/ hose shop should have these. Be careful, tho. AN/ JIC is different, it is 37 degree flare. Some fittings have different thread than SAE. I believe these are SAE which is 45 degree flare and same setup (fittings) as most brass flare

If you do a quick Google, you can find pdf of cataloges online for various fittings, Edelman, Weatherhead, others

Yep. The issue is I can find the male ends all day long, but nothing on the female ends.

Searching for 5/16 SAE inverted flare fittings.

Just post a wanted ad. There are many trashed lines out there that u can get the ends from. I usually buy 5/16 brake tubing, cut 1 end off, slide the connectors on then I only have to flare 1 end. Kim

Not sure if I am working it wrong, but I can find the male fittings all day long.

I'm trying to find the female fittings to bend my own lines for my TF727. Pics online of ready made lines show a female fitting on the end.

I'm not with the car, I'm ordering parts for known issues so I can fix them when I get home in three months, so I can't tear into it and check what is what.

I've ordered a tube bender, cutter, flare too kit and some 5/16 nickel/copper line.

View attachment 1715555982

I`ve always gone to 3/8'' , unlimited supply of fittings--------

Find an HVAC supplier. Good ones have brass fittings in stock. 5/16” flare nut isn’t too hard to find.

Yep. The issue is I can find the male ends all day long, but nothing on the female ends.

Searching for 5/16 SAE inverted flare fittings.

Those are not inverted flare. Inverted the nut on the tube is male, AKA brake tube. The ones you pictured is a female nut, AKA SAE flare I think some cars did use inverted flare at the radiator I don't remember.

View attachment 1715555982

You can buy the complete line kit for a 727 in an A body on Ebay for 37.50 fittings and all. Pre-bent to fit your car.

These work great. Even ordered a B Body set to fit the 727 in my D100, fit great bolted right up with no mods.

Screenshot_20200705-001529_Chrome.jpg

20200705_001811.jpg

All good tips guys. Thanks!

I couldn't find them on inline tubing Car Nut, but I did find them on grainge. They look a little different, but they want $10 to ship 10 flare nuts.

Think I'll just take a cue from oldkimmer and reuse my old ones if I find they aren't fubar'd when I get home.

Then I can search locally for spares to add to the hardware collection.

Thanks again guys!

20200705_093937.jpg

5/16 SAE inverted flare COUPLER?
not sure what you mean "the female ends" where do you need them?

Whenever I look at the premade trans lines, I see nuts with female threads on them. The pic below is from Classic Industries as an example.

Those are not inverted flare. Inverted the nut on the tube is male, AKA brake tube. The ones you pictured is a female nut, AKA SAE flare I think some cars did use inverted flare at the radiator I don't remember.

I'm new to all this, but what I'm reading is that double flare is inverted flare and requires a 45 degree fitting. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for everyone's input.

MA3452M.jpg

Screenshot_20200705-100351_Samsung Internet.jpg

You can buy the complete line kit for a 727 in an A body on Ebay for 37.50 fittings and all. Pre-bent to fit your car.

These work great. Even ordered a B Body set to fit the 727 in my D100, fit great bolted right up with no mods.

I was initially going to buy some prebent lines, but others have advised me to take a look at making my own. Initial cost of tools will be offset by the ability to bend up anything I need (trans, brake, fuel lines) at a later date.

All the prebent lines don't account for modifications like headers and aux trans coolers, etc.

Thanks for the link though!

I was initially going to buy some prebent lines, but others have advised me to take a look at making my own. Initial cost of tools will be offset by the ability to bend up anything I need (trans, brake, fuel lines) at a later date.

All the prebent lines don't account for modifications like headers and aux trans coolers, etc.

Thanks for the link though!

It's your time and your dime.

Good luck on your build.

Whenever I look at the premade trans lines, I see nuts with female threads on them. The pic below is from Classic Industries as an example.

I'm new to all this, but what I'm reading is that double flare is inverted flare and requires a 45 degree fitting. Maybe I'm missing something?

"Double flarel" and "inverted flare" are not separate "qualities."

There are different ANGLES of flare. AN also similar to JIC fittings..........AN is originally "Army-Navy" (at the time there was no air farce) and typically aluminum, originated mostly on aircraft. The are 37 degree flare angle and can be either double or single flare

SAE flare is what you see common in "traditional" auto parts stores and hardware stores. These can be any material but commonly are brass. They are 45 degree flare angle and can be either double or single flare.

Inverted flare is I think a stupid name. SAE flare and inverted flare USE THE SAME FLARE on the tube. Only difference is fittings. SAE 45 flare is a female nut that fits a male flare adapter. INVERTED flare is like brake tubes.......an male thread nut into a female adapter.

Single / double flare..........Single flare is when you put a piece of tube in a flare tool and flare it in one simple operation. This leaves the cut end of the tube "at the end" and is thus liable for irregularities and more important, SPLITTING at the end

Double flare is like a hem on clothing. The special tool upsets the tube in sort of a barrel shape and then that adapter is removed and finishes the flare by mashing down the flare so that the raw edge is on the back

Google stuff like "using a double flare tool" and you'll see

Bubble flare is sort of like "the start of" a double flare but the thing is not completely mashed down. I don't personally like them and see no purpose for them. I think they originated in Europe, AKA Vee Dub and the sickness spread from there.

Google up a fittings catalog as I mentioned earlier and look through it

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...ctors/Eaton_brass_products_master_catalog.pdf

There are different ANGLES of flare. AN also similar to JIC fittings..........AN is originally "Army-Navy" (at the time there was no air farce) and typically aluminum, originated mostly on aircraft. The are 37 degree flare angle and can be either double or single flare

SAE flare is what you see common in "traditional" auto parts stores and hardware stores. These can be any material but commonly are brass. They are 45 degree flare angle and can be either double or single flare.

Inverted flare is I think a stupid name. SAE flare and inverted flare USE THE SAME FLARE on the tube. Only difference is fittings. SAE 45 flare is a female nut that fits a male flare adapter. INVERTED flare is like brake tubes.......an male thread nut into a female adapter.

Single / double flare..........Single flare is when you put a piece of tube in a flare tool and flare it in one simple operation. This leaves the cut end of the tube "at the end" and is thus liable for irregularities and more important, SPLITTING at the end

Double flare is like a hem on clothing. The special tool upsets the tube in sort of a barrel shape and then that adapter is removed and finishes the flare by mashing down the flare so that the raw edge is on the back

Bubble flare is sort of like "the start of" a double flare but the thing is not completely mashed down. I don't personally like them and see no purpose for them. I think they originated in Europe, AKA Vee Dub and the sickness spread from there.

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...ctors/Eaton_brass_products_master_catalog.pdf

I see what you mean on the difference between the male/inverted and female/double fittings and the flare.

I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos. I'm on day four of a mandatory 14 day quarantine for work. I'm inside a tiny room with a tv, bathroom/shower, and I have my meals delivered to me by coworkers, so I have a lot of time right now.

I've watched a bunch of AN videos as well, and even have a 37 degree tool enroute to the house. I thought about doing some AN stuff until I tallied up the cart at jegs.

Looks like I'm going to get some 1/8 npt inverted flare nuts. I also ordered a B&M trans cooler with 1/2 NPT inlets/outlets. I'm going to plumb rubber trans line between the radiator and cooler and run the return from the cooler through a 1/2 npt to 1/8 npt reducer using hard line I think.

Thanks for all the help 67Dart!

Edit: I grabbed 1/8 npt male to 1/2-20 (5/16 tube) brake line adapters to go into the trans and rad. On the lines it looks like I'll put 5/16 tube flare nuts (1/2-20 thread) to go into the adapters.

Last edited:

I just bookmarked this to save all the great info for future reference. Thanks 67dart273. Steve

Edit: I grabbed 1/8 npt male to 1/2-20 (5/16 tube) brake line adapters to go into the trans and rad. On the lines it looks like I'll put 5/16 tube flare nuts (1/2-20 thread) to go into the adapters.
hope all goes well at the QT. please, quit saying "brake lines" for anything other than actual brake lines. you're going to confuse everyone about what you are working on :lol:
all these tubes and fitting can be used for all different things on a car, but we're working on trans cooler lines at the moment.
i'm all for buying the tools and learning how to use them :thumbsup: if you are going to add an external (from the radiator) cooler, get it all mounted first. you want to get all the hard points established. i'm guessing the adapters you got look like these?
mancini-racing-transmission-line-fittings-12.gif

you've probably seen some of these threads but check out how others have done new cooler lines to get some ideas.
good luck

Last edited:
hope all goes well at the QT. please, quit saying "brake lines" for anything other than actual brake lines. you're going to confuse everyone about what you are working on :lol:
all these tubes and fitting can be used for all different things on a car, but we're working on trans cooler lines at the moment.
i'm all for buying the tools and learning how to use them :thumbsup: if you are going to add an exter
i'm all for buying the tools and learning how to use them :thumbsup: if you are going to add an external (from the radiator) cooler, get it all mounted first. you want to get all the hard points established. i'm guessing the adapters you got look like these?
View attachment 1715556613
if so, good. you've probably seen some of these threads but check out how others have done new cooler lines to get some ideas.
good luck

I only used those terms because that is what they come up as on amazon.

One side of those Mancini fittings is 1/8 not, and the other is 1/2-20, correct? Then I would just use a 5/16 sae flare nut with an internal thread to match?

The adapters and fittings I bought look like this:

20200705_222240.jpg

20200705_222322.jpg

-
Back