Rebuilt 302 casting heads available through Rockauto

-
Pardon my ignorance, what makes this head desirable

Don't thank me yet, I could be way off :) Just looked at the pictures. If there is more to it, I'm curious as well.

I believe it's the chamber. Small and swirly.
The small chambers are a direct way to get higher static CR which is a challenge for most LA 318's. Plus they are closed chambers, so you can get quench/squish benefit with flat top-piston near zero deck.

The small chambers are a direct way to get higher static CR which is a challenge for most LA 318's. Plus they are closed chambers, so you can get quench/squish benefit with flat top-piston near zero deck.

Well, I mean, yeah, that's why I pointed out small and swirly. :)

Are there any other benefits, like port shape etc? Anyone?

Safe to say these would really only be a benefit on a 318 then?
273/318 yes. There have been a few that have put them on 360's but the chambers and ports are too small to be effective.

Bigger ports than the 318s from the 60s-70s. But yet still a 318 casting.
The ports are almost identical in size to the other 273/318 heads. I think they do flow just a bit better than most of those heads though.

It's a closed chamber head which can really boost a low cr 318. I cced mine they came out around 64 iirc. The factory 360 596 heads cced at 71-72

Only one remaining now! Hopefully they got some good cores and these will come back that's a great price for factory heads. But one has to think what kind of cores are they rebuilding?

Here's 3 closed chamber heads. THe nearest is a #302, the middle is the Magnum head and the furthest is a Edelbrock.

302.jpg

are you sure the ports are bigger? Ones I've seen were the same...

You will have to set the 302 heads along side the 60s-70s 318 opened chambered heads and you will see the bigger ports on the 302s. Not bigger like the 340/360 large port heads, but yes bigger than the original 318s.

I have one set of stock take off 302 heads and one new reman set from RockAuto. They both have the better port flow design.

You can read up on this if you do a little digging.

Also the 302s have much larger push rod holes too, very obvious.

714, 646, and 302 castings are all the same heads.

1020161100.jpg

1020161036.jpg

Last edited:
Only one remaining now! Hopefully they got some good cores and these will come back that's a great price for factory heads. But one has to think what kind of cores are they rebuilding?

I would say by all of our FABO members submitting notification interest when the 302 heads become available with RockAuto. They are going into production on them again and will more than likely be available as soon as they are made up.

This is a campaign we started a couple months ago to let RockAuto know we want the 302 heads available again. Good work everyone !!!

It is a first class reman job that they are doing, exceeded my expectations.

I would say by all of our FABO members submitting notification interest when the 302 heads become available with RockAuto. They are going into production on them again and will more than likely be available as soon as they are made up.

This is a campaign we started a couple months ago to let RockAuto know we want the 302 heads available again. Good work everyone !!!

It is a first class reman job that they are doing, exceeded my expectations.
Those sure are pretty George.

So if I have a stock 67 273 and I put these heads on, approximately what would the final compression ratio be?

A friend of mine sold me all of his small block parts a year or so ago, when he got a hemi cuda.
There was one set of J heads he, at my best caculations milled .125" off of...
I have never used them, but the chambers are small, never CC them. If you notice, the milling was taking the casing numbers off.
Yes he ran them on a radical 318 engine in drag car that he got down to the low 6's in the early 80's, on nitrous.
Everything he ever built for that old duster was low buck, but it stayed together.

iLx7RH.jpg

-
Back