Rebuilt magnum 360 Noise

-

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
I recently fully rebuilt my magnum 5.9l engine. Recently when the engine is between 1200-2000 rpms it makes a bit of tick/chatter noise. If I rev it any higher it sounds smooth. If I quick rev it it sounds fine. Only makes nosie when held at below 2000 rpm. The motor has a comp cam, new lifters and new heads installed. New Hughes valve springs. Engine only has 230 miles on it. Oil pressure seems great. Never drops below 35 at a hot idle. Here is a video. Tough to hear. Any help is appreciated. One thing I will say is my dumb self kinda cheaped out and bought cheaper lifters. Only thing I cheaped on like an idiot. I have more videos if yall can't hear it good enough in this one. Engine seems to run great.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-ZLNkfG9EUI?feature=share

Hughes lifters?

Put the stock lifters and spider back in it, on the new cam, you'll be happy you did.
Only way to run a hyd roller cam trouble free in a sbm is with the stock roller lifters.
That's just my experience.

Last edited:
Hughes lifters?

Put the stock lifters and spider back in it, on the new cam, you'll be happy you did.
Only way to run a hyd cam trouble free in a sbm is with the stock roller lifters.
They are supposed to be stock replacement lifters. I used enginetech lifters thinking they are the same as the sealed power ones for a better price. You get what you pay for... maybe thats what this noise is. Not sure. What else could be causing this noise? My old engine that came out of this thing had a kinda similar noise with the exact sane symptoms. Only while being held below 2k rpm. That was a 318

They are supposed to be stock replacement lifters. I used enginetech lifters thinking they are the same as the sealed power ones for a better price. You get what you pay for... maybe thats what this noise is. Not sure. What else could be causing this noise? My old engine that came out of this thing had a kinda similar noise with the exact sane symptoms. Only while being held below 2k rpm. That was a 318
What kind of spring pressure do you have and what is the preload on the lifter?

What kind of spring pressure do you have and what is the preload on the lifter?
I am running the hughes 1110 springs. Not sure of the lifter preload. They are non adjustable. The rest of the valve train is stock minus the cam. I followed the install process in the fsm.

Take the valve covers off and see if there is oil splash on the inside of the covers. Where there’s none, the rocker has no oil.

Also run the engine with the valve covers off. Check to see oil at every rocker tip. Use rags to prevent oil spillage sir at least limit the oil spillage.

No oil? Check pushrods for clear oiling holes.
Check lifters for proper operation. Squishy lifters need to be fired.

Take the valve covers off and see if there is oil splash on the inside of the covers. Where there’s none, the rocker has no oil.

Also run the engine with the valve covers off. Check to see oil at every rocker tip. Use rags to prevent oil spillage sir at least limit the oil spillage.

No oil? Check pushrods for clear oiling holes.
Check lifters for proper operation. Squishy lifters need to be fired.
Yea I agree with taking the covers off. I just don't see why it only would make noise at that specific rpm. Not at idle. Not above like 1900 rpm. Maybe the lifter just cant stay pumped at that range. I'm dropping the oil pan here soon to eliminate that possibility as well. Checking all bearing clearances. Sucks that I need to do this on my fresh motor with less then 300 miles...

I am running the hughes 1110 springs. Not sure of the lifter preload. They are non adjustable. The rest of the valve train is stock minus the cam. I followed the install process in the fsm.
If you can't verify the pre load then you cant rule it out. That's where you should look 1st.

If you can't verify the pre load then you cant rule it out. That's where you should look 1st.
An email has been sent to the company. I am waiting for a reply. I will say that i was told earlier before i bought these that these lifters all have factory specs. And all rocker arms have been torqued to 21 foot pounds. I will probably be taking the covers off here soon and double checking the rocker arm torque and oil spray. Maybe I'll even be able to pinpoint a specific lifter. I will also be checking my exhaust manifold to y pipe connection for an exhaust leak.

I'm a lazy bugger, I'd be pulling valve covers before an oil pan. Getting up n down ain't easy anymore lol.
Well I don't want to drop the pan but the first day this motor ran it had a small bottom end noise at idle. It has since disappeared but I am still dropping the pan to double check all is good. Who knows. Maybe I'll find something that magically solves this noise too. But to me this noise is more of a valvetrain noise. Strange how the motor before it had a noise with the same symptoms...

Invest in a stethoscope( a long screwdriverworks too), well worth it and they are cheap .
It will help narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Could be a lifter collapsing and at higher oil pressure it overcomes the bleed down.

What rockers did you use and did you clearance the top of the springs and retainers to the underside of rockers. Ran into this on several rockers even high dollar T&D. 340's were notorious for this when using 318 rockers on 340 heads. You will hear them at lower RPMs and then the noise will go away. With solid lifters it is not noticable.

DSCN0198.JPG

What rockers did you use and did you clearance the top of the springs and retainers to the underside of rockers. Ran into this on several rockers even high dollar T&D. 340's were notorious for this when using 318 rockers on 340 heads. You will hear them at lower RPMs and then the noise will go away. With solid lifters it is not noticable.

View attachment 1715908471
Rockers are stock. Everything in the valvetrain is stock for a magnum 360 minus the cam and valve springs. I will post another video here in a minute that can help hear the sound.

View attachment 1715908471
I did not check the clearance. I was told that these were all bolt on and would work together.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FNW3ZU7iKIE?feature=share

An email has been sent to the company. I am waiting for a reply. I will say that i was told earlier before i bought these that these lifters all have factory specs. And all rocker arms have been torqued to 21 foot pounds. I will probably be taking the covers off here soon and double checking the rocker arm torque and oil spray. Maybe I'll even be able to pinpoint a specific lifter. I will also be checking my exhaust manifold to y pipe connection for an exhaust leak.
Take a valve cover off, crank the engine over till both the intake and exhaust Rockers are closed...or intake closed and exhaust open and vise versa... Take the Rockers loose and watch for how much the pushrod comes up be being loose/released...then back down to compare and verify. Use your eyes and look for about .030-.060 preload but no more than .090 ita easier with the intake off.
Know that stock preload ...was up to .090 !
All share this example of an engine that we put together where the Machine Shop instead of setting the Springs up to the requirement of the manufacturer put them in really tall and they were only a t seat and around 200 to 220 open and they still never made noise like you're talking about. My own Motor stock lifters 300 thousand miles on them I put in Springs that yield 135-seat and 260 open with a stock cam and it's as quiet as it was stock. I believe if it's not the lifters 'which I doubt it's the lifters but really who knows?'.. it's the preload.

Take a valve cover off, crank the engine over till both the intake and exhaust Rockers are closed...or intake closed and exhaust open and vise versa... Take the Rockers loose and watch for how much the pushrod comes up be being loose/released...then back down to compare and verify. Use your eyes and look for about .030-.060 preload but no more than .090 ita easier with the intake off.
Know that stock preload ...was up to .090 !
All share this example of an engine that we put together where the Machine Shop instead of setting the Springs up to the requirement of the manufacturer put them in really tall and they were only a t seat and around 200 to 220 open and they still never made noise like you're talking about. My own Motor stock lifters 300 thousand miles on them I put in Springs that yield 135-seat and 260 open with a stock cam and it's as quiet as it was stock. I believe if it's not the lifters 'which I doubt it's the lifters but really who knows?'.. it's the preload.
So let's say it is the preload. What's the fix for that? My valvetrain is non adjustable. Would I need new lifters?

-
Back