rebuilt transmission that has been sitting

-

7dart0

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to grab an A904 for short money. The owner said it was rebuilt but never ran. he said its been sitting for 5 years unused and just wants to get rid of it. You think its worth grabbing for $200.

Is there anything i can look for before i install it or do i need to crack it open?

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks Tom

I'd say yes, buy it. At $200.00 you can't go wrong. Just make sure it's not a lockup style transmission and is going to fit your application.
After sitting for 5 years, the seals might have hardened and need to be replaced. If I was in your shoes, I'd take it apart to make sure it has been rebuilt, and if nothing else, replace all seals internally and externally.
Just my opinion, others may vary.

ok. thanks for the quick reply. anywhere special to get a seal kit or rebuild kit? Any upgraded components i should go for to strengthen it.

tom

If its never been run the only thing in the pan should be a little clean fluid. No deposits on the filter. If it sat with the converter unsupported the front seal may be stretched to one side and I would replace it. Much easier now that finding out in the car.

I had a vibration that I was trying to track down. swapped in a trans that was sitting for about the same time. worked great. I'd replace the end seals and let her eat.

There's a couple of companies you might want to check out that sell transmission parts. One is Transtar, the other is W.I.T. These are transmission parts suppliers, and I'm sure they will be able to help you out. Depending on what the end use is going to be, there are lot$ of high performance parts you can purchase. If your setup is basically stock, or just slightly warmed up, I just go with what Chrysler put in it in the first place. Raybestos waffle plates in the clutch packs, gasket and seal kit and if needed new bands and bushings, an d a shift kit. No matter what you may read, there are only a couple of companies that actually make transmission components(friction plates, steel plates, bushings, gasket sets etc). Tell one or the other of the companies I've mentioned what you intend to do with the transmission/car and they can make a kit for you with whatever parts you require.
As others have mentioned, you may not need anything other than the extension and pump seal, but until you actually crack the transmission open, you'll never know if it has or has not been rebuilt. There are lots of things you can do to a transmission externally, that will make it appear that it has been rebuilt.

The guy said the a904 was a 67 model year. Is that good or bad?

I'd dip into it just to witness with my OWN eyes tight tolerances and good seals!

Thought that I heard that the input splines on the torque converter were different '68 and up.

SIX225 is correct about the splines on the input shaft (late 1962 to 1967): crank pilot 1.550",18 spline.
1968 up, crank pilot 1.810", 27 spline.
So depending on what engine it's going behind, it may or may not be such a good deal after-all. The converter might be an issue, not one that can't be corrected with a custom build converter, but a possible issue that you need to look at very carefully.

-
Back