Recall wheels on M codes Cuda or Dart

-

davescuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Recall wheels on M codes Cuda or Dart
Could you get these wheels on these cars>

I thought the M-Code cars were introduced some time after the beginning of the 1969 model year. The same dealer literature that shows the wheels also shows the 383 as the top engine option.
If the shipping date of the first M-Code cars is more than a week or two after the recall on the Kelsey-Hayes wheels, I'd think it's pretty unlikely any would have been so equipped.
Dart:
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Dart0020.jpg
Barracuda:
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0022.jpg

First build date on M-Code Dart was C01, December 1st, 1968 though there is no way of knowing for sure when they were started, so it is possible they could have them. You would need a broadcast sheet with W23 in the box. Nobody knows exactly when the wheels stopped, just like build dates things happened after dates of stoppages too.

First build date on M-Code Dart was C01, December 1st, 1968 though there is no way of knowing for sure when they were started, so it is possible they could have them. You would need a broadcast sheet with W23 in the box.
That is close enough that a couple could have come on some.

I looked at getting them from the dealer parts department for my 68 gts in the summer of 68, I believe. They were available then, just too expensive for me, so I abandoned that idea. It was a long time ago, but the number $250 ea rings a bell for me. That was a LOT of money back then.

Agree. Since this was a recall there were liability issues -- it was not like a discontinued part where they might let the remainder trickle through the system. When the letter was filed, they would not have let any ship on cars beyond that date. Now, if some dealers had some on hand, they might have sold them to customers under the table (if they were shady enough), but the wheels wouldn't be on the broadcast sheet for a car put together in December.

When someone brought their new 1969 back to the dealer to have their W23 wheels replaced. What did the dealer install in place of them? I wonder if there was also some money refunded.

-
Back