Recommend A Smooth Street Shock?

-

doc540

Reaction score
Not looking for a performance/handling shock (I realize that sets off a lot of people), so apart from base Monroe's, what front shocks do you recommend for a '61 A Body?

I removed a worn set of KYB's, but the Monroe's are a little too soft for our weather beaten roads down here on the Gulf Coast.

edit:
I HAVE REMOVED THE KYB'S AND THE MONROE'S I INSTALLED ALL TOO SOFT. APART FROM BILSTEIN'S ARE THERE ANY ROAD (NOT DRAG, AUTOCROSS, TRACK) SHOCKS BETWEEN MONROE'S AND BILSTEIN'S? APPLICATION: 1961 LANCER

Last edited:
If you can get the correct length (compressed) KYB, there a step up. I have had issues with the last two sets I purchased not compressing enough.

"Smooth street shock"...?
Buy the cheapest piece of shi, shock you can find.. it will be so smooth you won't even know it's there...

Most people simply don't know that a proper performance shock is about 'refinement', 'better control' of the suspension movements. Not just harder or harsh.
A quality (either adjustable or not) performance shock is absolutely not teethjarring uncomfortable. A cheapish "performance" shock is, like those KYB's for instance.

A set or pair of Bilsteins will be a real good upgrade and just about perfect for 95% of the drivers out there.

I have to agree with BigBlockMopar... Bilsteins or Koni's are good, and they last a long time. I have never had much luck with Monroe or KYB shocks.

"Smooth street shock"...?
Buy the cheapest piece of shi, shock you can find.. it will be so smooth you won't even know it's there...

Most people simply don't know that a proper performance shock is about 'refinement', 'better control' of the suspension movements. Not just harder or harsh.
A quality (either adjustable or not) performance shock is absolutely not teethjarring uncomfortable. A cheapish "performance" shock is, like those KYB's for instance.

A set or pair of Bilsteins will be a real good upgrade and just about perfect for 95% of the drivers out there.

Thanks, you obviously know a lot more about this than I do.
The car had KYB's on it when I got it, and I'd never used KYB's on any of the 40+ cars I've ever owned.
Like you said, they were "teethjarring uncomfortable".

To make certain I don't snag the wrong ones, what Bilsteins that you recommend fit my stock '61 Lancer?

lancer best2.jpg

Last edited:
I've had Bilsteins on the rear of my '73 Dart for awhile and upgraded to adjustable QA1 shocks.
The Bilsteins I had were the RCD 55-R092 shocks.
I think these will fit a large range of years and models.

I've had Bilsteins on the rear of my '73 Dart for awhile and upgraded to adjustable QA1 shocks.
The Bilsteins I had were the RCD 55-R092 shocks.
I think these will fit a large range of years and models.

Thanks again.

I haven't been able to locate a Bilstein part number for my early ('61') Lancer, the specific application I asked about. :(

Take out one front and one rear and get the measurements then you can go from there...you could also call them directly...might be very helpful

If you have the thick black stripe on your American Express, by all means, get some Bilsteins.

I personally have no problem running KYB's on the street.
Got them on all 3 of my Darts. For the money, I think they are a great shock. Having said that Monroe's aren't a bad shock either, for a cruiser. These would be my picks for your car, without breaking the bank.

I have to agree with BigBlockMopar... Bilsteins or Koni's are good, and they last a long time. I have never had much luck with Monroe or KYB shocks.

Kill
Your
Butt

KYB Gas-a-just shocks are the Harbor Freight of shocks, SKIP them. Walk on by, they are crappy. Harsh on rough roads. KYB made another model in a silver color, I recall that they were a softer acting unit. Monroe did make some decent "grocery getter" shocks at one time.
Bilsteins, man!
Yeah, I don't know what I would get for a medium performance car either. I made the switch from KYBs and my car rode better and handled better on all road conditions.

The yellow Monroes are good. I forget what they are called.......gas magnum maybe?

Looks like those are a truck only shock.

If you can find someone at your local O'Reilly who doesn't mind doing a little work, I am sure the gas magnum line has shocks with the correct compressed and extended lengths and probably with the correct ends, too. The only deal breaker would be the possibility that the shock's diameter, especially in the front might be too big. The gas magnums have larger diameter shafts and tubes and as a result they have larger diameter bodies too. It would be something you would just have to experiment with and see.

I just remembered...
In 2002, I read in a Hot Rod magazine article of a company called Doetch Tech.
They could make any shock in almost any configuration. I called them up with the maximum length and minimum length needed and in a few days, I had the shocks. They were not much more than parts store shocks and less that the popular Bilstein, Koni type brands.

What about Sachs?

Anyone used them?
Sachs are OE quality replacements. I installed them in my 2006 BMW all 4 corners; they ride pretty good from what I'm used to. That said, when I ran through RA, the part numbers quoted for the '61 MY crossed to the same numbers for later models...so, whatever fits a later model should fit yours.

I compared the numbers on the KYBs I believe you're probably running...
F = KG4509
Ext = 14.72"
Comp = 9.53"
Stroke = 5.2"
R= KG5511
Ext = 21.57"
Comp = 13.39"
Stroke = 8.19"

...to some Monroe-Matics listed for a '72 Dart (which have the same mounting ends according to the attributes)

F = 32022
Ext = 15.75"
Com = 9.875"
Stroke = 5.875"
R = 31131
Ext = 23.375"
Comp = 14.125"
Stroke = 9.25"

From the looks of it, you're only "losing" less than an inch of compressed height and by that time you're likely already on the bump stops. From the looks of it, your Val is rockin stock or near stock ride height, so I see little danger of bottoming out the travel unless you drive like an asshole over terrible pavement...I'll leave that to you to figure out, but if it were up to me, I'd go with the Monroes...of pretty much any series

I have Monroe gasmatics on my '68 Dart. previously had the kyb and they were too harsh. I like the gasmatics just fine.

Has anyone run a Sachs 030816 on the front of your 1961 Valiant or Lancer?

Something tells me not many have, and even fewer that post on this forum...I'm about 95% positive they're primary market are foreign makes...I'm sure they'd do fine if that's what you want to use.

EDIT: REREAD YOUR FIRST POST-GOT IT YOU DON'T WANT MONROES...YOUR OPTIONS ARE LIMITED...USE THE MEASUREMENTS I PROVIDED TO FIND A SET OF SOMETHING ELSE MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN MONROES BUT LESS SO THAN THE KYBs...

Last edited:
Has anyone run a Sachs 030816 on the front of your 1961 Valiant or Lancer?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much out there for our cars between the $20 Monroe/Gabriel and the $100+ Bilsteins.

While I've never run Sachs shocks on a Mopar, I've installed plenty in BMW's, and I put a set on y wife's Saturn. In those cases, Sachs was the OEM supplier. My Sachs catalog (from 2002) shows the 030 816 front, and the 030 275 rear, as fitting all Valiants from 60-76. My catalog doesn't list any dimensions for these shocks, so I can't compare them with other brands.

I'd be willing to give them a try. My experience says they are a better shock than Monroe or Gabriel, and they aren't that much more expensive. I'm going to be replacing shocks, springs, and T-bars on my wagon soon, I want to run Bilsteins but they aren't in the budget. (maybe next year) I think I'll buy a set of Sachs and see how they do.

We offer the Bilsteins for your application. The set of four are $439. If you are interested. Please call to place your order with any of our sales staff and tell them that you spoke to me about this.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing Manager
1-800-247-2288

lancer side1.jpg

update:

Local parts store warrantied out the weakened Monroe's.

Installed the new Sachs #030816

Don't know how long they'll last, but improved ride is like night and day.

Not rough, just firm and smooth for a boulevard cruiser ride

Last edited:
-
Back