Recommend me a drill bit set

-

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy all. Looking for a quality drill bit set. Up to 1/2 inch fine. Im sick and tired have not having a decent drill bit when i need it. Thanks!

Cheapest set you can find cause they all burn up.

I bought a 10 pack of 1/8" HS coated bits from HF just to see if they could drill holes even as well as other cheap-ies like Ryobi from Home Depot. They were about 3 bucks.
The HF were definitely junk in comparison right out of the package.

I love Dewalt power tools. Last year a local place had a $30 Dewalt drill bit kit on sale for $20. I got them, and they are the BEST drill bits ever. I have replaced a few of the smaller ones that broke, but they work great. The larger ones (3/16 and up I think) are beveled on the chuck end so that they will not slip in the chuck. Let me say that when you burn our bits drilling through metal, a lot of times it is your fault. Drilling through metal requires much slower speeds than most people use, and for larger bits I always use a bit of oil to help the bits cut better.

Howdy all. Looking for a quality drill bit set. Up to 1/2 inch fine. Im sick and tired have not having a decent drill bit when i need it. Thanks!

Try any one of these or a combination of them... The last two are clearance priced and good deals.... The most expensive is $33....

I think this is a good set and affordable:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...t-160-piece/82770/p-1444448125712-c-10079.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...t-246-piece/84946/p-1455229457844-c-10079.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...t-333-piece/84948/p-1455229457714-c-10079.htm

drilling is an acquired skill knowing speed - pressure - use of cutting fluid - how to sharpen - unless you know this no matter how much is spent the bit will burn up quickly I personally like the 135 degree coated high speed steel bits

Back in the day I would sharpen all my bits on a bench grinder. I had a good nac for it back then. The drill Doctor works real good my neighbor had one I borrowed on a rainy day and sharpened a whole box full of old bits.

Back in the day I would sharpen all my bits on a bench grinder. I had a good nac for it back then. The drill Doctor works real good my neighbor had one I borrowed on a rainy day and sharpened a whole box full of old bits.
When the Drill Doctor came out years ago I worked for a large industrial supply company and I think they got more back than they sold hope they got better

I see too many folks that don't know how to drill. Do not go at max speed, you're just generating heat. Use oil and heavy pressure. Use a center punch if you bit walks or you're drilling something hard.

When the Drill Doctor came out years ago I worked for a large industrial supply company and I think they got more back than they sold hope they got better

I found with the Drill Doctor it is easy to mis-use. It really pays off to read the instructions. No Really!!! lol

Fastenall has some of the best bits I have ever used.

What it got down to with me was getting the bit positioned correctly to cut the tip correctly.
After I got that worked out, I have not bought but a few odd size bits since.
Yes, if you don't set the bit up correctly in the collet, the chisel edge will be at the wrong. angle. The Drill Doctor works best with 1/4" and larger bits.

$106.00 ?
Holy cheesecake Bat man !!!!!!!
Not bad price for cobalt
I bought a cobalt fractional set from Enco which was the place to go for low price machine tools. But they got eaten by MSC.
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...12106099#navid=12106099+4287789143+4288232966

Cobalt is good for tough metals - especially if you can't keep the tips cool.
But they are also more less tolerant of bending and jamming.

Otherwise, basic stuff, a set of high speed bits, letter, number and franctional for general use. I think the gold colored coating heps a little, but only a little.
For sheet metal such as holes for rivets, shorties are worth it.
If you have a sharpener you can get a bunch more life out of bit - if you don't break 'em.
wink-gif.gif

Not bad price for cobalt
I bought a cobalt fractional set from Enco which was the place to go for low price machine tools. But they got eaten by MSC.
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...12106099#navid=12106099+4287789143+4288232966

Cobalt is good for tough metals - especially if you can't keep the tips cool.
But they are also more less tolerant of bending and jamming.

Otherwise, basic stuff, a set of high speed bits, letter, number and fractional for general use. I think the gold colored coating heps a little, but only a little.
For sheet metal such as holes for rivets, shorties are worth it.
If you have a sharpener you can get a bunch more life out of bit - if you don't break 'em. View attachment 1715492958
Our Cobalt MAC bits were almost $400 for a 29 piece set. Quality bits but spendy. They would be half that price or less if they weren't lifetime guaranteed. Lifetime guaranteed? What were they thinking?

I actually have a old Foley 1055 sharpener will do just about any sharpening task needed. They are still out there and you can still get parts if needed.

3976bedc65262523ffd27c4910dd0da2.jpg

-
Back