Recommendation for Replacement Commando Air Cleaner

-

Detroit Iron

Reaction score
I'm looking for an aftermarket air cleaner that will fit on a Commando carburetor. That means the hole in the base place should be 4 1/2" in diameter. The outer diameter of the air cleaner is not so important.

Does anyone know the brand and part number of an aftermarket air cleaner that will fit a Commando carb? Thank you!

Basically anything that fits an AFB will have the correct size opening.

TMM is correct, someone used to sell an adapter ring to put the aftermarket units on these carbs. I just don't remember who made them (CRS). LOL

I have an adapter ring(cut alum)I made, works like a charm. Not sure it is right size for OP?
TMM is correct, someone used to sell an adapter ring to put the aftermarket units on these carbs. I just don't remember who made them (CRS). LOL

20210411_095056.jpg

20210411_100821.jpg

The early max wedges used afb carbs with the smaller airhorn dimensions. A repro breather for a 413/early 426 mw should work. You could try Kanter, or others. Im guessing it WONT be cheap.
Kramer has aircleaners for 3705 afb, and 3447. (You want the 3447). The kits are complete, for two carbs, but.... they sell the base individually for $90. Then just figure out the rest you need.

Last edited:
Thats the diameter of an early/small afb. All later afb/edelbrock versions, and holleys are the 5 1/8 (except dominators). I think thermoquads/quadrajets are the same .
The universal aircleaners will all be for 5 1/8.

Original Charger/ Commando carbs have a smaller filter opening than Afb/Avs carbs.

He's talking about the original AFB and he's correct. All the early ones were the smaller diameter carburetor opening.

This is an early AFB. Small opening.

AFB.jpg

Mr Gasket 2082
Plastic and will heat warp don't waste your money.
Never had any luck with these.

Too bad I'm retired, could have made you one out of aluminum, in about five minutes. No longer have access to machines or materials.

I'm looking for an aftermarket air cleaner that will fit on a Commando carburetor. That means the hole in the base place should be 4 1/2" in diameter. The outer diameter of the air cleaner is not so important.

Does anyone know the brand and part number of an aftermarket air cleaner that will fit a Commando carb? Thank you!
If you are looking for a air cleaner for a early carb I don't believe I have ever seen one with that sized base. Many of us have bought a cheap aftermarket cleaner just for the base so we could use the Commando top on a later model (larger) AFB or AVS but not the other way around which it seems is what you want to do. Summit has dozens listed but none with a 4 1/2" base opening.

-
Back