Recommended Area Shops - NE Kansas

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I have sourced several items for my 68 Dart build from a C-Body and would like to ask the local guys their recommendations for shops or individuals near by that do some nice work fabricating and restoring. These are my needs:

Recore a 22" factory radiator into a 3 or 4 core

Shorten and balance a C Body driveshaft

restore/rebuild a set of 73 discs with UCA's

Any leads in and around the Topeka Area, including KC, would help me out a great deal. Thanks everybody!!View attachment 7241877.jpg

Any competent radiator shop should be able to handle the job. A driveline company can handle your driveshaft. With the information available on the internet, anyone can handle the brake stuff in their driveway. Send your axles to Moser or Strange to be resplined or just buy correct A body axles.

I was trying to get some recommendations for a good driveline shop and radiator shop locally. Thank you Brian for the axle information and the tip about needing a driveway.

Sorry man, I guess we don't have any members in Topeka?!?

I used Inland Truck Parts here in KC for my drive shaft. They are up by Worlds of Fun. They shortened mine and rebalanced it for a reasonable price when I put the Dana in.

I tried to find you a radiator shop in Topeka, but couldn't come up with anything with great reviews. You might talk to Midwest Radiator, their website says that they have 80 years of experience and they have a request a quote link.

I'm serious about doing the brakes yourself. They are not that hard and this website alone has hundreds of threads to help you out along the way. Get a small parts washer and have someone press in the new bushings, and the rest can be done with hand tools.

Bingo! Thanks man. That's what i was looking for was some suggestions. I have no problem taking anything to KC if it means it's going to get done right. What I really need is a blasting case so I can blast away the years of junk that collects over the decades. And a parts washer and a bigger garage to fit it all in!! Great advice and I'm thankful you helped me out.

I would look on Craigslist and see if you can find a parts washer. Instead of buying a blaster I would try and find someone local who does sand blasting or has a blast cabinet.

B&D radiator in Mclouth Ks is only one that I would let touch a radiator in NE Ks. Owners name is Brad and he is as honest as they come and does excellent work on radiators and gas tanks You can see if earl Kamshroder is still doing rear end work. I think he is in big springs outside topeka. not sure how last name is spelled. I am in Topeka fyi if you need anything let me know

Andy, Put Randy's butt to work helping you on that stuff. Tell him I said he should do it! LOL BTW ya know anywhere around here that I can find a disc brake set up for my Scamp? Jim

Randy’s starting a new job in Feb. Social Security, so he says he’ll be pretty wrapped up. I just kept looking on craigslist and found a donor Scamp with 73-up Discs in MO. Need 73-up to use for your swap for the bigger upper Control Arms. This is if you want Big Bolt Pattern on your car, more wheel options if you want to get a way from being limited to 14” wheels. These also have the single piston calipers which are less troublesome than the 2 piston Kelsy-Hayes types in earlier models. Several members on here have been a big help with helping me find the stuff I need. Casius (Clay) is from Overbrook and he has a lot of A Body Parts around. He could point you in the direction of it if he doesn’t have them. It’s a good upgrade. I’ve sold my Scamp but am going to use the disc setup on my Dart.

Orr Radiator in KC KS would be able to do the radiator. Bill at NORTH manufacturing can do the driveshaft, KCMO, had great work done by him. He may be able to do the axle as well, but I have only used him for driveshaft work in the past.

Andy, Topeka Truck Parts in south Topeka can do your driveshaft also Mienholt's does shafts all the time but might be a bit $$$. BTW I found all my disc brake stuff this past week and made a trip to Lyons Ks. to pick them up Sat. Now all I need to do is get off my butt and get started on my Scamp :)

Jim

Attachments

• 00505_aCE2jm69Bwy_600x450.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 284
I very happy for all of the responses to this. Makes life much simpler when others can recommend places they’ve already had a good experience at. Glad to hear you found your brakes Jim. Those trips for parts are always an adventure. Planning on building a lean-to off my house this spring so I too can get off my butt and make things start happening with the Dart.

I live in st joe. We've got a radiator shop but I don't know anything about them. We also have a shop called Bollin truck and auto parts. They do driveshafts, they do good work but I don't know prices sorry. If you find a shop that will cut and respline your c-body axles, please let me know cause I'm looking to do the same thing.

I’m gonna try one that someone above recommended, not sure which. I’ll post once it’s done.

There is a shop in Scott City, Musclecar Station (I know it's not too close to Topeka, but may be worth looking into.). I don't know much about th eowner, but Nick, who works there is building a BADASS 63 Dodge AFX car... His fab skills are pretty impressive. I know they do great work.

I live in Topeka. I have a blasting cabinet and I powder coat also. I have a 6' x 3' x 3' oven, so I can do just about anything. I'll hook you up with some very reasonable Mopar Buddy discounts.

Great to know Mike, I will need your services sometime soon when I begin on my suspension.

I just joined fabo and am doing a 68 barracuda. I live near Topeka also. I work with a ton of motor heads so maybe we can swap ideas. And places to get work done. Larry

Well, I just bought my axles today so my 8 3/4 is ready to get put together Larry B. I’ve got a name already from acpat but do you know anybody doing rear assemblies? Welcome to FABO. Invaluable help from these guys when you’ve got a question.

Andy, what all do you need on that rear assembly?? I have a friend that did the gear on my 96 INDY RAM and did a great job. Either pm me or give me a call. Randy has my #

Jim

If it’s no sweat. then yes. Let me know what he wants to assemble an 8 3/4 with Sure Grip. I’ve got everything so I’ll just need his time and tools. Thanks

-
Back