Recommended Brand of Valves

-

Grumpyoldman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't sleep and thinking - I know old men should not think, but I am curious what is a recommended brand (manufacturer) of valves for a mild, or maybe a bit more than mild, 318 with 920 heads with 1.78 Intake and 1.50 Exhaust. Strictly street daily driver. I just cannot see the cost of Ferrea and some others for a build of this type. Should I just go to NAPA and get whatever they have. Is there truly a difference in one brand to the next? Thanks to all for the advice.

Just from my thinking, any of the mid range valves would fit your application.

I'd use Ferrea exhaust valves, since I think I won't need hardened seats. Intakes don't matter. Have you miced the intake stems to see how much they are worn? I may have a set of new intakes. I'll look. Use MP or Fel-Pro Viton stem seals.

“Most” direct replacement valves for that application are likely going to be made in China, unless you find some older stock sitting on a shelf somewhere.
I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just letting you know what you’re likely to find.

For a mild street motor, they’d be fine.

The same is true for the very budget friendly stainless valves....... made in China........ but I’m not sure you’ll find those available as direct replacements for SB Mopar 1.78/1.50.

If you are doing guides you could switch over to chevy valves
as said above watch the head shape

I've had good luck with Si valves... one of my engine uses them in a lot of dirt track motors. Might be $10-12 each.

Yep, i would consider using an 11/32 stem valve ... you could cut a 1.94 down to 1.78 and probably find a 1.55 or just cut a 1.60 to 1.50 if you want...
The price for your machinist to do it "cut diameter down" ..though it might negate the cheap part...but maybe they're cool and will do it for a 18 pack pizza.

Can't sleep and thinking - I know old men should not think, but I am curious what is a recommended brand (manufacturer) of valves for a mild, or maybe a bit more than mild, 318 with 920 heads with 1.78 Intake and 1.50 Exhaust. Strictly street daily driver. I just cannot see the cost of Ferrea and some others for a build of this type. Should I just go to NAPA and get whatever they have. Is there truly a difference in one brand to the next? Thanks to all for the advice.

What do the margins on the stock valves look like? If they are still good and wide, I'd reuse them. They're better than any China valve you can buy.

Last edited:
You're going to have to show me proven strength test between an old stock valve and a new stainless Chinese valve for me to believe that ...secondly just the shape alone sucks for flow, so you're not going to make more power with that old piece of **** valve ...sorry. lol

You're going to have to show me proven strength test between an old stock valve and a new stainless Chinese valve for me to believe that ...secondly just the shape alone sucks for flow, so you're not going to make more power with that old piece of **** valve ...sorry. lol
Have to agree with the comment concerning the Chinesium valves.
Folks like to complain about the quality of auto parts made in China,
but don’t seem to have issues with the cell phones, flat screen TV’s and computers that are made there.

I reuse motorhome/ truck valves they for sure are better with hard chrome stems and stellite faces or Inconel on the exhausts
stock intakes the flash chrome is usually gone
on all new valves I od hone the stems- shows quality in how may strokes it takes the hone to "come in"
EDIT
There used to be a valve re-builder downtown LA across from Legion Stadium home of wrestling and roller derby- now a church
You could take in a basket of valves, they would grind, HARD chrome, finish grind (to my specs) stellite faces if necessary, hard tips properly ground
at much less than the price of new valves
They did mostly HD industrial and Marine and you had to know someone to be a customer- they had no time for BS
sorry they are long gone
They would grind the margin any way you specified and back face

Last edited:
-
Back