Refresh or Rebuild: One Cooked 4.0

-
Reaction score
I originally posted about this over on /jeepforum/ and a friendly recommendation came through to seek out you folks. Said there was quite a wealth of knowledgeable people on here that would be more likely to steer me in the right direction, despite the fleeting connection between AMCs classic motor and the motors traditionally discussed here.

So, to go over the details:

I purchased a super nice '97 XJ Cherokee for a steal ($1k) about 6 years ago and has sat as a project car ever since, as I'm bad about getting to projects until I either need to use or move them. It was sold to me so cheaply (even totaled ones are about $3.5k here) because the guy told me he knew he had ruined the motor and he couldn't keep it just sitting there or it'd eventually get towed. Told me it had a cracked block and poured coolant out faster than you could pour it in and inevitably he had to drive it from Sacramento to Reno with no coolant, where it sat until he sold it to me. Did make it though.

So fast forward to recently when I decide to dig into it. Turns out the reason coolant would pour out faster than you could pour it in, was someone had stacked 5 or 6 paper gaskets on the water-pump. Figure I have nothing to lose, so I check the oil and it's clean, pour some water in it and fire it up. Pumping tons of exhaust into the cooling system, but no coolant into the bores or oil. In fact, runs quiet and downright smooth. Decide it's worth tearing apart and doing a real look at it.

Pulled the head and it was a total loss; no surprise there. Absolutely surprised the motor ran that well with that head though. Even more amazing it wasn't breathing any coolant; other way around. Cracked all the way stem to stern, between every valve and cylinder. Checked the deck on the block after cleaning it well; checked with a machinists straight-edge (certified .001 accuracy) on both sides, front to back and between the bores. For some reason I don't have a 1 thou feeler, but I do have a .0015 and it takes some finagling but at the worst spot, you can wiggle it through with some work and determination. No chance of it fitting under the straight-edge anywhere else. If I had to guess, I'd say it's right around .001 of actual gap--either way, still well within listed tolerance for deck flatness.

Then pulled the pan and checked the bearings; they look great for a motor with 250k, let alone one abused so badly. Good enough that I'd have no issue running them in a motor I relied on. Turned the motor over by hand and checked for any visually noticeable piston slap and everything was fine there. Cam lobes show no wear either. Can't easily check cam and crank endplay, but it seems to be fine (motor is still in the vehicle). Overall about inline with what I expect from these motors--very little to nearly no wear despite the mileage. The motors themselves only seem to accrue wear when something is actively wrong with them.

That said, I checked the bores and that's where I find an issue. Haven't checked taper yet, but I checked out-of-round, and every cylinder is within .0005 to .001 of roundness, except #2 which is .003 out perpendicular to the thrust surface of the bore. Every bore also has pristine cross-hatching except #2, which has perfect cross-hatching parallel to thrust (left-right of bore) but perpendicular, it's smoothly worn. When I say smooth, you can't catch anything with a fingernail and even the ball-point of my bore-gauge glides over with ease. Whatever happened to it, it wore well, just wore too much. If I had to guess, I'd say this is unrelated to the overheating--this is something the motor has been doing for a long time.

I've refreshed a few motors over the years, but I would not call myself a seasoned rebuilder, and this is the first time I've come across an out-of-round bore that has worn itself oblong in the wrong direction. Frankly, I don't know what to make of it.

I went into this project expecting to build a motor, but at the same time, I have all the parts already on-hand to just do a quick refresh, including a new head, some lifters, oil pump, etc, minus honing and rings because of #2. Can't hone a cylinder that far out. Or at least, you can, but you definitely shouldn't. Refresh vs rebuild at this point is the difference between nothing out of pocket besides odds and ends plus a few weekends, and a major time and money investment. Again, not that I wasn't expecting it to start, but there's a huge difference in cash and time investment there.

That's the end of the technical details. I'm a bit long-winded, I know. As a side tangent, the purpose for getting it back on the road now, is that I'm looking to sell my new car (Veloster N) and just commute with the Cherokee for now. It's fully loaded, has highway gears and despite needing a clean, is like new inside, so it makes a good candidate for driving to work and back compared to my other cars. Will get less mileage than the new car, but it can also take 87 instead of high-test. New car is going because it ran into some serious mechanical issues; dealer had a hard time getting parts for it, and despite getting it back, it still doesn't run right. What good is a 100k/10yr warranty if they fight you at every turn on it? I don't care what they say, fuel washing the rings won't get you a 35 psi difference in compression between cylinders and it certainly still wouldn't be down on compression after it's "fixed." Plus, I suspect we're all headed for some bad times in this country, and being my only debt, I'm tempted to do away with it anyhow, especially since I can actually make a profit given how topsy-turvy the market has gone.

As a final tangent, I don't know how much I believe the guy I bought the Cherokee from, driving Sacramento to Reno with no coolant, but I did have a '98 Wrangler I drove for over a year (unknowingly) without a water-pump. Didn't suspect anything because it never overheated. Only looked into it because it would get warm if I climbed a long, steep grade, but still wouldn't overheat. When I eventually pulled the pump, I found it had no impeller. Motor was keeping itself cool off just convection alone. Does make me wonder if he thought it had no coolant, as there is a level that will remain in the block, but won't get pumped out once the level is low enough. Bottom radiator hose was still full.

That's a tough call, if you can't hone it out, that greatly increases the cost having to pull it out and have it bored. If you think it could be 'good enough' with an aggressive hone, it might be worth risking it. Like you said, it's done this over time and still appears to run good, these 4.0's are pretty solid motors. If you do have to get it bored out to clean it up, resulting in new pistons, I would also grab an old set of 258 rods and a 258 crank and make a 4.5l stroker out of it. I had a 4.6l stroker out of mine with a 30 thou overbore, the increase in power was worth the couple hundred bucks for a used crank and rods.

LS swap it

GreatRectangularIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

If it were me, I'd put the head on now and not worry about #2. Motors run plenty long with worn bores. If there's no galling or aluminum stuck to the bore wall, I'd just go with it. It may eat a bit of oil, but my wife's 276k 4.0L in her TJ gobbles up a quart every ~2k miles and it still hasn't ever stranded us. I'd trust it to go on down to mexico and back tomorrow if we had to.

In the meantime, knowing the shortblock is worn, I'd be building a new one. One that's been overheated/abused and may have hidden issues wouldn't be my first choice for a rebuild anyway. Even if everything seems mechanically OK, you never know what you'll find later. You may find nothing - but it can cost a bit to get to that point.

Take some of the money you've been using to pay off the newer car and put it toward a rebuilt shortblock/longblock/stroker or your own build if you can find a local shop you trust. That way, within a year you can have a 'new' motor in there and you'll be good to go. You'll also be paying into parts/goods rather than into interest, FWIW.

Since the vehicle has high miles, despite looking in very good shape, you'll also get a chance with the 'refreshed' motor to figure out what else may be lurking or need repairing. IMO, there's nothing worse than taking 6 months to get an engine 100% rebuilt, only to find you needed new axles and suspension right after putting it back on the road.

Worst case, you get it together and blow it up - all you're really out is some time and a couple gaskets. Everything else will swap over to a new engine if/when that time comes.

You might be surprised to know that it doesn't take much fuel wash to to drop the pressure so low that the engine won't even start. My guess is that could amount to over 100 psi, cuz auto decompressors sometimes drop the pressure in lawn tractors to 60psi and they start just fine on that..

If it were me, I'd put the head on now and not worry about #2. Motors run plenty long with worn bores. If there's no galling or aluminum stuck to the bore wall, I'd just go with it. It may eat a bit of oil, but my wife's 276k 4.0L in her TJ gobbles up a quart every ~2k miles and it still hasn't ever stranded us. I'd trust it to go on down to mexico and back tomorrow if we had to.

In the meantime, knowing the shortblock is worn, I'd be building a new one. One that's been overheated/abused and may have hidden issues wouldn't be my first choice for a rebuild anyway. Even if everything seems mechanically OK, you never know what you'll find later. You may find nothing - but it can cost a bit to get to that point.

Take some of the money you've been using to pay off the newer car and put it toward a rebuilt shortblock/longblock/stroker or your own build if you can find a local shop you trust. That way, within a year you can have a 'new' motor in there and you'll be good to go. You'll also be paying into parts/goods rather than into interest, FWIW.

Since the vehicle has high miles, despite looking in very good shape, you'll also get a chance with the 'refreshed' motor to figure out what else may be lurking or need repairing. IMO, there's nothing worse than taking 6 months to get an engine 100% rebuilt, only to find you needed new axles and suspension right after putting it back on the road.

Worst case, you get it together and blow it up - all you're really out is some time and a couple gaskets. Everything else will swap over to a new engine if/when that time comes.
I tend to agree with post #4, lots of engines have ran fine with worn bores.
I would use a dingle berry ball hone to re new the cross hatch, put new rings on the pistons, use the new head and call it a day. Drive it some to get a feel for what else it may need, remembering that you only have a grand and the few new parts in it.
Then make the determination if you want to really fix it for the long haul or flip it.

I tend to agree with post #4, lots of engines have ran fine with worn bores.
I would use a dingle berry ball hone to re new the cross hatch, put new rings on the pistons, use the new head and call it a day. Drive it some to get a feel for what else it may need, remembering that you only have a grand and the few new parts in it.
Then make the determination if you want to really fix it for the long haul or flip it.

Just my personal opinion but I think the risk of the dingle ball leaving grit or something in the engine and causing other failures is higher than just running the short-block as-is. Like I said, that's just my $.02. Either way, I wouldn't spend on a full rebuild at the stage OP is currently at.

Just my personal opinion but I think the risk of the dingle ball leaving grit or something in the engine and causing other failures is higher than just running the short-block as-is. Like I said, that's just my $.02. Either way, I wouldn't spend on a full rebuild at the stage OP is currently at.
That is a call one has to make, I have done the dingle berry hone, then scrubbed the bores with hot soapy water and a brissel brush. Worked for me.

That is a call one has to make, I have done the dingle berry hone, then scrubbed the bores with hot soapy water and a brissel brush. Worked for me.

Agreed. Me, I make a mess out of anything with spinning parts so I wouldn't. Other people have fewer issues or just make less of a mess than me! hah.

I suspect a leaky fuel injector on #2. With the water pump smack in front of cylinder #1, that's the one that usually gets egg shaped first. Since #1 is fine and #2 is ovaled, I'd definitely check that injector.

Another thought is hone #2 with the ball hone, then put 0.005" oversized rings on that piston (gapped, of course).

Thanks for all this golden advice; makes the decision considerably easier to make, and has given me some insight I didn't even consider before, like mpgmike's suggestion with the possible leaky fuel injector. That's an easy thing to test and if it happens to be the case, an easy fix and way to stop further damage.

As for honing, I'm leaning towards leaving the bore alone. I've seen people do a lot of damage with a "just a hone" before. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like I'd just make it worse.

Pull it on out and apart and see what it needs. Jeep I6s are hardcore. It might not need a lot.

4.0’s are without a doubt the best engineered engine. With that said you should be able to find a replacement very easy and very cheap. When Rambler made these bad boys they had it together!

4.0’s are without a doubt the best engineered engine. With that said you should be able to find a replacement very easy and very cheap. When Rambler made these bad boys they had it together!

I paid $50 for mine, ran great but I built it into a stroker.

We have a bunch of 4.0’s with over 200000 on them but the bodies-pretty ugly!!

I have a 4.6 stroker sitting in the garage awaiting the cylinder head & oil pump.

Engine2.png

Wow, sorry for the very late update, but it took me way longer to get it running than I expected. Nothing to do with the Jeep, just related things. Like jabbed my head on the transmission crossmember stud when changing the trans fluid and filter. Tore my scalp from stem to stern. You know, there was a solid half-second there I felt my head and thought I was fine, and then just a waterfall of blood. Drove myself to the ER with a towel wrapped around my neck and practicing meditation while driving to prevent from hyperventilating and passing out. All in all, it ended up healing really well and pretty dang quick. Can't even feel the scar and it's not noticeable through my hair. That said, worst part of the whole experience was finding out that removing all the staples isn't covered under my initial visit and my government employee insurance sucks. Ended up having my brother remove them at the kitchen table. What an awful experience.

But then other stuff popped up, like finding out my brother has been driving his 2.3 Ranger for at least 20k miles with only a quart of metal shavings as its lubricant. He's been complaining a lot lately that it has no guts. Best I can figure without pulling the valve cover, is that he now has circular cams. Motor sounds beautiful though. Debris was all silver, no copper or gold, so I think the bearings have somehow miraculously survived while the cams were starved for oil. Possibly helped or hindered by the fact that according to him, the temp gauge stopped working ages ago and the truck's heater never gets hot. Apparently been that way for even longer than the "oil." Verified the truck never got above 138*F even on the highway (on a 90*F day). Changed his thermostat and temp sensor, which became a fiasco. Turns out Mazda/Ford pulled an AMC era Jeep move and just used whatever sensor, and the connector for it that fit, that was sitting in the bin. Had to modify the plug to use the "correct" sensor, which is a different design but compatible.

Also had to go out and scavenge a few minor junkyard parts and random bolts and hardware from Fastenal. But in the end, I got everything finally buttoned up, turned her over and broke her in. To be fair, I first fired her up 2 weeks ago. Motor had the bare minimum together required to physically fire. Just wanted to make sure she was actually going to live. Made the world's worst racket on start-up, but went away after a second or so and ran smooth. Only ran the motor for 10 seconds or so. Has the original cam but new lifters, so I decided to break it in just to be safe. Fired up instantly, heard a single loud clunk, and then ran smooth and quiet. Even bouncing it between 2-2.5k rpm for 20 minutes right after starting didn't phase it. Turned her off, fired up, clunk again but quieter, and back to a great engine.

She needed fuel anyway, I've been running her off the bottom-of-a-tank of nearly 7 year old fuel. So I head down to the gas station (~7 mile round trip) and rip on it the entire time. Gotta make sure everything seats properly, including seals. Best way is to burn them in. Has great power, great throttle response, absolutely beastly for what she is. Get back home and decide while I'm at it, I better make sure she's fully with it. Being what it is, I live 100 ft from open desert and it's all BLM so nobody is building past me. So I just ran her out a little ways into the hills and made sure the transmission and transfer case were also with it. Close enough that if she throws a rod, I can just walk home. But she did great--had that single loud clunk on startup, but it got quieter with every start, and the last few times, it went away completely. I'm going to fire it up again tomorrow and check if it does it. The clunk didn't sound like a usual engine damage noise though, makes me think the new header may have just been percussively adapting itself the first few times the engine started.

It may just be me being hopeful, but I think I have a keeper. Hopefully I can remember to post a video of it running tomorrow.

We've had serious wind-storms the last few days so I haven't been able to grab any video. Finally said forget it and just took some video in the garage.

4.0s are everywhere and they are damn tuff. I wouldn't be afraid of salvage yard engine.
But then again im from michigan so most XJ's including mine are rotted beyond the value of rebuilding a engine i already had to bend up my own 2 inch pipe frame rails as the unibody rails had fist sized holes in them

Nothing will ever rot out here, which is great, but it makes scavenged parts like motors much more uncommon. Nobody is going to pull the motor from one vehicle to another, when both are otherwise fine. Almost nothing of value makes it to junkyards and anything that does, gets fixed and sold by the yard itself as a running vehicle. To put things into perspective, no junkyard in the entire state will have something like a Wrangler. Every single Wrangler in this state will either be rebuilt into a running vehicle, or it's so far gone (wrecked beyond repair) that they strip every single part and sell them as rebuilt/used parts online. Have the same problems with my non-Jeeps. Junkyard scavenging doesn't exist for most of them, because nobody in their right mind would ever send an old VW or Toyota to a yard.

Start by calling some wrecking yards out east, they will ship.
Jeeps are everywhere around here, there are tons of the in junkyards.

I can buy an XJ off my co-worker for around $1000, and it has 83,000 miles on it, just today he told me to came and get it.

My input is a complete rebuild! That way you will know EXACTLY what you have, and it will last forever.

Start by calling some wrecking yards out east, they will ship.
Majority won't. I've already called about large parts in the past (fenders, seats, etc.) and 90% of the yards say they don't ship oversized parts. The ones that would ship charged so much for it, it's cheaper just to pay the higher prices for a shop to track them down for me.

Jeeps are everywhere around here, there are tons of the in junkyards.

I can buy an XJ off my co-worker for around $1000, and it has 83,000 miles on it, just today he told me to came and get it.

Yeah, that's definitely not happening on our side. A solid XJ that doesn't need work is a $10k vehicle any day of the week. More if it had a nice option package. You can get ones with minor mechanical or cosmetic issues for ~$5k. At that price level, you should expect to replace a clutch, or rebuild the suspension, maybe replace a fender or door panels. Sub $4k and you start getting into "issues". Jeeps where the doors have ripped hinges and need welding, or major crash damage.

For instance, on craigslist right now there's 15 XJs up for sale and I can guarantee every single one has nothing as far as rust is concerned. Every bolt will come off every part on every Jeep. Personally, I'd rather have no rust but deal with the higher prices. There are gems out there: a unicorn '96 2DR Manual 4WD for only $6500. Has a blown motor (listing says cylinder #1 is shot) though.

My input is a complete rebuild! That way you will know EXACTLY what you have, and it will last forever.

We'll see how this motor holds up long-term, but she's running wonderfully right now. Turned out to be a much stronger motor than I anticipated I'd get out of it.

So I think this'll be my last update unless something catastrophic happens, but I've been running this motor for awhile now, including a 1000 mile round-trip x-mas jaunt, fully loaded through the Sierra Nevada's. The Jeep and the motor are keepers. Doesn't burn oil, plenty of power, no smoking, runs and sounds smooth. Like new inside, too. I completely rebuilt the front suspension and steering, plus new tires and wheels makes for an enjoyable driver. Didn't replace any of the rear bushings (just shocks) but I think I'll go ahead and get that done soon, as I can feel the rear axle shift a bit on hard stops.

-
Back