Registering a Race car in California

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Question, Has anyone ever registered a car in Ca. that is a drag car, I have bill of sale and original CA pink slip car is out of system. No plates. They want it brought in and verified. Is there a chance I can do this or should I forget it. Thanks

Question, Has anyone ever registered a car in Ca. that is a drag car, I have bill of sale and original CA pink slip car is out of system. No plates. They want it brought in and verified. Is there a chance I can do this or should I forget it. Thanks

I have registered a couple cars that have been out of the system. It's been my experiance that the only thing they are verifying is the vin# and that it is attached factory correct. They may also be looking for a second vin# on the vehicle in another place.

If your car is 1975 or earlier and the vin#'s are there it should be a piece of cake to get it registered and some new plates.

I have registered a couple cars that have been out of the system. It's been my experiance that the only thing they are verifying is the vin# and that it is attached factory correct. They may also be looking for a second vin# on the vehicle in another place.

If your car is 1975 or earlier and the vin#'s are there it should be a piece of cake to get it registered and some new plates.

That is what exactly happened to me as well. They just checked the VIN on the dash and door plate. That's it.

What about CA smog inspections?

Depends on the year. If it's pre-1975, then you don't have anything to worry about. Regardless, the DMV doesn't check smog. Only a licensed testing station can do that, but you won't be able to get plates and register it if you can't pass smog if required.

There's also another caveat to the 1975 no smog rule. The rule states that pre-75 doesn't require smog. However, this isn't a license to go ahead and strip all the smog equipment out of the car either. I believe the laws governing the tampering of smog equipment still apply.

Ok, 71 Duster race car, Roll bar, slicks, it still looks like a stock car except for slicks. Im going to have to trailer it. I was given a chp paper that list all sorts of locations and numbers. Just wondering if I have a chance. Either way I need to get it into my name.

I don't see why they would not transfere the title over to you. I would look in to a "nonop" if it is race only.

One thing I would try is going to an off site DMV place. Thay are more willing to work with you.

There was someone else that started then gave up on registering. I have now started in my name but because of other they want to see car. The computor flagged because of previous attempt. I just wonder if they care when i trailer it in. I told them it was not running. And I want to transfer in my name so I can get running. I am going to try. I think I will take the slicks off.

DMV is only checking the vin. number belongs to the car and hasn't been tampered with. As far as smog checks none is required in 75 and earlier cars. I wouldn't even worry about the tires. I've had at least 3 cars checked and one didn't even have a motor in it.

Like has been noted above if your vehicle came with smog equipment you could be cited for not having it or any other equipment required by the California Vehicle Code in the course of driving it on public highways. But DMV just wants your money and to make sure the vin. number belongs to the car.

My cars aren't smog legal but I don't seem to have any problems. The only people I see get in trouble are the kids cruising the mall on Friday and Saturday nights with there hopped up Honda's. Must law enforcment officers would not know what smog equipment belongs on a 1975 and earlier car.

You will probably have to take the car off trailer at DMV to get inspected.

Walk in and tell them you want "Title ONLY!" No plates, no registration nothing, just proof of ownership.

They will likely ding you for any transfer fees that weren't paid on title skipping... meaning if you weren't the buyer from the titled person, you'll pay the fee if there was another person in the chain of ownership. IIRC, it's ~$15 per transfer. So if there is one other person between you and the titled name, you'll get hit for $30.

Hopefully there aren't any back fees due. They can be a pain to get rid of depending on who you get at the service desk. I'm guessing if it's out of the system, no back fees will be on the books.

They will do a VIN verification and you're good to go. They usually will do a verification with the car on a trailer. They do for me. If you have AAA, they are most of the time MUCH easier to deal with than the DMV for this stuff.

Good info, I took the paper work to AAA they said no. I will trailer it in since they have to verify the vin either way. Thanks I was going to give up on this but I will go back.

They won't care about the tires. Just make sure the numbers can be seen. We did this with my son's 67 Barracuda. They had a problem with the VIN only being in one place, but we explained 68-earlier Mopars to them and they finally accepted it. There might be some back fees from the previous attempt.

OK, I see this happening Dmv people dont no what a 71 Duster is and I have trouble with vin number locations. I am not familar with other locations of vin number. Does anyone know of other locations for the vin number. Thanks

DMV sure can be a pain in the arse....and toss in the smog laws and you just want to strangle someone.

Have any of you folks ever had to tell the DMV people where to look to find the vin tags?

Yep. Just about every time. You don't need to know your job when they make it LAW you have to give them money.

I have no fender tag, no door sticker. I sanded the radiator support, numbers are faint but seem to match up with vin number. I am now trying to find another number location, possible in trunk area. I cant find weather seal lip number. I have to pull seal and sand it.

Package tray shelf, drivers side, between speaker hole and window channel.

Only has the last 8 digits. They may require you to take it to CHP.

Usually the Federal door sticker is enough for them to move on. Without that you'll be at the CHP most likely.

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid that. I think I will drive over to local office and see what they say.

Crackedback, is the rear speaker hole vin location veiwed from the trunk or the interior. I dont see anything from trunk. Thanks

Thanks Crackedback, had to pull the firewall off my speaker shelf. Numbers right there. Now Back to DMV. YUK!

-
Back