Reground Cam

-

408 swinger

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a cam reground for a Magnum lately? Was wondering cost. From reading through different threads Oregon Cams comes up quite a bit. Going to try to call tomorrow. Was just curious if anyone has done it lately. Will be going in a 5.9 with a "fresh" bottom end with the New Zealand 318A heads, kegger manifold mods, and long tube headers. Going in a 1500 4x4 truck. Thanks everyone!!

I had one reground by Oregon Cam Grinding about three years ago. I would need to dig out my receipt to check cost. I "think" it was around $260. Damn shipping to him was a bunch. Can't remember how much but it was a lot. I packed the hell out of it, lol.

@RustyRatRod suggested the #1280 grind and Ken confirmed it was a great choice for my build. Cam sheet is below.

I tore a 2001 5.9 down to the short block and a a machine shop finish the tear down, hot tank it, then install new main, rod, and cam bearings. I built it from there using the reground Cam (,215/.223 @ .050, .517 @1.6), original lifters, Comp Cams 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, Air Gap intake, and played with several carbs until settling on an AVS2 850, Doug's headers, and a PTC 9.5" converter. Runs strong!!

IMG_20191106_164259.jpg

I'm local to OCG. They are the real deal. I've had them regrind two cams for my slants, no issues and I'm completely satisfied with the results. I think the regrind was about $80 or so.

I had one reground by Oregon Cam Grinding about three years ago. I would need to dig out my receipt to check cost. I "think" it was around $260. Damn shipping to him was a bunch. Can't remember how much but it was a lot. I packed the hell out of it, lol.

@RustyRatRod suggested the #1280 grind and Ken confirmed it was a great choice for my build. Cam sheet is below.

I tore a 2001 5.9 down to the short block and a a machine shop finish the tear down, hot tank it, then install new main, rod, and cam bearings. I built it from there using the reground Cam (,215/.223 @ .050, .517 @1.6), original lifters, Comp Cams 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, Air Gap intake, and played with several carbs until settling on an AVS2 850, Doug's headers, and a PTC 9.5" converter. Runs strong!!

View attachment 1716046108
Thanks for posting up your cam info! On a 110 LSA, does it still provide decent vacuum? Usually when that number goes down, so does the vacuum. This is going in a truck with power brakes yet. I like those specs though! I bet it does run well!

I'm running right at 15⁰ of vacuum. No power brakes on the 66 Barracuda.

Yeah, it's a fun engine in the little Barracuda.

Last November I sent a Magnum cam to Oregon grinding. I used UPS simple rate, made my own cam-sized box $14 shipped it. Completed cam with shipping back to Ohio was $231.63. They are very quick to respond to email and helpful on the phone.

I'm slant 6 not magnum, but I've used several of Oregon's grinds. Running one right now. Busted off and broke in perfect and has been running great ever since. Remember to measure for correct pushrod length, since regrinds move the entire lobe relative to the center line of the camshaft core, so longer pushrods may be needed.

Thanks for the input fellas! I got through today. Ken, I think that's who she said, would call me back. Didn't hear anything. But, that's ok. I'm not in a hurry and they're probably super busy. Would definitely be measuring pushrods with increased lift. My biggest thing was cost. I'm a tight ***. Lol!!

Last November I sent a Magnum cam to Oregon grinding. I used UPS simple rate, made my own cam-sized box $14 shipped it. Completed cam with shipping back to Ohio was $231.63. They are very quick to respond to email and helpful on the phone.
Curious..... Which cam did you send in? 5.9 or 5.2? Or maybe they don't care either way?

there is a slight lift and duration difference between the 2 cams in stock form. 5.9 is like .410 lift and 5.2 is like .435 lift. not sure it would make a difference which 1 you sent. i switched my can in my stock 5.9 to the 5.2 cam.

Can't remember what I paid but you need to call him. He was kinda specific on cores.

I’ve had two magnum regrinds done by Ken at Oregon. Around $200 and change all in as I recall but it’s been about 3 years. Excellent service. You can’t go wrong with Oregon.

I’ve had two magnum regrinds done by Ken at Oregon. Around $200 and change all in as I recall but it’s been about 3 years. Excellent service. You can’t go wrong with Oregon.

Were those for your turbo motor? If so, would you mind sharing which grind you went with?

Curious..... Which cam did you send in? 5.9 or 5.2? Or maybe they don't care either way?
It was a 5.2 cam, returned with their #1280 grind. I can't wait to get the block, heads, and rotating assembly back from my machine shop so I can get started with putting it together.

Were those for your turbo motor? If so, would you mind sharing which grind you went with?
#1357B
This was a custom grind Ken did based on my previous NA cam #1357. Same specs, just more lobe separation. I was really happy with that NA cam so he said, “let’s grind your turbo cam based on that grind”. Great guy to work with. And I paid $182.00 shipped for this cam. Plus whatever it cost me to ship him the core. So $200ish dollars.

B112F7E3-6DCE-45AC-88B9-33644C81B133.jpeg

Here’s some other profiles Ken recommended for my turbo 5.9.
####################
#1634r

224/218 @ .050”, 176/270 adv, .536”/.528” lift, 115 sep

#1990r

236/230 @ .050”, 282/276 adv, .510”/.510” lift, 115 lobe sep

#2058r

236/230 @ .050”, 282/276 adc, .544”/.536” lift, 115 sep

The 1990 would probably be the best with the higher stall converter.

Talked with Ken today. $189.00 plus shipping to get a Magnum cam reground. Sounds like a plan to me. So I'll dig around, I think I have a loose core yet out of a 360. Said the big difference (as far as regrinding goes) was not between the 5.2 or 5.9. But, between the Mag truck engines and the car roller cams. So, I'll be sending one off shortly. Thanks to everyone for the input!!

Did Ken expound on that? I'm curious what the difference is.

I don't think you can go wrong with using Oregon Cam Grinding.
The lobe separation is wider on the cars. He said like 115. Tighter on the truck engines. 110 ish in his words. More to work with on the regrind on the truck cams. It does sound good. I intend to follow up.

Thanks for the input fellas! I got through today. Ken, I think that's who she said, would call me back. Didn't hear anything. But, that's ok. I'm not in a hurry and they're probably super busy. Would definitely be measuring pushrods with increased lift. My biggest thing was cost. I'm a tight ***. Lol!!
You will not be disappointed, he should become a member here as there are so many of us that are rocking his cams. Proof is in the pudding. You just can’t have so many of us unrelated, scattered all across the Country saying the same thing. He is the real deal.

@66fyssh What is the idle like on your cam? As stated before, cam will be in a 4x4 truck. BUT, it will never pull a trailer or do REAL truck things. If it has a little rumpty-rump that would be perfect. Sent a core off yesterday.

-
Back