Rejetting a Carter 2-barrel

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
@318willrun. Deleted your email by mistake. Your in box is full. Did you say that there was something that I could do to richen my Carter 2-barrel?
PM me.
Greg. Quad Cities

Last edited:
Put @ in front of the users name and they will get notifications.

Hope that was what you meant! Always learning.

Depending on year.

You can replace the jets ( if you can find them )

Replace the rods ( if you can find them)

Drill out the jets

On the older jets, the jet numbers are not drill sizes and not necessarily linear.

IE 120-310S is richer than 120-294S which is richer than 120-297S

Go figure!

Screenshot_20220929-204730.png

Screenshot_20220929-204038.png

I have tried to keep under the hood stock in appearance. I almost want to find a 360 2-barrel truck intake that would have a Holley on it. Like my '78 Van had. The intake ports would be a little large, I think, but easy to rejet. This is just a stock rebuilt driver. Someone is giving me a truck 318, mid to late '70's, it has a Carter on it, maybe it would have larger jets. Winter is close, I will find a solution.
Thank you all, I have your suggestions.

I will pull the top off of my Carter and see if I can raise the metering rods. That is probably what 318willitrun told me to do, then some how deleted his email. Will have a look at it late this afternoon and see if we have any luck. Will let you know!
Thank you.

see if I can raise the metering rods.
I don't think that will richen the mixture.

Looks like if it is a 70 something bbd raising the metering rods DOES adjust the AF ratio... who knew!

Why do you think you need to richen the mixture???

Last edited:
Under acceleration, the engine has a wave of up and down. If you step into it harder, it will come out of it. It's very noticeable. It just feels like a lean condition. Off the line from a traffic light, it will stumble, but a pump of the accelerator will bring it right out out of it then the wave starts.
I might add, the engine has been bored .030 over, roughly 6 cu in. Stock replacement pistons and cam. The car does have dual exhaust, stock exhaust manifolds.

Last edited:
IMHO

Manage by fact.

Get an AF meter on it.

Have you rebuilt the carb?

What is the distributer curve

Where is your initial timing

Where is your vacuum advance hooked to (ported or manifold)

Also does it always happen, or only when it's hot out?

Pulled the top off the carb tonight, I must have a different carb than the one with the allen screw. This car is a stock '72 318. The plugs are bone white, heat range looks good at 2 to 3 threads burned, timing on the ground strap looks good. It's supposed to be TDC, don't remember what I timed it at, 5 adv or so, it doesn't ping. Yes I overhauled the carb, though it didn't really need it. Using 10% alcohol gas, tried straight premium, a little better, but not much. Getting worse with cooler fall weather. Dist is stock one that came with the car. Vacuum hoses are all in there factory positions.

20220930_192852.jpg

20220930_192847.jpg

20220930_192601.jpg

20220930_192153.jpg

That is the same type BBD I have stock on my 67 dart 273.

There are a lot of hoses running around there can you post a farther away shot.

Also post a photo of the top of the carb.

Do you have power brakes?

Do you have AC?

I assume the port in red and green were capped or attached to something.

Tell me about...

the yellow hose.

The mauve hose

The white hoses

Screenshot_20220930-190159.png

Your yellow hose is pcv valve and t'd off to the smog cannister. The white is carb bowl vent to smog cannister. Green, choke pull off. Red to air cleaner snout door.
Manual brakes
A/C
I am going to try putting an .018 thick washer under the shouldered screw that holds the metering rods in. That should raise the metering rods.
This condition that I called a wave, is a mild surging .

20220930_205010.jpg

20220930_204958.jpg

20220930_204805.jpg

20220930_204814.jpg

20220930_204824.jpg

20220930_204844.jpg

I went with the adj. PCV valve. I developed an oil leak, rear main. Just like my '69 stroker motor. After installing, no more rear main oil leaks, or other seeping either.
This did not affect the carb issue, the problem was there before the adj. PCV valve.

The step up spring for lifting rods cane be tuned, the springs for afb should fit just fine. Stretch or cut to lenght, keep your orignal

A friend from CA. that was a Mopar mechanic said to stretch the spring just a little. Forgot to do that last night, will see if raising the rods .018 does something. Going into town soon, will see.
I also have the part numbers for the grommets for steel or aluminum cast valve covers for the adjustable pcv valve.
They are 3/4", not 1/2". Summit carries them.

-
Back