Relay and Neutral safety switch Question.

-

Super-Cuda

MOPAR .. Move Over, Plymouth Approaching Rapidly!
Reaction score
Got a question for the Electrical Experts on here.

I have converted my 1968 340 Barracuda from automatic to manual trans, bought a new wiring harness for automatic, have the proper starter relay for an automatic. My intention is to use a hidden switch wired to the Neutral safety switch wiring ,replacing the neutral safety switch itself for an extra measure of anti-theft security. I still want to use the dash mounted reverse light and rear back-up lamps.

Do you see any problems with this idea? Let me know what you think. Id appreciate any thoughts /ideas/inputs.

Got a question for the Electrical Experts on here.

I have converted my 1968 340 Barracuda from automatic to manual trans, bought a new wiring harness for automatic, have the proper starter relay for an automatic. My intention is to use a hidden switch wired to the Neutral safety switch wiring ,replacing the neutral safety switch itself for an extra measure of anti-theft security. I still want to use the dash mounted reverse light and rear back-up lamps.

Do you see any problems with this idea? Let me know what you think. Id appreciate any thoughts /ideas/inputs.
I used to use a hidden momentary push button switch on my neutral starter switch wire , for just that purpose.

Older cars that don't have steering wheel locks, shifter locks, not even a inside hood release, should be locked inside or blocked by those more challenging vehicles.
There is sooo much information available today that anybody who can raise your hood can attach alligator clip jumper(s) here and there, then drive away. Some of us could hot wire OEM while blindfolded, in about 30 seconds. To relocate the starter relay, coil, etc.., would slow us down. Simply interrupting that brown wire with a hidden switch does not.
OK, I just typed the condensed version of "How To Steal My 67" again. Good luck to all

Older cars that don't have steering wheel locks, shifter locks, not even a inside hood release, should be locked inside or blocked by those more challenging vehicles.
There is sooo much information available today that anybody who can raise your hood can attach alligator clip jumper(s) here and there, then drive away. Some of us could hot wire OEM while blindfolded, in about 30 seconds. To relocate the starter relay, coil, etc.., would slow us down. Simply interrupting that brown wire with a hidden switch does not.
OK, I just typed the condensed version of "How To Steal My 67" again. Good luck to all
mine would not start w/ it done that way, unless the button was pushed, not grounded, worked like a charm!

Anyone who knows anything at all about "boosting" cars knows how to jumper the starter / starter relay. I believe this is false hope

"Better ways?"

You use an electric fuel pump? Then a switch in the pump relay

You have a tach, or even if you don't, put in a switch that GROUNDS the coil NEG line

If you do NOT have an electric pump find and install a fuel shutoff. The thief starts the car "it runs great" just long enough to get out of the parking space, and then.............

The starter coil has an upstream wire (yellow) from the key and a downstream wire (usually violet) to the NSS. Breaking either with a push-button switch will disable the relay. The upstream wire is already inside the cabin, so easier wiring.

As mentioned, any released prisoner would know the "jumper starter w/ screwdriver" trick. Thus, perhaps better to disable the ignition system. That can be done more subtly with electronic ignition. If you have points, most thieves would know how to jumper the battery to coil+ (though not all thieves carry alligator leads), so better to break the path from coil- to points. Whatever approach, wire a toggle switch in parallel w/ the push-button so you can over-ride for valets and such.

It's all wishful thinking.

A professional that is stealing your classic isn't going to start it. He's going to show up with a set of wheel dollies and a tow truck. Starting it is too loud, driving it brings too much attention, and there's too many variables- electric fuel pumps, cut off switches, owner altered wiring etc.

A hidden switch on the ignition side is as complex as you need to be. That'll stop your average joy rider or mouth breather. Beyond that and you're not going to stop them anyway, because they're not going to start the car. They're gonna dolly it, tow/trailer it, or in a lot of cases steal your trailer with the car inside. Your average criminal steals Honda's and Toyota's that blend in and disappear into chop shops for easy money. Not muscle cars and hot rods that draw attention and are easy to track because of their uniqueness.

All good points, mine is an auto, will be wiring in a few relays, try to start it wrong and horn will honk and starter wont crank.just a deterrent.key operated battery switch. Or a continous duty solenoid to cut the power. Many choices. Blasting caps in the seat cushion would be effective but messy.
Wire aux ign coil under seat, and a plug wire in the gap,also a deterrent.
Thought about a cattle fencer too, remote controlled and tied to dome light.

It's all wishful thinking.

A professional that is stealing your classic isn't going to start it. He's going to show up with a set of wheel dollies and a tow truck. Starting it is too loud, driving it brings too much attention, and there's too many variables- electric fuel pumps, cut off switches, owner altered wiring etc.

A hidden switch on the ignition side is as complex as you need to be. That'll stop your average joy rider or mouth breather. Beyond that and you're not going to stop them anyway, because they're not going to start the car. They're gonna dolly it, tow/trailer it, or in a lot of cases steal your trailer with the car inside. Your average criminal steals Honda's and Toyota's that blend in and disappear into chop shops for easy money. Not muscle cars and hot rods that draw attention and are easy to track because of their uniqueness.
u should have told Bill Jenkins that, "before he died" his whole rig was stolen in st louis one year.

All you have to do is run a short wire from the terminal on the inner fender mounted starter relay that would normally run to the NSS to a ground instead (one of the screws holding the relay on). Keep in mind that the neutral safety switch in the tranny simply completes a ground allowing current to flow through the relay down to the starter. By grounding out the relay as mentioned above, you are tricking the auto tranny relay into thinking the tranny is in neutral. I know this works. I did it when I converted to a 4 speed. On the reverse lights, you can use the current harness, but you might need a different plug end. I don't remember if the reverse light switch plug is different or not. I am pretty sure I have an extra 4 speed reverse light harness. When I converted years ago, Year One accidently sent me two. PM me if you want it.

All you have to do is run a short wire.....................

Uh, at the risk of becoming Captain Obvious, I believe you completely missed the OP's question...........LOL

yrwss.jpg

... A professional that is stealing your classic isn't going to start it. He's going to show up with a set of wheel dollies and a tow truck. ...
Have to agree. My 1969 Dart disappeared from in front of my house in Atlanta in 1994. People suggested the housing projects a few miles away, but I suspected rednecks and indeed the license plate was found 7 yrs later on a stolen Jetta in rural Cobb County (no sign of the car). I vaguely remember seeing flashing lights outside late at night while in bed. What cop would stop to question a tow-truck driver hooking up a car? They would just claim, "we got a call ...". Those guys are so crooked, they once towed our 1996 Voyager 3 miles to their yard after an accident 3 blocks from our house. My wife asked them to leave the van at our house, but the driver refused. The cops had called them. They wouldn't give it back until I paid big bucks for "storage". A detective agreed with me that their act was "auto theft", but he refused to arrest them. Had I been there, it would have ended differently.

All you have to do is run a short wire from the terminal on the inner fender mounted starter relay that would normally run to the NSS to a ground instead (one of the screws holding the relay on).
If we're completing my condensed version... that alligator clip goes on the neg' battery terminal. I wont type "how to" jumper feeding the fuse box so the thief has turn signals, wipers, everything. If this thread runs long enough someone might. Like I said before, too much info available today.

-
Back