Remembering our Veterans

-
My hero. 27 B-17 missions.
Thank you pop and each and every veteran for your service.

908189A4-95E0-4AF1-9AE7-91DD083E1AD7.jpeg

I didn't get it while I served nor when I retired. Thank you!

Hi 69, Yes, Indeed.....YOU should have gotten that respect, but what can I say. Veterans sacrificed, and SOME, not all, of the people at home complained, protested, and burned our Flag.....Shameful. One of the greatest honors which I have ever seen, in my life, is the Honor Guard when a Veteran is laid to rest. You can bet that these "Folks" who complained, protested, and burned our Flag, have a respect for that GREAT honor bestowed upon a Veteran who has passed on, and wish they could have that same RESPECT. That Great Honor Iis reserved for people just like YOU. Thank you for your service and your time given to our country and to our Freedom. sgrip65

I was in Berkley Ca at a retirement lunch for a friend. Since it was in the middle of the day and we were outside on the patio we were in uniform. Well I got yelled at a lot spit on a few times but when we went to pay the bill some one picked it up for us. Bet you he was a Nam Vet!

I was in Berkley Ca at a retirement lunch for a friend. Since it was in the middle of the day and we were outside on the patio we were in uniform. Well I got yelled at a lot spit on a few times but when we went to pay the bill some one picked it up for us. Bet you he was a Nam Vet!
Sorry you had to go through that. No veteran should ever have to go through that! What’s wrong with people??

Sorry you had to go through that. No veteran should ever have to go through that! What’s wrong with people??
All people are *** holes you and me are include at times. That was the only time in my life I wanted to hit some one even the last picked in gym class girl!

Last edited:
517FB71F-85BF-4AC6-BB3C-37FBB74472EB.jpeg
5D1B4C2A-1544-45E6-BA97-DD0B40290FB2.jpeg

That’s me on the left around 1994. Just before I was promoted to LTC. I looked like a hippy with that long hair! Prime BEEF baby!

Thanks to all War time veterans!!!

i make it a point to pick up the bill for anyone in uniform, or otherwise recognizable as a veteran, preferably without them knowing it was me who did it
for a while there, there was an older couple, i guess the gentleman was a vietnam era vet, that had the same lunch pattern as me and the wife...i think we "got" them about 4 times in one month, i got a real giggle out of that one

was this recently?
i thought we had a better respect for our veterans now a days

just the other day my 8 year old was sitting in the back of the car with his cousin and a friend, and for whatever reason they were talking about what a gauntlet is
my boy retold the story as he heard Sergeant Davis tell it (the following is a qoute i found online, not the way my boy told it, obviously)
"You Don't Lose Until You Quit Trying" - The American TFP

"It occurred on the day Sammy Davis was about to board his final flight in San Francisco, the last leg of a very long trip home to Indiana. One can only imagine his joy at being reunited with his family after the horrors of war and the pride for having served his country admirably. His father would no doubt be proud of him, but others would not.

Milling around in the San Francisco airport were a group of twenty hippies. In order to circumvent the laws forbidding clubs, all of them pretended to be disabled, and carried canes instead. They also had brown paper bags full of what Corporal Davis described as the “nastiest things you can think of” such as “dog droppings.”
Although Sammy and two other servicemen were dressed in civilian clothes, as instructed for those on commercial flights, their military bearing made them clear targets for revolutionary aggression.

One soldier reminded Sammy of the specific orders given by their sergeant, back at Travis Air Force base. They were explicitly forbidden to retaliate, should someone start an altercation, since the media would inevitably spin it against the returning soldiers.

“Hey, if you want to get to your aircraft,” one of the hippies said, “you have to run the gauntlet.”

Seeing the scene before him, Sammy Davis said he and his fellow soldiers decided they would not run the gauntlet, they would walk it: and do so with pride and dignity.

The first hippies began rubbing the contents of their bags in the soldiers hair, on their face and stuffing it into their ears. When they failed to get the desired response they began beating them with the canes which opened up head wounds, causing Sammy and the others to bleed profusely.

This was the despicable treatment for a man who proved himself on the field of battle to be one of America’s great warriors. Yet through it all, Sammy Davis accepted these injustices with dignity and kept his composure till the end."

what this story didnt mention is the treatment these men got once they made it onto the plane
the flight attendants did all they could to clean them up, and they gave them what Sgt. Davis said "could only be the pilots own shirts"

Thanks again all you U.S. servicemen/women of all branches! Proud of my Veteran family members as well, spanning WW2 to Iraqi Freedom to the present.
God Bless!

i make it a point to pick up the bill for anyone in uniform, or otherwise recognizable as a veteran, preferably without them knowing it was me who did it
for a while there, there was an older couple, i guess the gentleman was a vietnam era vet, that had the same lunch pattern as me and the wife...i think we "got" them about 4 times in one month, i got a real giggle out of that one

was this recently?
i thought we had a better respect for our veterans now a days

just the other day my 8 year old was sitting in the back of the car with his cousin and a friend, and for whatever reason they were talking about what a gauntlet is
my boy retold the story as he heard Sergeant Davis tell it (the following is a qoute i found online, not the way my boy told it, obviously)
"You Don't Lose Until You Quit Trying" - The American TFP

"It occurred on the day Sammy Davis was about to board his final flight in San Francisco, the last leg of a very long trip home to Indiana. One can only imagine his joy at being reunited with his family after the horrors of war and the pride for having served his country admirably. His father would no doubt be proud of him, but others would not.

Milling around in the San Francisco airport were a group of twenty hippies. In order to circumvent the laws forbidding clubs, all of them pretended to be disabled, and carried canes instead. They also had brown paper bags full of what Corporal Davis described as the “nastiest things you can think of” such as “dog droppings.”
Although Sammy and two other servicemen were dressed in civilian clothes, as instructed for those on commercial flights, their military bearing made them clear targets for revolutionary aggression.

One soldier reminded Sammy of the specific orders given by their sergeant, back at Travis Air Force base. They were explicitly forbidden to retaliate, should someone start an altercation, since the media would inevitably spin it against the returning soldiers.

“Hey, if you want to get to your aircraft,” one of the hippies said, “you have to run the gauntlet.”

Seeing the scene before him, Sammy Davis said he and his fellow soldiers decided they would not run the gauntlet, they would walk it: and do so with pride and dignity.

The first hippies began rubbing the contents of their bags in the soldiers hair, on their face and stuffing it into their ears. When they failed to get the desired response they began beating them with the canes which opened up head wounds, causing Sammy and the others to bleed profusely.

This was the despicable treatment for a man who proved himself on the field of battle to be one of America’s great warriors. Yet through it all, Sammy Davis accepted these injustices with dignity and kept his composure till the end."

what this story didnt mention is the treatment these men got once they made it onto the plane
the flight attendants did all they could to clean them up, and they gave them what Sgt. Davis said "could only be the pilots own shirts"

This happened.....and after seeing and experiencing what they had just gone through. I wonder how those hippies feel about themselves now? And that's all I have to say about that now (Forrest). Terrible disrespect. I like that idea....picking up the tab for a soldier in uniform!!! I am going to adopt that idea. sgrip65

This happened.....and after seeing and experiencing what they had just gone through. I wonder how those hippies feel about themselves now? And that's all I have to say about that now (Forrest). Terrible disrespect. I like that idea....picking up the tab for a soldier in uniform!!! I am going to adopt that idea. sgrip65

funny you should bring Forrest into this, did you know Sgt. Davis (the one from the quote) is known as "the real Forrest Gump"?
in the movie Forrest Gump receives a medal of honour, for that scene, they used actual footage of Sgt. Davis being awarded the medal, and superimposed forrest's head on it

funny you should bring Forrest into this, did you know Sgt. Davis (the one from the quote) is known as "the real Forrest Gump"?
in the movie Forrest Gump receives a medal of honour, for that scene, they used actual footage of Sgt. Davis being awarded the medal, and superimposed forrest's head on it

No, I did not know this. That Honor and Recognition is what it should always have been, and, still, should be, for our people who are BRAVE enough to serve. The "Medal of Honor" ...... How Truly Great is That..... and, always, accepted with a humble heart thanking those who were around them. These "Heroes" know, so what more be said. sgrip65

Was trying to decide what I wanted to eat today so went in Jalepenos and ordered a combo with sweet tea. The Mexican guy who served me asked if I was a Veteran and I said I was. I finished eating and still hadn't got my ticket so I went up to cashier and told her what I had and that he didn't bring my ticket. She told me that he told her I was a Veteran and that I wouldn't have a ticket. I can bet he came here legally too! Thanks to all the others that have served our country as well and hopefully someone recognized you too with gratitude. I served 14 months in VietNam 1st Infantry and Americal, Joe

-
Back