Removable floor hump.

-

MoparDave

Reaction score
Anyone make the floor hump removable?
Maybe screw or rivet in place?
Kinda nice getting to everything from above.

My Hemi Dart came with a removable hump using Dzus fasteners. He would change from 4-speed to auto all the time, so he had to be able to get everything in and out quickly. Kinda crude and was pretty large from the firewall seam to the almost the rear floor seam and to the reinforcements for the bucket seats...

NHRA and IHRA require a lot more bars if firewall/hump area is cut....

You’re allow 1 square foot before you need a dash bar.

FBF9FCB9-732E-467D-91BF-168C498D240B.jpeg

My car has a 4-speed hump in it - the car itself is A/T - and the hump has sheetmetal screws to hold it in and strip caulk (dum-dum) to seal it.

I don’t think it buys you much, would have to pull up the carpet, if a street car, to get it out.

Mine as held down with sheet metal screws and I put the self-adhesive window weather stripping around the bottom edge of the hump. I remove my two bucket seats which is real easy and my threshold in the carpet comes out. Then I can get the two top transmission bolts sitting in the driver seat... All goods takes about 10 or 15 minutes both ways... And yes I've switched back and forth to a 904... Just need a different slip yoke...

72-80 trucks have removeable, plastic shifter humps.

I guess I assumed the OP was talking about a manual transmission, since auto floor shift doesn't use a "hump", and most everything is already accessible from above.

The California Flash has one held in with Dzus fasteners.....pics in thread below, starts @ post 163.

Turning back the clock

I'm doing one in my latest street build, but this one will be a bolt-in.

Last edited:
72-80 trucks have removeable, plastic shifter humps.
Not all. The fiberglass ones were used with the 833 I'd trans, the 72 to about 77/78ish with the granny low 4 speed had a metal bolt in trans tunnel.

So you're red x ing me for a partial technicality?

Come on, man....

So you're red x ing me for a partial technicality?

Come on, man....

Isn't this just how Mopar community tends to be? Forabodiesonly.com is a relative joy compared to the extreme (though admittedly well-informed) know-it-alls over at Allpar.

Did it with my car. Rivnuts and a bunch of screws. The lip I built around the hole is pretty stiff, and it will be getting a cage, so it shouldn’t affect chassis stiffness.
7F84D812-5AC2-49FE-A3ED-B95AEB5D877D.jpeg
C5C6430B-5B9B-45D7-80BB-238035047F61.jpeg

Interesting both of mine do.

1980 and 1987.

Both are NP 833 OD.

That's why I bought them.

-
Back