Remove doors without unbolting hinges?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
On the '73-76 Duster, Dart Sport, and Valiant - can you remove the doors by driving out the hinge pins and not have to unbolt the door from the hinge, or the hinge from the body? I'm going to a local guy with a car that I may want the doors from, and wondering if there's any way to get at the pins and separate the hinges without unbolting them first.

I did a cursory search on the forums here, but I don't think anybody the phrasing I used was accurate enough to get any useful information.

As always, thanks!

Technically yes. ASSUMING.... there is room for the pin to move all the way out, AND you have room to strike or press it out.

Why not unbolt it from the door?

I recently did it in a wrecking yard with a box wrench, took forever but since I could not open the door all the way I could not get a socket in there.

PXL_20221204_035809029.jpg

PXL_20221204_035759514.jpg

PXL_20221204_035706963.jpg

The title of your thread made me chuckle. No way without a cutting torch or a hack saw.

When 24 first came out my wife and I did not watch it. I bought something or rented a DVD and the first 4 episodes of the show were on a DVD that came in the box.

I was board and I popped it in and started watching. 10:00 on a work night.

4 hours later at 2 am I was hooked.

I had my wife watch the first episode and she was hooked. I rewatched the first 4 episodes and ordered on Netflix the next 4 and so on till we were up to date and season 2 started.

God knows I've tried!!! but I still had to get the Wife to do the wrenching while I held the door...
superbirdbentdoor 095.jpg

I think you could. Fibre cut off wheel. Grind the head off and drive it out. If you find some interference cut that off too. Corrosion and the sheer weight of the door could be your enemy.

I just pulled a door off of a BMW X5 and they have anchor bolts at the ends of the pins . Great idea ! You dont have to realign the door .

Great idea ! You dont have to realign the door
If the idea of knocking the pins out is to not have to align the door, you're in for a surprise.

No 2 cars, especially our older cars were built that accurately

Is it generally easier to unbolt the door from the hinge, or leave the hinge on the door and unbolt it from the body?

Door from the hinge vs getting up under the dash / behind the kick panel to get the inner 2 bolts (of 3) / hinge.

Only vehicle I've ever seen that being possible on was the "old body style" GM trucks, from 94ish to early 2000? I remember replacing a door on a Suburban by driving out the pins, I think it was a 1999.

God knows I've tried!!! but I still had to get the Wife to do the wrenching while I held the door
I got lucky in the wrecking yard, there was a gas cyl on the ground at just the right height. I got the bottom unbolted, with the top loosened to finger tight and it came out easy.

I got lucky in the wrecking yard, there was a gas cyl on the ground at just the right height. I got the bottom unbolted, with the top loosened to finger tight and it came out easy.
I'd already done enough damage trying to remove the door without unbolting it!! :lol:

Open the door and remove the two bolts closest to you on the lower hinge to door ,Then roll down the window and close the door.

Remove the splash shield behind the front wheel to access the front of the door while it is closed. From this location you can remove the upper bolts to door and also remove the last lower bolt through the access hole in the hinge.

Once these three bolts are out just open the door while holding it securely and the door is off. One person job doing it this way.'

Using shims on the sill to hold the door up it can also be installed this way.

Open the door and remove the two bolts closest to you on the lower hinge to door ,Then roll down the window and close the door.

Remove the splash shield behind the front wheel to access the front of the door while it is closed. From this location you can remove the upper bolts to door and also remove the last lower bolt through the access hole in the hinge.

Once these three bolts are out just open the door while holding it securely and the door is off. One person job doing it this way.'

Using shims on the sill to hold the door up it can also be installed this way.

Excellent, thank you!

Here are the remove and install instructions from the Factory Service Manual.

Attachments

• abody1hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • abody2hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
If your hinges are original, they will likely be worn, and need reconditioning anyway, so you'll need to re-align anyway.
Good luck .

Personally I would not scribe, as the FAM says to do ( I assume scratching the paint with a pointed object is what the are suggesting)

If you must, use a grease pencil, but unless you have fresh paint you can usually align it to the dirty / discolored paint.

Also I see no reason to remove the door hardware or trim.

I am a perponant of following the FSM, but sometimes there is no reason to remove somethings.

1. Open door
2. line up with a big tree
3. back up at full speed until door contacts tree
4. done. door removed without tools.

I do not see that happening. Even if you could, why would you want to??? You could remove the hinge bolts in less time. Plus, I rebuilt the hinges in my 69 Barracuda, and I don't see how that would be possible.

-
Back