Remove front cover w/o removing oil pan?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
440. 1974.

Can I remove the timing cover w/o removing the oil pan?

Do I have to drop the pan down or loosen it in any way?

Thanks!

It can be removed without dropping the pan, there bolts in the bottom of it that go through the pan that have to be removed

You can do it, but that's not how it's designed. It's pretty tough to get it leak free without removing the pan too.

You can do it, but that's not how it's designed. It's pretty tough to get it leak free without removing the pan too.

Rob is right, chances of damaging the pan gasket are high

..........I have done it many times w/o loosening the pan and have never had a leak, just be careful .....u can add a little silicone or the right stuff.................kim.......

..........I have done it many times w/o loosening the pan and have never had a leak, just be careful .....u can add a little silicone or the right stuff.................kim.......

did it many times on the hemi, back in the day------------bob

Ill give it a shot. Will clean with fine wire brush and brake cleaner - until it is super clean. Then reinstall. I have black permatex which is supposed to be oil resistant.

Got a 440 with 25 K original. Runs tits but am pulling front steering rack so will be removing front parts off engine. Might as well install a double roller.

Ill give it a shot. Will clean with fine wire brush and brake cleaner - until it is super clean. Then reinstall. I have black permatex which is supposed to be oil resistant.

Got a 440 with 25 K original. Runs tits but am pulling front steering rack so will be removing front parts off engine. Might as well install a double roller.

steering rack?

Don't forget to clean the junk out of the pan that may fall in. If it has a windage tray try making sure only the gasket above it breaks seal while removing the cover. Careful not to bend the tray.

Easier on a 440 than a 318. I had the nylon teeth on the cam gear give up on my first car about a month after I bought it. I guess I revved the motor a bit more than the old guy I bought the 72 challenger from. It was tough but I got it back together without it leaking. Boy did that new chain and gears wake up that engine. Cool car you got. I was fascinated by the Ferguson Formula in the late seventies.

Stick a rag across the opening on the oil pan when cleaning to prevent stuff from fallin in. A good gasket scraper may be better than a wire wheel cause you don't want fine wires to break off and fall in.

Done it a few times swapping cams in my 440. Forget where I got the gasket kit but it came with the front piece of the pan gasket already cut to replace where the timing cover sits. Took off the timing cover, cleaned everything, used some permatex, put the new gasket piece in, put it all back together and let it dry for about 24 hours before driving. Hasn't leaked in years.

Done it a few times swapping cams in my 440. Forget where I got the gasket kit but it came with the front piece of the pan gasket already cut to replace where the timing cover sits. Took off the timing cover, cleaned everything, used some permatex, put the new gasket piece in, put it all back together and let it dry for about 24 hours before driving. Hasn't leaked in years.

I agree. By the way, I love those Jensens.

-
Back