Remove the spark plug washers or not?

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hi all,
was about to buy new plugs for my 1963 Dart w 225 engine. I was assured that I must remove the washer seals from the plugs if my car is 1963 to 70-something. Well, I just read that with early heads (60-62?) you must NOT remove them. My Dart being a 1963, there is a chance that the head is actually a '62, right? How can I tell the difference?

You got spark plug tubes? I seem to remember on engines with tubes, the washers come off, but not sure. I had a 69 with tubes IIRC. Or maybe it was my 65. Um not sure. That was the early 70's, so nearly 50 years ago.
Was the 225 available in your year?I can't recall.

Yep, drool tubes, no washers, but also make sure the bottom of the tubes aren't all chewed up from previous owners leaving the washers on...

Well, I borrowed this from another forum:
If you look in the pre 63 heads the spark plug threaded hole has NO machined bevel on the opening, just a drilled and tapped hole. 63-74 have a machined bevel at the mouth of the hole, perfect for the taper of the tube and the washerless plug. If you look at the drool tube small end, youll probably notice the 45 taper the end was formed with on a 63-74 while the pre 63 head that takes a crush washer will be flat.
It make reference to this:
Slant Six Forum, :: View topic - My 1960 Dart w/ 225 slant 6- what is wrong with this car??
Other than finding the casting number, I am not certain how to tell the 60-62 heads from the 63-up heads.

Well, I borrowed this from another forum:
If you look in the pre 63 heads the spark plug threaded hole has NO machined bevel on the opening, just a drilled and tapped hole. 63-74 have a machined bevel at the mouth of the hole, perfect for the taper of the tube and the washerless plug. If you look at the drool tube small end, youll probably notice the 45 taper the end was formed with on a 63-74 while the pre 63 head that takes a crush washer will be flat.
It make reference to this:
Slant Six Forum, :: View topic - My 1960 Dart w/ 225 slant 6- what is wrong with this car??
Other than finding the casting number, I am not certain how to tell the 60-62 heads from the 63-up heads.

Thank you very much! This is the thread I was referring to :). I think I'll know the answer when the tubes are removed.

Your '63 didn't come down the line with a '62 head; these references to '62 and '63 are to model years, not calendar years. See this thread. And while you're at it, make sure you're putting in plugs worth having. The NGK № ZFR5N (stock № 3459) is a worthwhile and inexpensive upgrade from standard plugs, see here for details—but you'll need a smaller spark plug wrench (socket) to install these versus the larger socket to remove the standard plugs. Be sure to change your spark plug tube seals while you're in there.

Your '63 didn't come down the line with a '62 head; these references to '62 and '63 are to model years, not calendar years. See this thread. And while you're at it, make sure you're putting in plugs worth having. The NGK № ZFR5N (stock № 3459) is a worthwhile and inexpensive upgrade from standard plugs, see here for details—but you'll need a smaller spark plug wrench (socket) to install these versus the larger socket to remove the standard plugs. Be sure to change your spark plug tube seals while you're in there.

Thanks Dan!
I had two sets of NOS Lodge CLNY plugs so I installed those, and the new seals too. No leaks anymore! :) however I read about these NGK plugs and ordered a set of them too, maybe try them out later. My master mechanic hates NGK for some reason, so I think I'll have to install those without telling him :D

I used to hate stuff that came from Japan (such as NGK spark plugs) for no good reason, myself. Fortunately I outgrew that blinkered mindset.

Lodge "Fire Injector -- Run Your Car Without Spark Plugs" spark plugs, eh! Nifty. I might've kept 'em on the shelf as curiosities rather than installing 'em, but I imagine they're fairly plentiful on eBay.

I used to hate stuff that came from Japan (such as NGK spark plugs) for no good reason, myself. Fortunately I outgrew that blinkered mindset.

Lodge "Fire Injector -- Run Your Car Without Spark Plugs" spark plugs, eh! Nifty. I might've kept 'em on the shelf as curiosities rather than installing 'em, but I imagine they're fairly plentiful on eBay.

I heard that they are of good quality...I just know they are pink :)

-
Back