Removing Complete Dash Assembly (1971 Dodge Dart Swinger)

-

Casey Davis

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
This weekend I plan to remove the complete dash assembly from my 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger for a complete restoration.
Everything from the cowl back has to be removed.
Does anyone have any pointers or know of any articles on doing this?
Any help would be great.

Casey Davis

I just took apart my barracuda dash all in one piece with no problem. The first thing I did was take the windshield out, and steering column after that it was cake.

It is actually easier to take out the whole assembly than piece by piece. Like the answer above, windshield, column out. Then 4 or 5 bolts along the windshield base(5/16), one on each side by the kick panels(7/16), and heater bolts on the firewall, brake supports, wiring bulkhead... whole pile falls out..gently with some help.

I presently have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport completly apart.
Here are a few things to watch for:
It is not just a simple matter of remove windshield and column. Watch for details like unhooking the speedometer cable. Its easier to unhook it from the transmission and make sure it is unhooked form any brackets etc. In this way the cable can slide through the firewall as you ease the dash outward. When you can reach it unhook it from the back of the instrument cluster.
Wiring harness: You can disconnect most of this by seperating the wiring block that is located between the inner and outer firewall. Remember though many of the wires and cables are intertwined so be carful when removing dash.
Disconnect the cables connected to your heater assembly and if AC installed watch for hoses etc.
Remember the radio antenna. Once again a little hard to get to but easy to unhook once you move the dash assembly out a little.
I like taking plenty of digital pictures before, during and after the removal of any assembly. This has saved me hours of headaches in trying to figure out where does this bolt go, bracket fit etc etc.
Good luck and let me know of any problems you run into. This may save us all a headache later!

When I pulled mine years ago I just unbolted the column and let it hang. I didn't have to completely remove the column.

This weekend I plan to remove the complete dash assembly from my 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger for a complete restoration.
Everything from the cowl back has to be removed.
Does anyone have any pointers or know of any articles on doing this?
Any help would be great.

Casey Davis

Any updates on how things went? I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing with my Dart by the way. Maybe I'll post some pics or something for others.

-
Back