Removing scratched up anodize

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Members. I am still in the process of restoring my 65 Dart Charger Clone. Currently, I am polishing the exterior trim, the stainless is a cinch, but the anodized aluminum presents a challenge. The question is how do I remove the anodized from the aluminum? I tried oven cleaner, but I had no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks. sgrip65

The yellow can EZOff worked for me. It took really soaking it then scrubbing with steel wool. Twice was the charm.

The yellow can EZOff worked for me. It took really soaking it then scrubbing with steel wool. Twice was the charm.

Hi Vance. Good to know. I sprayed some off brand oven cleaner on expecting the anodized to dissolve. Nothing can be that easy. Is there a risk of the oven cleaner eating the aluminum? In other words, is there a timeline to be careful of? Thanks for the input. sgrip65

Wear some heavy rubber gloves. EZ-Off is a caustic alkaline that can do some damage on your skin.

Hello Members. I am still in the process of restoring my 65 Dart Charger Clone. Currently, I am polishing the exterior trim, the stainless is a cinch, but the anodized aluminum presents a challenge. The question is how do I remove the anodized from the aluminum? I tried oven cleaner, but I had no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks. sgrip65

Eazy-off oven cleaner works great! The trick is to leave it on long enough . I left it for 3 hours! Wash part well after. Then use a green scotchguard pad or steel wool to finish. I actually buffed my grill parts afterwards with three types of compound and then waxed them. Came out great!
DSCN4903.JPG
DSCN4902.JPG
DSCN4904.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

Eazy-off oven cleaner works great! The trick is to leave it on long enough . I left it for 3 hours! Wash part well after. Then use a green scotchguard pad or steel wool to finish. I actually buffed my grill parts afterwards with three types of compound and then waxed them. Came out great!View attachment 1715286356 View attachment 1715286357 View attachment 1715286358 View attachment 1715286359 View attachment 1715286360

Hello DBL A. Thanks for the pics along with the information. A good start. Appreciate your time and response. sgrip65

Members. I did try glass bead in my sandblast booth on a scrap piece, and that did not work at all. The glass bead leaves pits and, I am sure, a lot of sanding. Doesn't work very well. Thanks. sgrip65

Members. I did try glass bead in my sandblast booth on a scrap piece, and that did not work at all. The glass bead leaves pits and, I am sure, a lot of sanding. Doesn't work very well. Thanks. sgrip65
Depends how course your glass is did this at work mine came out pretty smooth but we use it to clean molds so it has pretty fine glass so not to harm the molds any more than possible

Depends how course your glass is did this at work mine came out pretty smooth but we use it to clean molds so it has pretty fine glass so not to harm the molds any more than possible

Demon. Yes, my glass bead was new and medium grit. Probably too course. Thanks. sgrip65

Hello DBL A. Thanks for the pics along with the information. A good start. Appreciate your time and response. sgrip65

No problem, glad to help.

good luck with your project!!

I tried the yellow can heavy duty easy off, and it works great. Thanks to all for the advice. Much appreciated. Thank you. sgrip65

I tried the yellow can heavy duty easy off, and it works great. Thanks to all for the advice. Much appreciated. Thank you. sgrip65

No problem sgrip65! Glad I could help. Don't forget to thoroughly wash the parts after the Easy off, if you don't get it all , it keeps on working if you know what I mean!! LOL!!

-
Back