Removing Self Adusters

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it still possible to remove the self adjusting drum brake hardware and replace it all with a simple star wheel adjuster that has fewer teeth on the wheel?

The purpose, of course, is to be able to keep the brakes adjusted a bit loose, so that they don't drag too much, especially when the suspension stretches or compresses on launch.

I remember buying them "many moons ago". Is there a source?

This is for a 9" Ford with, I guess what are 10" brakes. (They measure 9 1/2) It's going in my Duster.

Last edited:
Why? To go back to manual adj. brakes, you will also need the special bottom spring that not only holds the shoes together but also keeps the "star" from turning.

Why? To go back to manual adj. brakes, you will also need the special bottom spring that not only holds the shoes together but also keeps the "star" from turning.
"Why" is mentioned in my post.
I forgot how the star was kept from turning. Thanks.

Back in the late 1970s, a friend of mine removed the cable actuator and left the star wheel in place. He would manually back off the star wheel for racing and then adjust them back after he was done. Of course, periodically he would have to readjust the brakes as the shoe lining wore down from everyday driving. He didn’t mind doing that.

I remember reading that some police and taxi spec cars did not have self adjusters at the front drums. Not sure why. Anyway, I would think you could just cut or remove the cable, unless Ford rear brakes are different. The downside is ya need to hold off the lever then adjust the star wheel, or just pull the drums and measure.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been searching and I think I've found what I need.

Early 60's Fords have the 9" rear and manual adjusters. I found only them ("manual drum brake adjusting screw") at Rockauto. No springs.

Found a brake parts set that looks like it has the right return spring. (early 60's Ford with 10" brakes) They're available at a lot of places. One of the manual adjuster return springs is longer, because the auto adjusting stuff is out of there.
The other thing I needed is a spring to hold the adjuster in, and hold the bottom of the shoes together, while it captures the star wheel so that it doesn't spin. I found what look to be the right one at Macs Auto Parts. ("brake adjusting spring", a different one is listed as "auto adjusting spring")

Esentially, I found the parts separately. The used to come in a set. It all looks good, but I won't know for sure until I try them. It's all cheap enough.

Hard to describe, but I'll post a couple pictures if and when I get it together.

I used to have some SACO kits. I think it stood for Self Adjusting Change Over or something like that. No idea if they are still available. I used them on my Coronet back in the day just to keep stuff simple. It was a high quality kit and they worked great.

I have it back together.

The manual star adjusters were a bit too long, but the manual adjusting springs work. I used the original auto adjusting star wheel with them. The manual springs keep the adjusters from turning on their own.

I found a return spring in the kit that replaced the short return spring that was used with the auto adjust set up.

There are two before and two after pictures. The after also shows the E- brake hardware removed. I found that the cables from the original 7.25 rear are the same at the end where they attach to the brake hardware. I might put it back later. Can't have too many braking options.

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

-
Back