Removing Under Coating?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks to removing under coating? Is ther any type of solvent that might help soften it up? Thanks Warren

I use one of those small hand held blue torches.Heat it up some and scrape it off.If there is a easier way I want to know too.
Jim

I'm doing it on my 65 Cuda now and the torch and scrape method is working best for me.

an electric heat gun will work also. I keep a cement block handy to wipe th putty knife off on.
This jogs my memory about a tool and its use....
Rockwell has a new vibrating tool. During their 30 minute infommercial they demonstate all sorts of uses. I would sure like to know if it would remove undercoating. Its a bit expensive but they needed only show me the one more use to make the sell.

I use Goof-Off. Spray and let it soak in then scrape. Remove the remaining stuff with wire wheel.

This isn't PC and probably violates a ton of EPA regs, but you asked for techniques that work. This one does.

Back in the day, we used to prep bodies retrieved from salvage yards by stripping them completely. To get rid of the undercoating and other junk on the underside, we would get a case of beer and a couple of gallons of diesel fuel. We'd roll the car over on the roof and douse the underside with the diesel fuel and light it. The beer had two purposes; something to do while watching the burn and a portable supply of water to put out any un-intentend fires. We'd still have to use a wire wheel a little bit after things cooled.

The scariest thing we had happen was a rear quarter panel fell off a Fairlane once while the burn was on. Evidently undercoating doubled as an adhesive on the particular day at the factory.

I use a welders needle gun. If it's oem undercoat it's usually very dry and falls right off..

-
Back