Removing window glass

-

zigs

Reaction score
My 70 Duster is pretty much rust free. The head liner was shot so I pulled it out. I pulled back the rubber lip seal to get all the liner out and noticed how nice the seal was . I know its customary to pull the glass when restoring especially before painting but this is really in good shape and hate to disturb it. Is there a way around this. I don't want a half assed job but don't want to remove it if I don't have to.

I have painted some and left the windshield in, my trick is weed eater line, I pick up the rubber seal and the plastic line holds it up so new paint will be under seal when removed.

I have painted some and left the windshield in, my trick is weed eater line, I pick up the rubber seal and the plastic line holds it up so new paint will be under seal when removed.
Good idea . another problem is storing glass while working. It may be awhile before I paint.

I've always wrapped mine up in furniture moving blankets and put them in a closet in the house. I never like to leave glass in the garage. I ruined a good windshield once back in my younger years, I had it sitting on cardboard leaning against the wall and threw grinding sparks on it cutting out a quarter panel for a patch. The spark's stuck to it and burnt Into the glass.

I've always wrapped mine up in furniture moving blankets and put them in a closet in the house. I never like to leave glass in the garage. I ruined a good windshield once back in my younger years, I had it sitting on cardboard leaning against the wall and threw grinding sparks on it cutting out a quarter panel for a patch. The spark's stuck to it and burnt Into the glass.
Same here . On my Dart , had it at a shop they pulled the glass and leaned it against a wall. First guy that came in slammed the man door and the glass slid down the wall.

My glass for projects is in this padded rack in my loft. Currently has 3 A body windshields. One is used 2 are new. And 1 new Daytona Shelby windshield,

20181211_204857.jpg

20181211_211522.jpg

20181211_211508.jpg

Built it out of scrap 3/4" plywood and 2x4s had laying around. I am not a wood working guy by any means, but it was a quick n dirty project to get my glass somewhere safe. Especially the Daytona glass. I bought one of the last 2 windshields Safelite had for that car. Nobody else in the country has them. $250 for it. Not about to let it get broken.

Built it out of scrap 3/4" plywood and 2x4s had laying around. I am not a wood working guy by any means, but it was a quick n dirty project to get my glass somewhere safe. Especially the Daytona glass. I bought one of the last 2 windshields Safelite had for that car. Nobody else in the country has them. $250 for it. Not about to let it get broken.
My space is at a premium . If I do pull the glass I'll probably have to store it in the house somewhere.

Be very careful with the edges of back glass. Safety glass will take a light hammer tap on the face, but a slight hit on the edge is all it takes to drop it in a pile. I had one stored for years and 'blew it up' when I went to clean it.

-
Back