Replace Master Cylinder

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
Is there a direct replacement for the master cylinder in this picture? This is the stock MC for my 69 Dart GT with four wheel drum brakes. I would like to replace this as part of my cleanup under the hood. Would appreciate any advice on the best replacement for this MC. Also, is there a direct replacement for those metal lines that come off of the MC as well?

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/W...art Restoration/IMG_0230_zpsd8c33427.jpg.html

Lines are available from many sources. Inline tubes sell them as well as others.

I have some NOS ones.

The master is another issue. Looks like an original to me. The after market ones will appear different but function the same. If you do not rebuild it you might want to keep it and not turn in as a core. These are getting hard to find and a someone doing a serious restoration will buy the core for way more than the turn in value.

That does NOT look like a drum master. The larger rear section says "disk"

I had a 69 Dart with 9" drum brakes. The MC was different, with equal size reservoirs, not the large rear one everyone here notices. That MC was almost always on disk cars, but never say "always" with older U.S. cars. First priority was keeping the assembly line running, so who knows if they raided another part bin. Are you 100% sure you don't have front disks (especially since a GT car)? If you do, jump for joy. If it ever did have front disks, you probably still have a "combination block" for that instead of the simple "distribution block" on drum-drum cars. Search for photos to compare.

I just bought an aluminum master cylinder from Dr Diff. So much lighter than the drum MC I took off. I'm also using Copper Nickel brake lines. These things are amazing. So easy to bend, they don't kink, not supposed to rust, and they look nice. I put a full loop in one line and found the line was too short. So I completely unraveled the loop and did the routing completely different. You can't tell that I ever looped the line and re-bent it. Did it all by hand with no bending tools.

Go down to Oreillys,Kragens,Auto zone,whatever you have close.
Tell them you need an Master Cylinder for a 1973 Dart with disc brakes.
Bolt it on. Put in drive.

Brake lines from inline tube.

A drum/drum master cylinder for your car should look like the one in this picture.

Autos

A drum/drum master cylinder for your car should look like the one in this picture.

Can you find documentation to support this, because what I'm seeing "says" the opposite. Maybe some replacements are different?

Sorry, every Dart I've had from '69 with front and rear drums has had the 2 round caps, with equal sized areas for fluid, unlike disc/drum which is large/small.

My 13,000 mile '70 Dart had the same one for drum/drum.

Autos

I am absolutely certain my car is a factory drum/drum car. That being said, I asked this question because when I was looking at re-manufactured MC's (like Cardone), the one that is on my car looked like the ones they are selling as disc brake MC's. So I am not sure whether to just reorder one that looks like the one on my car, or something else.

I am absolutely certain my car is a factory drum/drum car. That being said, I asked this question because when I was looking at re-manufactured MC's (like Cardone), the one that is on my car looked like the ones they are selling as disc brake MC's. So I am not sure whether to just reorder one that looks like the one on my car, or something else.

I'd order one to specify drum. The other thing about drum / drum masters is that they have what is called residual valves in the master. The disc section of a disc master does not.

This is the original M/C off my 69 Swinger, which I've owned since new..

Hope it helps

Attachments

• Master cyl 002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 254
I know I'm late to the party, but that MC looks like the one on my '74 Swinger with drum/drum brakes (mine matches the picture in the 1974 shop manual). I'd guess maybe someone replaced your original '69 drum/drum MC with a later-model drum/drum MC.

-
Back