Replacement Fuel Tanks

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
I determined that I am going to gut out and remove the entire fuel system from my car

Without knowing the condition of all the current components, I want to start from scratch and replace it all

With all that being said, I was looking at the gas tanks that are electric pump friendly......it seems like having an electric pump is the way to go

Can anyone comment on these tanks or provide anything valuable in my fuel supply project?

It looks like I can get a tank, the pump, the sending unit, the straps, and everything needed for $450ish

I would think a electric pump would be a plus ans long as it's a low pressure (TBI 15#) and you use a regulator. Good idea I think.

I determined that I am going to gut out and remove the entire fuel system from my car

Without knowing the condition of all the current components, I want to start from scratch and replace it all

With all that being said, I was looking at the gas tanks that are electric pump friendly......it seems like having an electric pump is the way to go

Can anyone comment on these tanks or provide anything valuable in my fuel supply project?

It looks like I can get a tank, the pump, the sending unit, the straps, and everything needed for $450ish
Tanks Inc. makes a very nice set up if you want to go electric fuel pump. Not a fan of external electric pumps myself, but that's just me. I went efi and went with them when I upgraded the system.
But, I'd drop the tank first and see what it looks like inside before you start ordering parts. My factory tank on my 68 was clean as can be inside and a mechanical pump was fine for a carb system.

Maybe I am cheap, actually just poor, but I am looking at this tank.

Speedmaster 1-130-011 Aluminum Fuel Cell, 15 Gallon

Pump is TBD once a few other decisions are made. It will drop right in but I need to verify efi rqmts with -8 lines once I decide which efi.

These are heavier gua aluminim than Tanks Inc I see also.

I have an use 2 Tanks Inc. tanks, one in my 70 Challenger and one in my 52 B3B; very nice units.

Maybe I am cheap, actually just poor, but I am looking at this tank.

Speedmaster 1-130-011 Aluminum Fuel Cell, 15 Gallon

Pump is TBD once a few other decisions are made. It will drop right in but I need to verify efi rqmts with -8 lines once I decide which efi.

These are heavier gua aluminim than Tanks Inc I see also.

Not sure what you drive but you can usually get the Tanks Inc through Summit Racing for a lot less. Mine was $206 instead of $250 throw in a discount code and you're same or cheaper and keep the trunk space.

Good point, I will check that out!

69 Dart, I was planning to recess it and not lose space.

Thanks

CORRECTION: dgibby - I was looking at Hot Rod City!

I recently did the EFI Fitech swap and kept my stock tank. I removed it, cleaned it using soap and a heavy duty degreaser then cut a hole in the top and installed a fitech intank pump.

From there I vented it and got some foam and put it on top of the new pump to space it and prevent it from grounding out. Put it back in with new fuel lines right up to a new regulator. Only tricky part was getting the angle right on the fuel neck. The foam threw it off a bit.

I have the Tanks Inc one in my Cuda. It's pretty quite and delivers what I need to the 392 with no issues. Buy the GM style fuel filter and plug away. I also installed new year one fuel lines while I was at it. Only probs I have is that my gas gauge is off a lot and it tends to overfill easily and spill gas on my rear.

You sure you have the right sending unit for your gauge? Might be a bad gauge, bad sending unit, or bad ground. The overfill deal is somewhat a product of the design but might also be the pump you are filling at; new nozzles should kick off.

Great comments. Yes I bought the Cuda version. Gauge worked great before with old tank. She's well grounded. Yes the pump kicks off but the new tube is designed differently that. The original so I just keep and eye on it.

So it must be something with the sending unit. Tanks Inc. uses generic type sending units and while I am sure you told them what you were putting it in, its possible (probable) they send you the wrong one.

Your probably right. I'm sure I set the height correctly so I'll measure the signal to see what I got coming in. For now I know I get 17.6mpg on this new hemi so I'll just keep an eye on the miles when the gauge hits empty.

The kit from Tanks Inc seems nice and complete

Yes, it's pricey but do it once and it should be worry free

The fuel cell in the trunk was an idea, but I would prefer a stock look

Completely agree, as I said I have 2 of them and both were/are great units. Pretty much plug and play; the fuel lines are the biggest obstacle. That said, I would suggest you look at an access panel in the trunk about the sending unit and pump. If there is an issue, you have to drop the tank to fix it and you know this will happen when the tank is full.

With the EFI tank kits from Tanks Inc, are fittings with braided lines used, or?

I didn't know if the connections used threads or a barb fitting

Also, I see that there are pump options......Holley Sniper and a Walbro.

Holley Sniper EFI 255 LPH Fuel pump

Walbro pumps are either 190 LPH or 255 KPH

Which is better and why?

Last edited:
With the EFI tank kits from Tanks Inc, are fittings with braided lines used, or?

I didn't know if the connections used threads or a barb fitting

Also, I see that there are pump options......Holley Sniper and a Walbro.

Holley Sniper EFI 255 LPH Fuel pump

Walbro pumps are either 190 LPH or 255 KPH

Which is better and why?
You supply the fittings for the pump so you can use whatever you want to work with. The vent is a barbed fitting.
I use push-lock fuel line for mine but I was switching to EFI so I needed to go larger on the fuel line and add a return line. If you are going to use the factory metal line you'll have to figure how to connect the short distance to the new pump.
Pump wise, they are rated on horsepower so you'll have to figure that out. If you're going to up the power in the future I'd go with the 255 lph unless you'll be pushing the 600 hp mark, then even a bigger pump.
I'm pretty sure the Holley pump is the same 255 lph pump and tank, just packaged for Holley.

There's also a few different links on the Tanks Inc website for fuel line routing, pump choice for carb or efi. Check them out, good info to start with.

The Tanks Inc. tank is a work of art. I put it in when I went with Fitech fuel injection. I highly recommend it.
IMG_20180617_024618275-800x600 (1)-600x450.jpg

I have a tanks inc tank. It is nice. I got the EFI setup, the only issue is the sending unit holes don’t match well with the tank. Will need to break out the Dremel to do some grinding to make it work.

I have a tanks inc tank. It is nice. I got the EFI setup, the only issue is the sending unit holes don’t match well with the tank. Will need to break out the Dremel to do some grinding to make it work.
Wow, I didn't have that issue but like anything made there are tolerances and if the sending unit is off one way and the tank is off the other way I can see that happening.

I had no issues with my Tanks Inc EFI tank. However, I would spend the couple extra dollars and ge there upgraded fuel sender, I bought the cheap one and my gauge couldn’t be any further off, it reads full at full, and empty at empty, but it drops to 1/8 tank after like 3 gallons are gone.

-
Back