-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
looking for ideas for replacement front seats for the 68 Barracuda

either aftermarket or moved from a different vehicle

here is an older post that addressed the same subject,

Best Modern Seats?

looking for another new ideas

I just bought and dropped these at the upholstery shop to get redone in the factory vinyl and style. I'm even using factory brackets. Just had to make some mounting tabs. The width was correct but it was about 2" shy on the length.

6119.jpeg

6117.jpeg

IMG_20190531_104021858.jpg

IMG_20190531_104029646.jpg

IMG_20190531_102246276.jpg

IMG_20190531_103629253.jpg

IMG_20190531_103623249.jpg

I just bought and dropped these at the upholstery shop to get redone in the factory vinyl and style. I'm even using factory brackets. Just had to make some mounting tabs. The width was correct but it was about 2" shy on the length.

View attachment 1715352931

View attachment 1715352932

View attachment 1715352933

View attachment 1715352934

View attachment 1715352935

View attachment 1715352936

View attachment 1715352937
Recardo’s are classic, what did they come out of?

Seen a guy on here use 05-09 mustang GT buckets in a 70 demon or duster i think. Those have an old timey 1960s pleated pattern. Very similar to a 69 barracuda. Those years of mustangs are starting to hit the boneyards about this timeframe.

Look for the ones that dont have the side airbag mounted in the seat. Theres an airbag tag stitched in the seat sides if they have it. The side airbag was an optional deal for a number of those years. I have a 2007 model Mustang GT it doesnt have the side bolster airbags.

I guess you can install those seats and just wire the 2 airbag wires together as a faraday cage so the bag cant deploy on its own at random from static electricity.

Really, you are building a 68 Barracuda and you are going to put some after market seats in it. Yes they are a little more comfortable but, I just picked up a set of 68's for my Barracuda, yes they need recovered but this is why I build old car's to make then as original as my budget will allow me. The interior is what draws most of the attention other than the engine compartment. Think about what you are doing, stock seats are worth there weight in gold in my own opinion.
Bob

I personally dont like modern seats and interior in classic cars. I think it would look much better if you could find some 60s-70s bucket seats or even a bench seat. Just my 2 cents

Recardo’s are classic, what did they come out of?
These are not stock in any vehicle that I know of. They are just a true aftermarket seat from the 80-90's. Recaro did have some factory seats in the era in vw's and halo mustang seats. I was fortunate to find a minimally used pair. I'm not generally a fan of aftermarket or modern seats in old cars but I think recovered and patterned like factory should look nice. My whole theme of my car is to be subtle, so we'll see?

"I build old car's to make then as original as my budget will allow me."
"I think it would look much better..."

Ever heard 'its your car build it the way you want it',
I subscribe to that. My cars are not garage/trailer queens, but for the folks that do that, its their car. If that is what they want, it does not bother me.
But it also does not do anything for me. I build cars to be driven and to be actually used up. My car had stock seats and I sold them, maybe to guy like you,,
For me, the stock seats were way to flat and did not have the support for the spirited driving that I do.

I have seen a few that have used Chrysler Sebring convertible seats. All the bells and whistles including built in shoulder harnesses.

IMO there are two issues . One : factory seats are expensive to buy used and you have to cover them in your colors ; expensive . Two : aftermarket seats are almost never in your interior color (except black ) covering them in your colors ; expensive . You have a hard decision to make , good luck .

"used Chrysler Sebring convertible seats."

and that is exactly what I had in the car previously, power driver seat, had the inertia lock system wired in.
However I am looking for seats with more side bolster support.

The Sebring seats are available if anyone is interested

I just wonder how a VW low back seats would work? Maybe a pair someone had already upholstered?
I too am picky about using factory seats in my old cars, but I understand the challenge of itall!!

How did you make out? Any progress yet?

I'm working on the same question. My goals are something that look (or are) relatively period-correct, lighter than stock, good lateral support, black vinyl.

Buying used seats is always a roll of the dice...re-covering with vinyl is expensive, as is having the farts professionally vacuumed out of the cushions.

The main thing is that I don't want any "fat guy" seats. The Procar seats look like they're nice quality, more or less fit the aesthetics of our old machines...but they're waaay to thick and puffy (for my personal taste).

Any thoughts?

I have a set of 05 Cadillac CTS-V seats. They have the seat belt integrated into the seat and are very comfy and supportive. I forget the year span, but you can find them in the yards. Mine were $125 for the set .

They came in Black Leather and cloth. Look up @Tincup thread. He gave me the idea. Mine aren't installed yet.

How did you make out? Any progress yet?

I'm working on the same question. My goals are something that look (or are) relatively period-correct, lighter than stock, good lateral support, black vinyl.

Buying used seats is always a roll of the dice...re-covering with vinyl is expensive, as is having the farts professionally vacuumed out of the cushions.

The main thing is that I don't want any "fat guy" seats. The Procar seats look like they're nice quality, more or less fit the aesthetics of our old machines...but they're waaay to thick and puffy (for my personal taste).

Any thoughts?

here is a link with photos of the Procar seats installed in the 68 Barracuda
Procar Lumbar Elite vs Corbeau Sport Seat

the seats are well made, the brackets made the install easy (if the correct ones are ordered, see the post). The seats are comfortable and I think they fit the car
for what I am doing with it.

here is a link with photos of the Procar seats installed in the 68 Barracuda
Procar Lumbar Elite vs Corbeau Sport Seat

the seats are well made, the brackets made the install easy (if the correct ones are ordered, see the post). The seats are comfortable and I think they fit the car
for what I am doing with it.

Thanks for the link to the update! The seats look really good. Modern, well bolstered and not overwhelmingly huge :)
They're not the style that I want for my own build but it's a great reference point for what a modern seat can look like. You do good work!

Here's how mine turned out from above. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Although I have driven the car yet.

IMG_20190717_185556387.jpg

IMG_20190913_190427436.jpg

either aftermarket or moved from a different vehicle

here is an older post that addressed the same subject,

Best Modern Seats?

looking for another new ideas
I think these Procar Pro90 seats are a pretty good match for the era, I’ve gone with a set of these in low back style for my 69 Hardtop (Dart) and have had the rear seat trimmed to match. For those that are interested I’ve also attached some pics of a 68 Dart using the Pro90s with headrests and a matched rear seat as well as the Scat subframe adaptor.

C3BCCB3D-91BC-46B8-A1C7-3B831AF2FF46.jpeg

83465ACE-B9D6-47F8-89EB-5D2A495AA7FE.jpeg

835D502A-24BB-45B0-AAA3-4CA11E0E6499.png

D7DE8486-A0A5-4B4C-A120-7337FF78BA61.png

E5FDC447-CA62-45BC-9DFE-BBC4E035ED1F.jpeg

I think these Procar Pro90 seats are a pretty good match for the era, I’ve gone with a set of these in low back style for my 69 Hardtop (Dart) and have had the rear seat trimmed to match. For those that are interested I’ve also attached some pics of a 68 Dart using the Pro90s with headrests and a matched rear seat as well as the Scat subframe adaptor.

View attachment 1715395763

View attachment 1715395764

View attachment 1715395765

View attachment 1715395766

View attachment 1715395767

These look like a nice alternative knowing what a person is up against buying and redoing factory sests and finding original working seat tracks besides.

The TMI stuff does look nice but wow, expensive. I really like the VW GTI seats from 2010-current. They are mechanical but have really nice heaters built into them. I had a GTI and they are my favorite seats of all the cars I've had.

Otherwise, I just found the Legendary Mopar Rallye stuff. Take a look at those. They are period correct look but with added side bolsters and you use your original seat frames. They are a bit expensive, like $700 to recover a pair. I watched the videos on how to recover our seats and they demo those with the extra bolsters. They look really good once done and the install doesn't look too terrible. Of course they have their best guy doing the install in the video, he makes it look really easy.

This past summer I went on a 3500 mile round trip road trip with my son. We took my 2007 mustang GT. I have sciatic nerve problems, and had lower back surgery for a disc issue. I half expected these seats to punish me. They did not at all. Other than the usual stiffness one gets when driving 10 hours at a clip. A very comfortable seat, plus the 2005 to 2009 LX V6 cars which they made a whole bunch of, shared the same bucket seat with different coverings and are now hitting the junkyards. Watch for the ones with optional side impact built in airbag and stay away from those.

I bought TMI seats and love them. Here is why I feel they are worth it. Cost of take out seats $500.00 plus shipping. Recover them will be around another $700. That makes $1200, and I bought brand new seats with mounts for $1600 to my door.

My local boneyard charges me $75 a pair. Pick n pull yards are just as cheap. Theres companies now making prestitched repop vinyl upholstery for the 2005-2009 mustang GT seats for $375. $700 in leather, you can recover em in an afternoon. New padding also available. Buy a set of LX V6 seats in any color, repaint the hard plastics black, Go black vinyl and new padding you prob looking at $700 done ready to install Just sayin

-
Back