Replacement Tach

-

wyd_opn

Reaction score
I see where Year One has an a-body reproduction tach that looks close to original except it revs to 7K, instead of the stock 6K. Has anyone tried this tach or come across another make that fits and looks close? Been tempted to buy an original, but they are big bucks and even when working properly can read 1K low, so I've been told.

Yeah this I'd like to see too, just noticed now that they make one. I run two tachs an autometer and my factory tach but I'd gladly jump all over the price from eyar one of its as good as it sounds.

I have been having this same tach dilemma. I have a 68 Formula S 340 4 speed. 57K org miles. The interior is 100% stock. My car came with a clock. I decided against a factory tach because it only goes to 6 grand and I shift at 8 grand (low milage car with highly modified original engine). I decided against the Year One tach because the extended RPM range gives it away as being non stock. This IS what I did... Got on Ebay and looked for a 60s early 70s Sun, Stewart Warner or Dixco Tach. I got a Dixco for $63. Now I have a tach that looks period correct and has the RPM range I need.

I'm not so worried about being incorrect. My issue is the stock tach even after being calibrated is so sloooooow it was useless. So I put in an autometer. But I'd rather have an operational tach where its nice and easy to see and fill the hole in the dash at the same time.

Does anyone know who makes the movememnt for them and aside from the larger scale how close the lettering is? Just curious how accurate it is.

Looks good anyways. How do you find the movement for accuracy?

Any pic s of it in the car? I just hate haveing a dead gauge in my cluster, I am going to wire in a mech oil pressure gauge and a water temp gauge but am leaveing the factory gauges operational also.

A friend who restores a-body instrument clusters has come up with a way to install aftermarket tachs that are OEM similar in appearance. He also can help you restore your entire cluster. Give John a holler - [email]Ajohn2kinc@aol.com[/email]

[ATTACH=full]1081[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• duster_pnl_john.JPG
    duster_pnl_john.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 209
I've got a Charger Specialties tach installed in my 1970 340 Duster Rallye cluster. Works just fine. Cheaply made, tho'...but they seem to be pretty accurate (when checked with my dwell/tach).

-
Back