Replacing 273 with a 440 in a Barracuda

-

Big Block Kris

Reaction score
So I just disassemble my small block 273 and found out that it is no good. The good news is is that I have a 440 sitting on an engine stand that could be dropped into my 1967 Fastback Barracuda in place of the small block.Since I haven't shoehorned one into a A body, what am I up against? I've done it with a E body but never an A body. I just tracked down a 727 torqueflite 440 bolt pattern to replace a 904 that's in there now. Do I need to change the K frame? What motor mount brackets will I have to use? And does anybody have a line on some of them. As for the transmission mount will the one that was used on the 904 work and the crossmember work for that? Also does anybody have a set of 440 A body headers they are looking to get rid of? I figured the radiator will probably need to be bigger so any suggestions on that and how to make sure this thing stays cool enough will be appreciate also. It's got a manual steering box in it and manual brakes so I don't have to worry about a brake booster or power steering pump in the way. The car is a floor shift with center console so I'm hoping that the shifter brackets and all that will go right on side of the 727 from the 904? The 440 has a center sump on it but not sure for wich car.So what else am I missing what else do I need to do? Anybody who's done this conversion your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

1521070398289887002765.jpg

So I just disassemble my small block 273 and found out that it is no good. The good news is is that I have a 440 sitting on an engine stand that could be dropped into my 1967 Fastback Barracuda in place of the small block.Since I haven't shoehorned one into a A body, what am I up against? I've done it with a E body but never an A body. I just tracked down a 727 torqueflite 440 bolt pattern to replace a 904 that's in there now. Do I need to change the K frame? What motor mount brackets will I have to use? And does anybody have a line on some of them. As for the transmission mount will the one that was used on the 904 work and the crossmember work for that? Also does anybody have a set of 440 A body headers they are looking to get rid of? I figured the radiator will probably need to be bigger so any suggestions on that and how to make sure this thing stays cool enough will be appreciate also. It's got a manual steering box in it and manual brakes so I don't have to worry about a brake booster or power steering pump in the way. The car is a floor shift with center console so I'm hoping that the shifter brackets and all that will go right on side of the 727 from the 904? The 440 has a center sump on it but not sure for wich car.So what else am I missing what else do I need to do? Anybody who's done this conversion your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

View attachment 1715152966
What did you find no good with the 273? It has Hypo pistons.

Member Jim Lusk should be able to answer all your questions.

You can do anything from Original, K frame and mounts, radiator, exhaust manifolds, torsion bars, and sway bar. Or get a set of adapter mounts and headers from Schumacher. The original radiators were 3 core. Kick down and trans dipstick and tube were different. There was a Heat shield for the brake proportioning valve. Trans mount is good, driveshaft will need to be shortened, 8 3/4 rear.

Like Mike said those are commando pistons. If you don't want to repair the 273, I would be interested in the pistons.

What did you find no good with the 273? It has Hypo pistons.
Cylinder #5 has taken on the contents of the cooling system for years. The head is warped and pitting on the block and head where the coolant ate the head gasket.The cylinder is pitted and eroded up where the coolant sat and of course that piston was down.The camshaft is gaulled up badly and several lobes ground down.All freeze plugs rotting out and leaking.This car had sat in a farm field since 1992 when I bought it last year.It has been a headache trying to get that engine going. Disassembled it today because of cam and decided to pull the heads.Thats when I found the mess.

Like Mike said those are commando pistons. If you don't want to repair the 273, I would be interested in the pistons.
We can work that out.Let me pull the engine the rest of the way out and make sure #5 is ok.It will be a few days before that happens but will PM when removed

You can do anything from Original, K frame and mounts, radiator, exhaust manifolds, torsion bars, and sway bar. Or get a set of adapter mounts and headers from Schumacher. The original radiators were 3 core. Kick down and trans dipstick and tube were different. There was a Heat shield for the brake proportioning valve. Trans mount is good, driveshaft will need to be shortened, 8 3/4 rear.
I need clarification please...So when you say "You can do anything from Original, K frame and mounts" does that mean the original 273 engine mounts and K frame will work on the 440? Any ideas where to get the kickdown and dipstick tube?

5BBA8A01-7ED9-4BE4-8C13-E55A812E83EB.jpeg
I changed the original 273 in my 69 Dart to a 440. I got a later spool type k frame and made a K member. The K members were sold by Direct Connection but the instructions on how to make one is in the tech section of Big Block Dart. If I did it again I would move the engine forward 1/4 to 1/2 an inch to make a little more clearance with the firewall.I used Pro Parts Headers from Bob Mazzolini. Great headers, one tube goes through the inner fender wells on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. You can use power steering with these headers, I didn’t. I intitially used a shortened 8 3/4, 3.91 with 28 in’s has diameter tires. I moved the springs under the sub frame and tubbed it by splitting the wheel houses and adding 3 inches. It’s a tight fit especially where the collector pass the transmission. I have a trans blanket that almost touches the collectors. It’s had to get a manifold low enough that you don’t have to cut the hood, a street Dominator might work.

I build copies of the old Direct Connection k-member, but the 73-76 V8 K-members are getting harder to find to modify. Schumacher Creative Services has conversion mounts as do other companies (Trans-Dapt). Lots of ways to accomplish this and none of them all that difficult.

Make Your Own DC-K Frame

I used a Lokar throttle pressure cable and a Lokar tramission dipstick. I tried a Hughes dipstick and a stock dipstick tube, but Lokar worked best. The Lokar throttle pressure cable makes that part easy. Like I said I wished I had made the DC type K member where the engine sat 1/2 forward from the D C position, then maybe a stock dip stick tube will work. I have plenty of room in front of the engine with dual pusher fans, never overheats.r

All the suspension and brake upgrades you can afford. Torsion bars and a stabilizer bar if nothing else. I've met only 1 68 383 S B'cuda owner who honestly stated, "It's nose heavy, don't handle worth chit". I guess this is because very few will "poor mouth" their own car. This particular owner had driven his share of small block A-body examples. This S fastback was a new purchase and driving experience. He recognized the difference.

If you don’t mind a little more vibration just fab up some solid motor mounts out of steel square tube. It’s the easiest and cheapest way and you can put the motor wherever you like.

View attachment 1715152966

Been done thousand times.....

...or you can surf over to www.bigblockdart.com and get all the info you need.

BigBlockDart.Com

I used a Lokar throttle pressure cable and a Lokar tramission dipstick. I tried a Hughes dipstick and a stock dipstick tube, but Lokar worked best. The Lokar throttle pressure cable makes that part easy. Like I said I wished I had made the DC type K member where the engine sat 1/2 forward from the D C position, then maybe a stock dip stick tube will work. I have plenty of room in front of the engine with dual pusher fans, never overheats.r

Never had any problem with the engine in the correct location. Most of our builds have been four speeds, but the one automatic had no trouble with the trans dipstick tube. We did use a Lokar kickdown cable because we didn't have the right linkage. You quickly run out of fan room if you move the engine forward. You can see the dipstick tube in these pics.
P7300973.JPG
P1011276.JPG
P1011302.JPG

I build copies of the old Direct Connection k-member, but the 73-76 V8 K-members are getting harder to find to modify. Schumacher Creative Services has conversion mounts as do other companies (Trans-Dapt). Lots of ways to accomplish this and none of them all that difficult.

Make Your Own DC-K Frame

Will these mounts still work to be cut and moved.They look different than the ones in the video

1521171689935-1144185488.jpg

1521171843833-584078931.jpg

the K in the video is later model with fail safe spool type motor supports. What you have is earlier biscuit type. I suppose that why someone suggested steel tubing for motor supports. Just drill the bolt holes where you need them.

No, that k-member will not work with the DC measurements, but you can fab up mounts to work with that k-member or buy Schumacher. I prefer the DC k-member, but the 73-76 V8 k-members are getting very hard to find. I used to always have a couple on hand. Right now the only one I have is for my '67 Barracuda convertible.

I need clarification please...So when you say "You can do anything from Original, K frame and mounts" does that mean the original 273 engine mounts and K frame will work on the 440? Any ideas where to get the kickdown and dipstick tube?

I mean’t Original 67-69 big block A Bodies. I know Schumacher sells conversion mounts, to use your 273 K Frame. If I was doing one that is the way I would go, plus I would get their headers also. Kick down I would get the Bouchillion Performance cable kickdown kit. They might even make the dipstick and tube. A and A Transmission is also a good source. Jim Lusk is top notch if he can make you a K Frame. Lots of ways to modify things, but I prefer to go a more Engineered route.

I mean’t Original 67-69 big block A Bodies. I know Schumacher sells conversion mounts, to use your 273 K Frame. If I was doing one that is the way I would go, plus I would get their headers also. Kick down I would get the Bouchillion Performance cable kickdown kit. They might even make the dipstick and tube. A and A Transmission is also a good source. Jim Lusk is top notch if he can make you a K Frame. Lots of ways to modify things, but I prefer to go a more Engineered route.
Thank you for the follow up info.I am going to order the mounts from Schumacher possibly tomorrow.Just seems more convenient to do it that way and spend more time on other parts of the build.Made the decision to also not wait and go ahead and build the 440 supercharged.Its been one of my long long time ago dreams to build one and now will become a reality.This car is gonna be fun for me and my son!

Thank you for the follow up info.I am going to order the mounts from Schumacher possibly tomorrow.Just seems more convenient to do it that way and spend more time on other parts of the build.Made the decision to also not wait and go ahead and build the 440 supercharged.Its been one of my long long time ago dreams to build one and now will become a reality.This car is gonna be fun for me and my son!

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet but the spool style mounts are much better than the earlier biscuit style but require the 73 and newer K to work.

-
Back