Replacing shift shaft on a 904 - help, maybe?

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, getting ready to finish up the engine/transmission install on my 66 barracuda

I started working on the freshly rebuilt a904 - Because of multiple reasons - it has been boxed up for a couple months as I was getting ready for the swap - plus life getting in the way.

I was installing the linkage off my existing 904 - which came to a halt at the shift shaft. The top shaft has been cut off and smoothed - appears to have been done by design.

Hopefully I am missing something - I can not figure out how to install the kickdown leaver. And from my limited research, this leaver is also required for the lokar 2904 kit. Am I missing something?

Or do I need to replace the shift shaft and seal?

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

It looks like the small shaft has slipped "down" in side the large shaft. Can you pull it up,???. You can remove the neutral saftey switch, and may be pry it up. Their is a small "E" clip that holds the small shaft up, if its missing the small shaft will slide down, inside the larger one. Their are two seals total, one on large shaft, one in small shaft, under the "E" clip. It should look like the pic of the grungy one, when the small shaft is up. I see the "E" clip is on the small shaft. Get e new clip, as that one maybe worn out. clamp a small vice grip on the shaft to hold it up, while you replace/reposision the "E" clip, there is a slot on the small shaft for the clip.
Dave

Last edited:
What CudaFact said! I would also say you have a Full Manual Valve Body where there is no provision to attach the throttle pressure lever.

Everyone thank you, i believe it does have the manual valve body - the 904 is built for a high hp engine - and this caught me off balance And still learning

I confirmed with the builder - it does have a full manual valve body. And the shaft was removed to cut down on confusion. Which of course, saved me and confused me all at the same time

I confirmed with the builder - it does have a full manual valve body. And the shaft was removed to cut down on confusion. Which of course, saved me and confused me all at the same time

You can tell the TP shaft has been cut off for use with a manual valve body because the clip is there, but the top of the shaft is normally a half circle to fit into the lever with the 1/2 circle.

So IF you do have a manual valve body you don't need to do anything with that shaft or lever as already mentioned.

-
Back