Replacing studs on K-H setup?

-

mopower440

Reaction score
I got the K-H setup installed on my dart finally and i have 3 studs that need to be changed. 2 of them look fine but known good nuts will not screw onto them. I bought a cheap die from harbor freight and it broke so im done playing around with it and just want to replace the studs. Can anyone explain this procedure? Im sure i have to take the center nut off and remove the hub/rotor assembly and beat them out?

Mymopar.com , download your year Factory Service Manual.

Just to be sure your not using a right hand tap on left hand studs?

I never shop at China Freight. If I need a tool, I'm willing to buy ones that last.

If the old studs are really bad, a heavy brass drift and a big hammer should drive them right out. Yes, the rotor must be on a good solid surface. The hub & rotor are held together by the studs on the K-H brakes, but with two others unmoved you should be good. Make sure the replacements match the old ones removed.

I never shop at China Freight. If I need a tool, I'm willing to buy ones that last.

If the old studs are really bad, a heavy brass drift and a big hammer should drive them right out. Yes, the rotor must be on a good solid surface. The hub & rotor are held together by the studs on the K-H brakes, but with two others unmoved you should be good. Make sure the replacements match the old ones removed.
I didnt want to shop there, but was in a pinch. Do you know anywhere that would sell a single die (a good one)? A GOOD die may have worked..the cheap one just would not start straight, like it wasnt sharp enough. Plus, i need a hex shaped die so i can turn it with a wrench because the die holder hits the center snub..

I’ve made dies out of nuts before by filing a few angled grooves in them part way through the threads. It may clean the threads up well enough to make them work.

Last edited:
I tried to drive my studies out when replacing rotors but didn't have any luck so I took them to a machine shop to have the old studs pressed out and new ones pressed on with the new rotors. I think he charged $32 for all.

You'll need to pull the dust cap off, then the cotter pin. Remove nut, and washer. You'll see the outer wheel bearing come loose. Slide the rotor off.

Best to use the Field Service Manual to put it all back. Make sure all bearings are good, it's a good time to replace them if you see any scarring or scorching. Keep dirt out of it and repack the outer bearing with grease. Then put it all together. Can't remember exactly, but the FSM says to tighten the spindle nut while turning the wheel to 7 ft lbs (?). After a while you get the feel to tighten enough but not too much. FSM also says to just coat the inside of the dust cover with grease, not to fill it.

IMG_20190223_175241765.jpg

Agreed. Studs should always be pressed in. NEVER pulled in with washers and lug nuts. You can stretch the stud that way. This will greatly weaken the stud and /or cause it to break when reinstalling wheels or fail when driving down the road.

-
Back