Replies to classified ads disappearing/deleted?

-

desmo900

Reaction score
I posted in the the classifieds a couple of days ago:
[FOR SALE] - FREE Leftover parts from 1967 Dart Build

I had a few replies and then they disappeared. I thought maybe I was going crazy but I still have the notification email. Has anyone else had this issue? I we now able to delete our own posts? Sorry if this has been discussed. I poked around this forum before posting.

I posted in the the classifieds a couple of days ago:
[FOR SALE] - FREE Leftover parts from 1967 Dart Build

I had a few replies and then they disappeared. I thought maybe I was going crazy but I still have the notification email. Has anyone else had this issue? I we now able to delete our own posts? Sorry if this has been discussed. I poked around this forum before posting.
The conversations about the hood for sale were deleted. Please read the For Sale rules. You need a price for items for sale. You don't need a price if you are giving it all away. tmm Moderator)

He asked for a price. I did not recall giving him one. If I remember correctly as said that I would drag it out and take pics. Feels a bit heavy handed but that is your prerogative.

Perhaps there is a way to put some placeholder in there showing that things were deleted? Other forums leave the reply box but replace the offending text with a canned blurb that the deletion was for violating rules.

Frankly, it's disturbing that you guys can delete things without any record that there was even a posting.

The old software was different as far as leaving notifications. Another mod deleted the sale part of your giveaway thread. He was just doing his job. The easiest thing to do is start a sale thread for the hood and have private conversations with buyers about it. tmm

Fair enough.

Love the site, been a Gold Member for years but it is not in the best interest of transparency for the mods (or even Joey for that matter) to be able to delete postings without a trail or public accountability.

Not the end of the world with this particular posting but what is in place to stop mods from deleting posts they do not agree with or to use that power against people they have a beef with. Not suggesting that you are not a stand up guy but to me this is a serious issue that has to be addressed.

I think the option is there so we can do what we need to do to keep the site running smooth without problems from the members. We have to use our judgement and follow the rules to do what we do. Sometimes it's not popular with the members and we hear about it and that's the hardest part of our jobs here. tmm

to be able to delete postings without a trail .

Not the end of the world with this particular posting but what is in place to stop mods from deleting posts they do not agree with or to use that power against people they have a beef with.

There is a trail, the posts are still there, just not visible to the members.

Imagine how cluttered the forums would look if there was a post there with the content deleted. If any of us deleted something that we didn't agree with or we had a beef with someone, the poster could have it looked into by the site admin, chances are, we wouldn't be helping much longer.

Disagree completely. So Instead of cluttering up the offending thread I start a new one because I have no idea what happened. If you are not going to leave the deleted box there needs to be at the minimum notification to the OP. My original post was modified and two replies deleted with out any notification. I did not even realize my original post was modified until TMM informed me via his thread.

Funny thing, the guy who's reply was deleted is a "Staff Member".

He was just telling you to please post a price for the hood.

Roger. When he asked for better pics I thought he was interested in it. My bad for posting it in the first place I was really hoping to use it as a carrot to get someone to haul everything away in one lot. I should have said as much.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but just to support the mods. I have never put anything in the for sale ads, but I have read the rules. Pretty simple, follow the rules, no problem. We have a bunch of great mods here, and they do a super job. Just my opinion.

I have recieved 12 emails notiying me everytime someone has posted to this thread. Can Joey configure the software to send notiffications when a mod changes our post and deletes replies? That is probably as (if not more) important.

I have recieved 12 emails notiying me everytime someone has posted to this thread. Can Joey configure the software to send notiffications when a mod changes our post and deletes replies? That is probably as (if not more) important.
I see you have received 6 messages about this thread and one about your give away thread. You can go in your personal settings and shut off the e mail notifications if you choose. tmm

I fat fingered my phone with the number. No problem with notifications they just should include deletions and modifications by mods.

I think the option is there so we can do what we need to do to keep the site running smooth without problems from the members. We have to use our judgement and follow the rules to do what we do. Sometimes it's not popular with the members and we hear about it and that's the hardest part of our jobs here. tmm
I had my ad simply deleated.
A heads up would have been a nice thing instead of a hard deleate.
Yea yea yea, I know the rules. I guess that's why I get the hammer instead of a little love and a heads up.

IMO, hard nose rule enforcement isn't always needed. Just creates bad blood.

But when it's not done, you hear it from above.

Thanks to mod that deleate my post without warning or a heads up forcing me to do it again. Instead of a simple post edit. Way to go!

I had my ad simply deleated.
A heads up would have been a nice thing instead of a hard deleate.
Yea yea yea, I know the rules. I guess that's why I get the hammer instead of a little love and a heads up.

IMO, hard nose rule enforcement isn't always needed. Just creates bad blood.

But when it's not done, you hear it from above.

Thanks to mod that deleate my post without warning or a heads up forcing me to do it again. Instead of a simple post edit. Way to go!

I've been trying to resolve problems instead of just deleting threads and posts. Giving the member a chance with an explanation is a better way I think. I was pretty hard nosed when I started but I have mellowed a bit. If we do something you question, send us a personal message so we can talk about it.

"Heavy handed"? "Disturbing"?

All this over an internet forum. Pretty simple.Just follow the rules.

I hate to think what happens in your household when something really goes wrong. Do yall hide under the table?

Although I am not the one who deleted the ad, or deleted the comments in the OPs as, I usually notify the OP of a thread with both a post in the thread requesting clarification about the listing, and a PM requesting the same thing! It may be more typing on my part, but I try to give them opprotunity to edit as needed without deleting the thread because of an oversight, but more also to offer a personal side to the process! Even tho the Mods have a job to do, we are all still members, and are here for the same reasons as anyone else!

From now on I will make it a point to use the "alert member" function when deleting a comment in an ad, to explain why the comment was deleted! Not sure if it goes to the poster or the OP of the thread, but I'll do it either way!!

-
Back