Resistor VS non Resistor spark plugs

-
Reaction score
I didn't want to hyjack the 'what spark plug' thread, so I started another.

We had a member make a statement saying all 318's like and run better with N11CY plugs at .036 gap...

Then another member parroted and recommended the same in the above fore mentioned thread.

then when I asked him about it, well just read and give opinions.
Hopefully there are more knowledgeable on this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjax
Champion N11YC gapped at .036 you wont ever use another plug hard to find at the auto part store but well worth the 1 day wait to get them i got this tip from another poster decided to give them a try big change in throttle respose on my 318.......im sold!

'now me..
so, do you have a radio in your car?

it's a non resistor plug that is one step colder than a stock plug.
resistor in the plug eliminates radio noise that is transmitted to the electrical system every time it fires.

so you must of had to hot of a plug or the wrong gap. I'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjax
who cares about the radio when we have cds? i cant hear the dayum thing anyhow when the motors throating out, why would you want to use a resistor plug when a non resistor plug will transfer more thermal energy and therefore accelerates the flame front propagation (means a shorter spark) so that means the fuel is used more efficiently and engine performance increases. resistance = to resist electrical current. yeah one step colder but thats not what creates the performance a faster spark means faster combustion and thats what a non resistor plug does a resistor plug is a longer spark which is a waste of energy

'my response'...
The noise [RFI] travels through the current throughout the car, cd's don't change a thing. gawd damn man...

the only time a resistor plug will decrease voltage/energy..is in old early crap ignition systems like points and other stone age systems, even some electronic.
They make resistor plug especially for [MSD/MALLORY/AND OTHER CD IGNITION SYSTEMS] SO....With CDI the resistor actually enhances the spark available to fire the fuel air mix. This is because the discharge time from a Capacitor Discharge Ignition is so brief. The resistor helps to stall the rise time in the spark coil and to lengthen the duration of it's discharge.

'I then got no response from the poster, but went ahead and asked some questions..'

what ignition system do you have?
and when duder told you to run those cause ''every 318 runs better with them''', did he happen to tell you what ignition was used?
and have you EVER tried a hotter plug?
what does a multi discharge ignition do?
would you say the spark duration is longer even after the multi spark is through?
so u are saying a shorter duration spark is better than a longer duration spark?

well?

I think there are a lot of people who don't understand nor care to, why something works, if it does..or doesn't.
these people only care about results, which leaves a lot of ??????for the rest of us.

Your thoughts?

I have always thought if you have a radio you need to run resistor plugs and if no radio then running non resistor plugs would be better.

So a car that sees no track time needs resistor plugs another words.

I have always thought if you have a radio you need to run resistor plugs and if no radio then running non resistor plugs would be better.

So a car that sees no track time needs resistor plugs another words.

Thats has validity.

resistor reduce rfi, not energy...

but the poster has no clue, can tell by his response.

he didn't even know that the rfi flows thought the whole system.

now he's asking someone else and parroting.

The people who design the plug and modern ignition systems even tell you that they do not reduce energy at any reasonable amount.

5000ohm resistance does not hurt performance.

I run a E curve dist and a 7al box and always use NON resistor plugs. Have no problems either, well on AM the radio has some noise but who listens to AM radio, lol.

How I see it is the higher the voltage has to be to fire the plug, the easier crossfire can happen. Higher voltage can jump/travel easier. Why those high voltage power lines are up so high from the ground. Also when voltage goes up, current goes down. Ohms law, so the lower the voltage, the more current discharges..means a hotter spark.

I run a E curve dist and a 7al box and always use NON resistor plugs. Have no problems either, well on AM the radio has some noise but who listens to AM radio, lol.

How I see it is the higher the voltage have to be to fire the plug, the easier crossfire can happen. When voltage goes up, current goes down. Ohms law, so the lower the voltage, the more current discharges..means a hotter spark.

no noticable loss according to those who design these, thats according to NGK.

others who don't design these, say it's a lil more current.
others counter this with, just get a hotter coil.
then others laugh and say..ha ha you screwed you cdi up by using a run of the mill non resistor plug when you should have used a cdi compatible non resistor plug.

One of my main points here is..if you need a non resistor plug to make a diff, then something else is wrong and ya outta sharpen your tuning skills.

btw,they make non resistor plugs specifically for cdi ignitions.

Yep, ngk and others don't make non res. racing plugs for no reason. Old Smokey used to believe in running no more than a .045 spark plug gap. His thinking was higher gaps in his test made no more power and best to keep the voltage lower.

Smokey also believe in high current sparks but said places like msd won't make a box with very high current since it could be deadly if a person got poke by touching a plug wire while the motor is running--like turning the dist by grasping the top of the dist. I'm guilty of doing that but try to wear a glove while doing it.

btw, I run .035 plug gaps. Am I losing out on 5hp, maybe. Does my motor run nice and smooth with no mis/crossfire, yep--even in the pouring rain.

Yep, ngk and others don't make non res. racing plugs for no reason. Old Smokey used to believe in running no more than a .045 spark plug gap. His thinking was higher gaps in his test made no more power and best to keep the voltage lower.

Smokey also believe in high current sparks but said places like msd won't make a box with very high current since it could be deadly if a person got poke by touching a plug wire while the motor is running--like turning the dist by grasping the top of the dist. I'm guilty of doing that but try to wear a glove while doing it.

btw, I run .035 plug gaps. Am I losing out on 5hp, maybe. Does my motor run nice and smooth with no mis/crossfire, yep--even in the pouring rain.

yeah, as you increase the gap it effect coil saturation time.

FWIW
non-resistor plugs produce more RFi noise which can affect the trigger signal to the MSD box.

Another reason why I don't use them.

someone show me a dyno test where these magic plugs make more power, power that you can actually feel and see in et's.

Spark plugs aint the only source of radio noise, alternators, bad grounds etc etc, Ive heard literally thousands of em (assembly line) even the neighbors lawn mower.

yes noise can come from all kind of things, but I don't have that problem.

hey..use whatever ya want....I don't give a ......

in the case of the poster recommending them, he did it without even concerning the op's setup. dumb

yes noise can come from all kind of things, but I don't have that problem.

hey..use whatever ya want....I don't give a ......

in the case of the poster recommending them, he did it without even concerning the op's setup. dumb

lol come on now dude stop trying to make me out as a dumb azz not knowing what they had like i told you on the other post not many here are talking computer or EFI systems that would be effected by a non resistor plug and most of them have a resistor cap anyhow. You asked and i told you why a non resistor plug has a shorter faster spark then a resistor plug does and that does make a difference in burning fuel more efficiently which increases performance while a resistor plug wastes energy its all about the resistance at the end of the spark plug....... OHMS law been trying to teach you this but you keep heading back to coils and crap lets have you go out and measure current from one side of a resistor to the other then come back tell me what current drop you have? if its less current then the resistor is limiting the amount going through it those causing it to slow down the flow of current so now tell me what a ignition box would do to speed this up? nothing!

here ya go from a spark plug maker Nology dealing in performance hope this settles it now go learn OHMs law lol

Question:
So non-resistor spark plugs are better for performance?

Answer:
Yes. If you are looking for performance you want to use non-resistor spark plugs. A resistor is exactly what the word implies. When the spark crosses the point of resistance some of the spark energy is lost. A resistor is like an electronic obstacle and could be the cause for a weak spark. Non-resistor spark plugs deliver a more powerful spark.

next you'll be reading 'litter'ature from split fire. you're so lost.

You should go buy the tornado fuel saver.LOL@U

you will now be held back a grade.

next you'll be reading 'litter'ature from split fire. you're so lost.

You should go buy the tornado fuel saver.LOL@U

you will now be held back a grade.

This coming from a person who reads the crap off a NKG website lol I think the laugh is on you brother go learn about a electrical circuit before mouthing off as if you know it all you only make yourself look childish with these pea brained answers to make you believe that your right.. Why do you think they even use low resistance plug cables? lemme guess your gonna say they dont help performance either right?

Do you even know how many Amps are lost with 5000 ohms resistance in a circuit using 30k volts?
Do you even know what a resistor is?
do you know what amperage is?
do you know what voltage is?
do you know what a electrical current is?
Come on answer the question and you will get the answer to why a non resistor provides better performance its pretty simple and factual

look google tech.....You are bullshitting yerself.

I bet you changed out plugs that were smoked.
you can't be serious
30k is points style voltage, you are trying to play this from a half cocked angle.

you answer none of my questions and go on about a 6- 9 loss and defy logic with your bs about making fuel more combustible with a non resistor plug.

Not even the manufacture of the ignition you are using can steer you otherwise.
You are the one that can't be wrong, I'm wrong here and there like everybody else.
YOU SEE MY SIG?, YOU TOOK THE BAIT, CAUSE YOU ARE A BAIT AND A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE OF WHAT MY SIG IMPLYS.

use all the gimmicks your heart desires, I'm done with your stupidity.
as another said....STICK THE DAMN PLUG WIRE INTO THE CYLINDERS FOR ALL I CARE....HELL JUST ARCH OFF THE DAMN PISTON TOO.
I WAS TRYING TO HELP YOU, BUT YOU ARE UN HELPABLE.

Just a bit of trivia....VW Beetles...early ones...from like 62 to 67 ( 6V ) and the 68 to 72 ( 12V ).....the leads were all rubber coated copper wire.....but if it had black s/plug connectors ( 0 ohms ), it had a 4.5Kohm resistor rotor button...........but if they had brown s/plug connectors ( 5kohm ) and a 0 resistance rotor button.
Now these days, the leads have 7kohm per foot of lead....as well as resistor plugs......but the voltages from the coils are a lot higher now.
The higher the compression ratio, the more voltage needed to jump the gap.
I built an engine, mild one, had 175hp at the wheels....then guy says he got an MSD6-AL cheap for it, so I fitted it...he redynoed it.....no other changes....200rwhp!!!.....the engine had 10:1 CR.
Having a decent spark really helps.
I found similar results for my car....std cam, 8.8:1 CR.....fitted an ICE 7amp system....made the torque curve almost dead flat from 55kmh to 170kmh....5sp manual...run done in 4th.
My 2 cents.

he we go again......
cjh,
we already know that when you start out with the equivlent of static electricity for an ignition system that going to modern cdi will make more power.
after a point, more is not always better, unless we talking hot chicks that put out.he he

after that....it's on the ability of mixing/octane/compression/chamber shape for instance that determines how explosive it is and burn rate.

now take that same 'jokeswagon' w/msd and toss non resistor plugs and dyno it.

If it was all about obtaining an infinite amount of spark energy to make hp, then I guess jimmy johnston '5 time nascar champ' would be using them to huh?

how many champions and top notch engine builders chase power though spark plugs to make the diff between a win and a loss.....

I have a friend that lives in the hub of nascar who has talked to crew chiefs, he works for jeg coughlin from time to time and he says resistor spark plug are whats used in most. In fact he brought up the point of how the most winningest driver/teams out there use resistor plugs.

THINK THEY KNOW SOMETHING??LOL

-
Back