Resurfaced lifters

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
I've read people suggesting to have lifters resurfaced, but has anyone here used them?
I hear people say it's fine, but I had a guy recently tell me the only time he had a lifter fail, it was a resurfaced set.

I've read people suggesting to have lifters resurfaced, but has anyone here used them?
I hear people say it's fine, but I had a guy recently tell me the only time he had a lifter fail, it was a resurfaced set.
I'm already done a couple few times and had no problems... Ever stopped to think that the situation could have been a coincidence?
I don't believe they change anything about the lifter except for giving it a fresh new machine surface,.

I’ve never had that service performed, but thinking about what that guy told you, it didn’t fail all that time in use up until it being resurfaced? Then it failed after being resurfaced? That tells me it most likely wasn’t resurfaced right, followed by possibly not being thoroughly cleaned, lubed, bad cam break-in

Too many factors and not enough info to make a proper determination of failure.

what cam was used, used? Bad lobe?
was all the proper break in procedures used
what oil
what prelude paste?
was all the debris from the last failure cleaned out?

If the lifter resurface job was bad then why didn’t all 16 fail?

Hell anytime I've taken a lifter out there was not much left to resurface. The engine is worn out and full of metal anyway. Why spend all that money and reuse a lifter?

Last edited:
Hell anytime I've taken a lifter out there was not much left to resurface. The engine is worn out and full of metal anyway. Why spend all that move and reuse a lifter?
In my case I was like I want this massively radical cam and that's what they ground for me LOL and then four or five hundred miles later when I said this damn Cam's too damn radical! LOL they re ground it a little less radical and touched up the lifters for me...

We have been using re-faced lifters for DECADES in this country because of the high cost of new ones. There will be zero failures if they are done correctly. At one time when I was actively drag racing, changing/testing new cams, I had the same FT lifters refaced 2 or 3 times.

Send them to Schneider Racing Cams. The guy they use does a top notch job.

Some of us in the US have been using resurfaced lifters for decades. It’s not new.

Ive seen more done incorrectly than correctly.

If they don’t have a radius they were done incorrectly. They will look like they have a point in the center.

Most of the time that will kill a cam.

We have been using re-faced lifters for DECADES in this country because of the high cost of new ones. There will be zero failures if they are done correctly. At one time when I was actively drag racing, changing/testing new cams, I had the same FT lifters refaced 2 or 3 times.
Who's still doing them where you are?

What does it cost to reface lifters? I got a 20+ year old set sitting doing nothing.

I have a set of Mopar solids and Comp hydraulics...both new. This would provide a measure of comfort for break in...

Just about every Lycoming aircraft engine rebuilt in decades is running reconditioned lifters..

Bakerlite. Yep. I had lifters re-faced once by CamTech & they a 'point' in the centre, so I have been using Clive ever since, never had a problem & he gets a superb finish on the lifter.

Kern,
Unless the lifters are 25 yrs or older, I wouldn't trust them in a lawn mower....

Berry cams does it here in MN. He wanted my old lifters if they had little use. I had him resurface 3 sets that were low mileage. They were all older lifters, so I'm confident the metal is good. I'm going to try a set on a solid cam. The guy I know that had a failure, it was a brand new comp cam, and an old set of resurfaced solid lifters in a boss 429. He's a very competent engine builder. Could have been coincidence.

Another one for a Comp cam, Interesting.

I wouldn’t use one in Chrysler engine if they paid me

Bakerlite. Yep. I had lifters re-faced once by CamTech & they a 'point' in the centre, so I have been using Clive ever since, never had a problem & he gets a superb finish on the lifter.
There were a mob in Port Macquarie doing them, can't for the life of me remember the name, but Sure Cam knows who they are.

Novice question here. Dealing mostly with firearms….what about heat treating for hardness and using a process like black nitride or DLC for hardness and decreased wear? Black nitrided barrel
Bores have proven well for high volume high velocity projectiles.

-
Back