Retro Fit Factory A/C into Original non-A/C 1968 Barracuda Convertible

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
I am researching engines again while the body and paint work move along. Anyone have input and experience of what I'll need to source/do to accommodate a factory A/C set-up from a Slant 6 with A/C for my car orignal car that did not have A/C?

I'm still weighing the Slant 6 option, but may have a beat on a rebuilt one with PS & A/C for $2500 and a automatic 904 trany included. After looking into the rebuild of mine into a performance config (Snipper + Suprchg) at $12-15K, I'm considering that option against a rebuilt 318 from Engine Factory at around the same price point and appointments. Either going that route, or considering the $2500 available Slant 6 as a pathway for several years, then upgrade suspension and engine somewhere down-the-road if/when the cost over everything in the brave new world comes back to reality.

As always, wisdom, constructive thoughts and suggestions appreciated !

Last edited:
You might want to look into the dealer installed A/C systems. They were made to work with the non-A/C firewalls. The components show up for sale here on FABO and on Ebay and at swap meets. Consider placing a wanted to buy ad on FABO and the other FxBO sites.

I hope you realize that the location of the heater motor changes on a factory AC car.
I did not, which is the exact reason I'm inquiring, as this is the first project car I've taken on and know no nuances. So to your knowledge, is that some remounting/bracket work and/or is it more involved? Would an aftermarket A/C be a better route?

You might want to look into the dealer installed A/C systems. They were made to work with the non-A/C firewalls. The components show up for sale here on FABO and on Ebay and at swap meets. Consider placing a wanted to buy ad on FABO and the other FxBO sites.
So if I did buy this rebuilt /6 with the factory A/C on it do you know if that factory bracketry and belt work, or is there more to it?

So if I did buy this rebuilt /6 with the factory A/C on it do you know if that factory bracketry and belt work, or is there more to it?
There's more to it, but depending on the year of the engine and A/C components, it could be a good start. You want to get brackets and pulleys as a matched set to ensure everything lines up, and that sounds like what is on the engine.

The compressor, clutch, brackets and pulleys are of course only part of what you'll need. You'll still need the condenser, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, evaporator and box, and controls. Do you care if it looks factory, or are you just looking to take advantage of something that's available to you now? There are companies that offer kits made to fit A/C systems in these older cars. You might be able to buy the rest of what you need from one of those companies. If you want it to look like a factory installed system, you'll need to swap out the firewall, as they were different depending on if the car was equipped with A/C or not. As noted by mcodecuda above, the fan motor is in a different location on factory A/C cars, which is why there is a different firewall. That's why you may want to consider an aftermarket kit or a dealer installed kit for the parts you still need.

Here's a little info on the dealer installed systems.

68_Accessories_Catalog0007.jpg

I did this swap. I put factory air salvaged from a 71 dart in my 69 Barracuda. It was a LOT of work, but turned out nice. Both the donor car and mine were V8. This was a built in unit, not a knee knocker. A knee knocker would have been a lot easier.

I used the whole original set up, under dash box, hoses, brackets and all. The more complete set up you get, the better.

The firewall is different, so you will need some new mounting holes and will need to cut the fan hole out bigger.

You will need a new dash bezel to accommodate the ac push buttons, or modify the one you have.

You will need an ac under dash unit and controls.

if you get the ac brackets & pulleys for the motor, you will be way ahead.

I bought a new dryer, expansion valve, & condenser off eBay.

If you want more info, pm me.

Go to AMD's web site and look at the difference between AC and non-AC firewalls - they are substantially different.

I think I still have a template that I made to convert a non ac firewall to an ac firewall if you need it.

I had "hang on" (knee knocker) aftermarket AC in my 70 RR and actually liked it better than OEM in some ways. It is WAY easier to deal with if you have to work on some items

I am researching engines again while the body and paint work move along. Anyone have input and experience of what I'll need to source/do to accommodate a factory A/C set-up from a Slant 6 with A/C for my car orignal car that did not have A/C?
I did it once on an A-body, with a same-year/same-motor parts car providing every single needed part, and (sometimes I'm a little slow to learn) I did it again on a Dodge pickup, that time with the factory's own kit for installing dаmn-near-original A/C in a truck not built with it—so there again, all needed parts right there in the box.

In both cases, it was a much bigger, more difficult, more expensive job than it seemed like it would be, and the results were underwhelming. Even though I had all the parts ready to go. Even though I had hyper-detailed knowledge of just about every aspect of all the parts and systems in question, and did everything as rightly as could be.

Twice was enough to finally get the lesson through my greasy skull; I do not recommend trying to retrofit factory A/C.

If you go ahead with an A/C install of any kind, be advised making an effective job of it means more than taking parts out a box or off a car and bolting them in/on. See here and here (the successful job I describe there was the install of a '64 aftermarket under-dash aircon in my '62 Lancer).

Your car and your choice, of course, but I mean…it's a convertible, eh!

-
Back