Reverse Manual Valve Body

-

HardVG

Reaction score
I have a CRT reverse pattern valve body laying around and a low horsepower car with a relatively stock 727, was rebuilt with performance frictions and a bolt in sprag, but that's about it. Just wondering what sort of 1/4 mile improvement I might see with a valve body change? Currently running 14.1 over the 1/4, has 4.10 gears and is not street driven.

Probably will not see any change. It might get a couple of thousands, but you won't be able to tell if it is the valve body or the weather. However it will make the trans more reliable, and allow you to shift it at possibly a better RPM. That is where the improvement will come from.

One of the problems I have at the moment is that if I'm not careful I can overshoot 2nd and go straight from 1st to 3rd, reverse pattern should solve that with the factory shifter as it has a detent to go from 2nd to 1st, which will become the 2nd to 3rd shift.

If you are using the factory shifter they are not ideal for manually shifting. If going with an aftermarket manual shift valve body buy an aftermarket shifter if you do not have one already. You will not miss any gears.

One of the problems I have at the moment is that if I'm not careful I can overshoot 2nd and go straight from 1st to 3rd, reverse pattern should solve that with the factory shifter as it has a detent to go from 2nd to 1st, which will become the 2nd to 3rd shift.

A good Cheetah will fix that whether forward or reverse. I've used both bodies. The cheetah will work f/ r with the same gate, but you can get (and I did get) a reverse gate for it

Mopar-Gates-8-31-11.gif

I've used a cheetah reverse with a stock floor console shifter for almost 40 years. It's well broken in lol. Advantage over stock is holding your shift point to say 6-7000 and getting an immediate shift to the next gear with out as much loss in RPM. Depending on how soft/loose the old tranny shifted could be a real gain in the 1/4 mi.

If you are using the factory shifter they are not ideal for manually shifting. If going with an aftermarket manual shift valve body buy an aftermarket shifter if you do not have one already. You will not miss any gears.
The factory floor shifter is perfect for reverse manual drag racing. Used one for decades, on and off strip, and know of many others.

The factory floor shifter is perfect for reverse manual drag racing. Used one for decades, on and off strip, and know of many others.
The factory column shifter also works well with a RMVB .

Oh the joys of laying on your back under the car with transmission fluid dripping on your face. At least it's done now, CRT reverse manual valve body, billet low/reverse servo and home made blocker rod in the accumulator. This better be worth at least a tenth or two, assuming it doesn't blow up on the first pass. Instructions were missing so hopefully I haven't missed anything on the install.

20180225215137-27ebd0f7-me.jpg

What ratio lever do u have on the front servo. 5.0 is absolutely recommended. Sure u can make do with other ratios till u smoke the front band. Kim

Instructions I found on the web say not to use the 5.0 lever with this valve body.

-
Back