Reversing arms on 2 post lift and backing in versus pulling into garage

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
I am sure my lift will not care if I swap the arms around but will verify it with my lift company but does anyone have their lift setup like this? It would be a huge game changer in my shop. Backing or pulling in makes no difference to me....

JW

I see no reason why not. I have an old Challenger and have done this as "it turns out" it's a bit too close to the house for a full size 8' box

Depends on the hoist. Asymmetrical hoists are designed to lift one way. Good luck.

I have put vehicals on backwards many times. But it still bugs me to do it that way as I guess I was too used to driving in. Kim

Depends on your lift. With mine you can't do that unless you have a substantial amount of weight removed out of the front of the car.....

JW

Depends on the hoist. Asymmetrical hoists are designed to lift one way. Good luck.

That would be mine. I can swap the arms around and do it..... I have always been overly cautious with car lifts and with the recent tragedy at a local shop from a car lift it raised the bar for me even more. They are nice to have but if something goes wrong options run out quick....

JW

That is the reason i have a 4 post.
If the frame of the hoist is symmetrical then there is no problem. Some have mounting pads that are larger towards the front for support.

As you can see in the photo, when pulling the engine/trans I back on the lift.Much like when its on forward, I reverse the length of the arms. Extending the forward (short)arms as far as they go. The rear arms (long) as short as they go. Usually put weight in the trunk like spare wheels and tires. Then only lift it around 2-3 feet.I will even go as far as strapping the car to the forward arms with ratchet straps.The lift is rated at 9000 lbs.
IMG_1735.jpg

As you can see in the photo, when pulling the engine/trans I back on the lift.Much like when its on forward, I reverse the length of the arms. Extending the forward (short)arms as far as they go. The rear arms (long) as short as they go. Usually put weight in the trunk like spare wheels and tires. Then only lift it around 2-3 feet.I will even go as far as strapping the car to the forward arms with ratchet straps.The lift is rated at 9000 lbs.View attachment 1715297126

Is yours a Asymetrical lift? Looks like a step above mine.... Nice

JW

Yes, Asymetrical.After pulling the engine/trans I have no fear to lift the car completely.

Yes, Asymetrical.After pulling the engine/trans I have no fear to lift the car completely.

Same as me lol.... Seriously, it's good you take caution. I also have stands to support the car. When the tires come off the ground I shake it good also....

JW

It's just a balancing act as they say. Plus a 9000 lbs lift. I bought it to lift my Dual wheel Diesel 4 door Dodge.Yeah, I put stands under the truck by the trailer hitch when I lift it to the top.Little extra safe before working under it.For sure I don't put the truck on backwards just cars when pulling the drive train. The Dart gutted was maybe 2000 lbs.

-
Back