rewiring engine bay, question on diagram

-

phaelax

Reaction score
I've mentioned in another post before why I was doing this; bad wires, broken wires, wires that lead to nowhere, bad routing of wires. And some cooked wires. Alternator is shot.

I've been studying old wiring diagrams for the car, and making my own diagram of the existing wires as I pull them out and inspect them one by one. It's amazing how many times a wire can change colors underneath the electrical tape, no wonder why I had problems.

Anyway, I have a free connector with two wires leading to the bulkhead harness. Here's the diagram: http://i.imgur.com/RwiCFgE.jpg

One wire appears to go to the windshield washer motor, plug 'D' (even though the wire color doesn't match). This makes sense since that is no longer in the car. But plug 'A' shows no wire attached in the diagram, much less for shared connector for these two wires. Could I just have had a different washer motor than what was shown in this diagram? It does say a '73 Valiant and I have a '73 Duster. I assumed (please don't beat me for that!) they would be identical.

There are differences over the years and between 2 speed /variable speed / 3 speed.

My "standard answer" is consult the factory shop manuals, and the Passion site

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

. Sometimes you need to consult the correct year of factory manual, and ahead and behind. You can download the 72 and 73 manuals WHICH CAME FROM guys on FABO over at MyMopar I have a 74 and 76 paper manual, but not electronic. So far as I've found, the 73 is the latest you can find "free."

The diagram you posted is NOT of Mopar origin. It is a "3rd party" diagram. Some of those are indeed easier to follow, sometimes, but they also often leave connectors out, as well as some options

What we REALLY need to ID what you are doing is a clear PHOTO of your actual connector, the shape of it and no. of conductors, and their color

In that drawing washer pump supply was changed from brown to blue. Why ? beats me.
It was brown in 73 Valiant that had electric wash. Since the ports in the far right bulkhead connector were the only open available ports, there may have been more options available than the bulkhead could hold. Thus a build without electric wash and with some other option, ( a speed sensor placed inline of the speedometer cable for example ) could very well have had a different wire color in that port. Of course the difference would carry over into the dash harness as well.

-
Back