Riding lawn mowers

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
They don't last like they use to.I might try to pay more and buy one from a dealer.People say they are made better.Ive had Sears,Husky, and Husqvarna.....I always keep em greased and clean seamed like they wear out faster!

Bobcat just come out with some that look nice. They make good construction equipment, would expect their lawn equipment to be just as good

I had to weld a bracket this morning after mowing my neighbors orchard yesterday.
The height adjuster just tore off.
I cleaned it up and mig welded it back on, works great again.
Oh by the way it's a "John Deere"

Last edited:
Spend the few extra bucks and get a fabbed deck imo. Not those stamped ones

I put a car bucket seat on mine, when the original pressed steel one broke.

The John Deere mowers really were made better a long time ago. The frames and decks were thicker metal and they lasted a long time. Unfortunately, they've had to outsource like everybody else to remain competitive. I have a friend who has a fairly new one and it's a big POS. Plastic parts everywhere. The whole hood's plastic. My 2008 Troy Bilt is built better and still runs like a champ. I was lucky, though. We had a church member that worked at Lowes at the time and helped me make the right decision. For just a little more, I got the Kohler motor instead of the Briggs. I'm really glad I did too. It's been a goodun. The fact is, you can tear up anything if you mistreat it, just like you can make something last if you take care of it.

Kubota makes a good mower. All the typical riding lawn mowers are made by a couple mfr’s now. My husqvarna is a perfect example, neighbour has a similar size deere. There are lots of similarities. All the blades are junk as well as spindles.

Mines a Bolens ST180 . Can't kill it.
Here is is a reference picture..
Bolens.jpeg

My dad has been running used Kabota mowers for a while and has had zero with any of them.
I've put 60,000 hrs on a twin cyl Kabota diesel when it finally went.It smoked like a freight train and idled up and down oil was everywhere!!!I have another one now .....everything hooked to it is junk.The engine is good.2nd is the old one

20190204_144928.jpg
20190204_092659.jpg

Have a 2006 Craftsman LT1000, this is an AYP/Husqvarna mower with a gear drive transmission. Not really much that can go wrong with it. A friend of mine has an LTX1000 with a twin cyl and hydro that is a similar age. They're pretty good. Other than blowing up the engine, they work good.

Of course we only clean them once a year other than blowing the grass off of the deck with a leaf blower.

My old John Deere has a compression release for startups. Generator is the starter. You cant not start it. You bump the ignition, its gonna fire.

all the ones sold at home depot or lowes are just cheap imitations of the real thing..

in 06 when i was looking i looked at the deeres at depot i think it was. i also looked at the local deere dealer.. i ended up with a GX255 and a 54" deck. the home depot ones were cheap junk built to compete with cheap junk. my gx255 has over 500 hours on it and that Kawasaki engine still runs flawless. i beat the hell out of this thing and it just keeps going. my son just bought a house and it will be going to him once he gets his things all situated after the move. i bought a zero turn Husqvarna from a dealer. same thing, built light years better then a box store unit. they cost more but are totally worth it.

I bought a new cub cadet last year. Went to a dealer cause i didnt want the lowes home depot one. Got a fabbed deck and the kawasaki engine is dam good

I know a guy from drag racing g that has a repair shop.ill see what he has.I know it's gonna cost more but im tired if bad front ends and transmissions and stuff

I watched a how it’s made with lawn tractors. They had damn near every brand in the one factory. Colors only in the episode. No emblems, but cub cadet, troy built, craftsman, deere and husqvarna were all seen

6-7 years ago I bought a Toro MX5060 from a Toro dealer. Zero turn 50" mower with a 23 hp Kawasaki engine with fabricated and welded deck. Very good machine, no regrets on this one. It replaced an 18 hp 48" MTD rider like most of the ones previously mentioned from the big box stores. No comparision between the two, like night and day difference.

BTW, I love the Kawasaki engine. Strong, easy to service, doesn't use a drop of oil with 500 hours of use on it.

Been cutting grass with my 1972 Wheel Horse Raider 8 since 1980.
I have had to weld up cracks in the mower deck a few times and change out spindle bearings more than once.
Also rebuilt the Kohler K1 the winter before last. But this Wheel Horse will be in service cutting grass long after I am pushing up daisies from under the grass.

My BIL agave me this almost commercial quality Husqvarna 54” mower about 10 years ago. He got it from a client when they gave up trying to mow their apartment complex lawn on their own after just one season. It works great, but I expect that like our old vehicles, I will have to repair it on my own to keep it running. I made these two videos to help others to keep their stuff going.

I have a Hustler Raptor Limited that I picked up new 5 or 6 years ago. Been mostly trouble free in that time except for 1 deck spindle that went bad.

MTD or AYP make almost all consumer level mowers regardless of brand name.

I'll second the 2004-ish Craftsman with the 17 HP Kohler pressurized oiling single.

Mine is borderline abused, not to mention neglected.

Really nothing but the types of repairs you'd expect on an aging mower that's now approaching 20 years.

Briggs was getting better at that point but the Kohlers were the way to go.

I just got gifted a Snapper 20" self propelled and it seems like good quality.

Briggs
No prime start (I think it's got pressure release triggered by the dead man handle)
1 point height adjust
Rear drive
Speed control
Hose connection on deck

I agree with @abodyjoe above. I bought my Deere at the farm implement store outside of town, twenty years ago this weekend. All I've done is regular service and replaced the original battery after ELEVEN years.

-
Back