Riding lawn mowers

-
My buddy owns a lawn tractor and zero turn place. He sells cub cadet gravely and a few others. He told me and showed me the difference between a cub cadet from the box store and his inventory. No way would i buy from them after that. And tbh its not that much more expensive to get it at the dealer than the ones at lowes etc
Ever compare Goodyear tires bought from tires"r"us with a set of the same tires bought from wallie martinez?

Same principle

2009 Toro Z-Master commercial. Oil change every year. Cost about $6500 then. One belt maintenance. I mow 2 acres. Prior to the Toro I was buying a big box store mower every 4-5 years. My 1972 Cub lasted until I bought the Toro and only sold it cause the wife wouldn’t mow with it. I’m done in an hour and it’s been worth every penny.

I have owned a Zero turn Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine. My dad still has it today. Almost zero repairs and it 12 years old. I currently own a Ferris zero turn with a Kawasaki engine. They are oranges to apples in regards to the quality however so is the price.....

But for the average person looking to maintain a yard the Cub cadet is great. I did not see a difference in the quality of cutting on my yard. I don't regret the Ferris purchase however it did me no good......

JW

I'm not the biggest Kiss fan (esp Gene Simmons ego) but they've got a lot of material "everyone" knows.

We saw them in 2019 and they seem to be very aware of making sure they show is good for the fans.
Excellent sound quality, extra large screens so those in the back could see, and reasonably entertaining "non-musical" content.

I'm not the biggest Kiss fan (esp Gene Simmons ego) but they've got a lot of material "everyone" knows.

We saw them in 2019 and they seem to be very aware of making sure they show is good for the fans.
Excellent sound quality, extra large screens so those in the back could see, and reasonably entertaining "non-musical" content.
What's this have to do with the rest of the thread?

(shameless plug)
Check out Chicago craigslist
I have a good riding mower listed there right now.
John Deere LT 166, 46" deck, 16hp vanguard twin cyl engine, maintenance taken care of, it's too big for my yard ..
I have played with small engines off and on since I was 12, now 55 still at it.
This one sat 5-6 years according to the PO, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't draw fuel from the tank, even after rigging an electric pump, I found (and replaced) a rotted off fuel pickup tube in the tank, and put a new original style vacuum pulse pump back on it, put some much better new-used tires on it, brand new blades and battery and hood (they're all cracked badly on these)..... I've seen a few of these listed for a lot more on CL recently but would like to have the space it's taking up, back. Still about 2 months, possibly a little more, left of mowing season left around here
I use a 32" commercial bobcat walk behind on my yard.
It's crazy the people who buy a 54" mower for a postage stamp yard and barely have the room to turn the thing around in the yard or get between obstacles
It takes me longer to mow with a big machine with my yard's layout, than to mow with a 21" push mower.

So are you guys saying that If I buy a John Deere mower at a John Deere dealer, it will be better than the John Deere I buy at Home Depot? Because I bought a JD at Home Depot about 7 years ago, and after only 5 years the motor detonated.
The Samsung QN 55 inch TV you buy at a TV and electronics store is not the same as the UN 55 model at Walmart. Both Samsung 55 inch TV's, right? Nope. Walmart has their model built to their price point and their average consumer. Who is different from an electronics store customer. Mowers are marketed the same way.

I don't need a zero turn or anything large, so I picked up a used Cub Cadet rear motor mower for $900. Runds great and fits through a standard 32" gate. I use the hose attachment to rinse under the deck every other mow. My only complaint has been some uneven mowing patterns, but I think it just needs a sharper blade.

What model?

If it's the recent one those are about $1500 new.
The MTD version though IDENTICAL except for being red instead of yellow were on the floor at farm and fleet, back to back and the red one was $300 less just because of the name. Rear engine riders are becoming a joke. Everyone used to have decent ones, the best having been the snappers (think Forrest Gump) and the Ariens but cub, (back in IH days), Sears, and about every used to be popular brand of riding mower used to have something decent in that department even the old Murray's we're better than the newer ones and they were considered "junk" back then.

I bought mom a customer return rear engine 30" Troy Built for $200 less than retail a few years ago. She needed something that fit through her gate.

Same mower is now sold as Craftsman.

It's been OK.
Yesterday the blade stopped engaging. Lever is way hard to pull and the cable seems to attach to a bracket that isn't designed to move (!?)
Other than that, the steering gears are exposed and dry out causing it to stick at full lock, which is unnerving for an old lady. No oil filter (!?), and the oil drained right onto the frame. Come on, MFG, at least install a 5" pipe or hose (like I did to solve that- actually a braided line with a valve).
At least I can work on this one (which is what I'll be doing today).
Before that she had bought a Weed Eater brand rear engine that was an absolute piece of CRAP.

I have owned a Zero turn Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki engine. My dad still has it today. Almost zero repairs and it 12 years old. I currently own a Ferris zero turn with a Kawasaki engine. They are oranges to apples in regards to the quality however so is the price.....

But for the average person looking to maintain a yard the Cub cadet is great. I did not see a difference in the quality of cutting on my yard. I don't regret the Ferris purchase however it did me no good......

JW
Dont buy one with the briggs engine, mower been great, its ready for its third engine with only 200 hrs on it.
Briggs V-tech engine is the biggest POS known to man, the valves will not stay in adjustment.
Current engine is so bad, you have to adjust the valves, mow the grass once, when you shut it off it will not start.
Let it cool off, re-adjust the valves, it will start again. Total POS

Dont buy one with the briggs engine, mower been great, its ready for its third engine with only 200 hrs on it.
Briggs V-tech engine is the biggest POS known to man, the valves will not stay in adjustment.
Current engine is so bad, you have to adjust the valves, mow the grass once, when you shut it off it will not start.
Let it cool off, re-adjust the valves, it will start again. Total POS

After a one time Kohler experience I knew Kawasaki is the only engine for me on my Mowers. I have a 1992 JD pushmower with a Kawasaki engine that starts first pull.

JW

...and of course...

After talking it up...my blade engage cable seized up on me.
It just about kicked my ***.
Dang consumer level melted plastic end retainer on the lever, couldn't remove it and had to work the cable with the dash disassembled and the lever bracket off and back on with 2 bolts every time I worked it back and forth.....from inside the dash.

Lay down, pull cable, stand up, spray graphite, bend over, work cable, lay down, spray graphite, pull cable, stand up.....
...about 50 times.

I'll be buying a good one fixin to sell my car.They hard part is being home to show it.

I have an '80's Wheelhorse with a cast iron Kohler engine. Got it out of the junkyard, needed points and a fuel pump. The deck and spindles are in excellent shape.

IMG_1552.JPG

29 years of numerous riding mowers and flail mowers behind the tractor cutting 10 acres +/- taking countless hours everytime I cut. Grenaded the latest flail mower gear box a couple of weeks ago. I'm not messing around anymore...
received_477722497124079.jpeg

Here's a blast from the past, Sears brand 3 1/2 hp Lauson with your basic forward and reverse. I remember riding on my dad's lap mowing the front yard with this beast. Never had the heart to pitch it, maybe a restore some day?

IMG_4939.JPG

One of my childhood babysitters, who also had a teenage son, had a rear engine mower called a "Red Devil", that had a stick for a throttle and steering.

You pulled back to increase the throttle.

It was pretty powerful and could pull the wheels.

If you weren't familiar, and pulled it back too far, the wheels would come up and then your natural instinct is to pull the stick to you MORE.

Then the fun (and usually screaming) would ensue.

EDIT-

Pretty sure it was this Simplicity. They may have just called it the red devil.

allis-009-jpg.jpg

The last thing you wanted to do when the wheels came up was let go of that handle.
Note how far forward that one is to be fully at idle.
Can you say- "steep learning curve"?

Last edited:
-
Back