Right/Left hand replacement studs?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
It wasn't me, I swear. I have a friend who is having his 67 Barracuda repainted. The paint shop needed to remove the wheels. They were not aware of the right/left thread (clockwise, counter clockwise is probably the correct terminology) and snapped two off. He has had no luck finding replacement studs for the counter clockwise studs. Does anyone know who or where to get them? Thanks. I'll remember this when I get my 68 Barracuda painted. Oh yes, I explained he could have all of the changed over to clockwise but he doesn't want to go through all that.

They are available. There aren't that many combinations of wheel studs. Many auto parts have trays of wheel studs in the back, especially an older family shop. It wasn't just Mopar that used LH threads on the driver's side. Some sites like Tire Rack list all the wheel bolt patterns and threads. I recall several 60's Japanese cars had LH threads. The kink is if he has the factory K-H disk brakes since those studs were special. There is a post in the last few months on those and where to buy.

Make the paint shop get them. No excuse for snapping studs. It takes an extreme torque to snap them, like jumping on a lug wrench. At least they didn't spin the studs, which would have messed up the hub or axle.

Do you need them for the front drum/disc or the rear as they are all different. PM me

Thanks, that was a great reply and he will appreciate the information. Whe I get to that point, I am thinking about changing my car over to disc brakes. By the way, do you you have a 65 Dart 273? I had one, baby blue, but had to leave it with my youngest brother in Fresno when I moved from California back in 1990. Without my knowledge or permission, before I could get back out to pick it up, he sold it. I sure wish I had that car.

Yes, a 65 Dart w/ 273 (2 bbl, 10" drum brakes), plus 2 other 60's Mopars. Currently LH threads, but would probably change to RH when I replace the drums or add disks someday. Sorry about your Dart. It was probably rust-free in Fresno. I am waiting for a son to call saying "your dumb car broke, so I left it on the interstate 500 miles from you". So far they have acted responsibly, but that attitude is there and they sure don't value what I loan them. Your friend's paint shop seems to have that attitude, but Small Claims Court could set them straight, or just don't pay them until they man up.

the 65 Dart will always be one of my top favorite cars. I wish I still had it. That little 273 even had power steering and those cool valve covers. My 68 Barracuda has the 4 inch bolt pattern. I am debating whether or not to upgrade when I can finally get to the the mechanical part (acquiring the 360 and transmission for this formerly slant six car). I want to go with the chrome rallye wheels and they can be had 14" in both bolt patterns. We shall see. Love your cars.

Do you need them for the front drum/disc or the rear as they are all different. PM me

Hello MOPARPARTS,
I read a thread that you helped a member locate or supply some LH studs for his A-body.

I'm running of places to search, can you help out?

Thanks!

If any of you guys are interested, i found 3 of those obsolete Left Hand thread wheel studs for the Kelsey Hayes disc brake set up's, when i closed down the storage locker i was renting, for my car parts, and toolboxes.
I don't need them anymore, as i am not rebuilding those brakes for sale anymore.
$10.00 each + the mailman + 3% Pay Pal fee.
My regular e mail is hemi71x@aol.com
Jim V.

I'd have to check but think I might have some as well.

Hello MOPARPARTS,
I read a thread that you helped a member locate or supply some LH studs for his A-body.

I'm running of places to search, can you help out?

Thanks!

Left handed studs have been obsolete for quite a while. I ran in to a couple of treasure troves that had them still in stock, bought all of them but I have sold all the extras. Unless you get extremely lucky you will probably have to get them used or change to all right handed threads.

For everyone's information, I just looked on rock auto under 70 dart and they do have several left hand thread wheel studs listed, looks like a bunch are on close out. Might be worth looking into for people interested.

I just checked Rock Auto. All they have for KH A-body disc are the 610-130 Dorman rt hand thread. The LH thread they show for disc are 1/2" thread.

For everyone's information, I just looked on rock auto under 70 dart and they do have several left hand thread wheel studs listed, looks like a bunch are on close out. Might be worth looking into for people interested.

There is something wrong with some of their information. 70 Dart never used 11" brakes and all the studs I have had were 7/16" threads instead of the 1/2" they are listing on some of them.

There is something wrong with some of their information. 70 Dart never used 11" brakes and all the studs I have had were 7/16" threads instead of the 1/2" they are listing on some of them.

Yeah, I figured that was bleed over information for B or C bodies.

-
Back